How long should a coach have tenure on a team?

Championshiporbust

23 hours ago, biggie. said:

In today's NFL he would have been canned in 87 or 88. 

He missed the playoffs 4 straight years with prime Dan Marino and was allowed to keep his job

Edited by CP3MVP

22 hours ago, Championshiporbust said:

What about Shanahan? Should he have left with Elway in '99? He only had 1 playoff win in the post-Elway era and left in 2008......

I think that is why some coaches aspire to win 3 straight titles and walk into the sunset....free agency/salary cap breaks up teams and teams go downhill

I think Belichick wins one more and rides into the sunset 

I woulda canned him after 2006

1 hour ago, CP3MVP said:

He missed the playoffs 4 straight years with prime Dan Marino and was allowed to keep his job

Rebuilding years which led to more Shula playoff wins. 

"Playoff wins" what a concept. Dolphins have very few of those in the 27 years since he retired. Miss that Shula guy. 

37 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Rebuilding years which led to more Shula playoff wins. 

"Playoff wins" what a concept. Dolphins have very few of those in the 27 years since he retired. Miss that Shula guy. 

One good playoff year in 1992 was worth missing the playoffs 4 years in a row?

Edited by CP3MVP

This is a great question.

Pete Carroll deserved to be fired after that SB blunder. I get why he was kept but it was earned.

The Seahawks won 3 playoff games in the 7 years since and they are crumbling now.

I am sure some new coach could have been worse. I am also sure some new coach could have been much better.

NOTE: Pete got no tenure in NE and it worked out really well for them.

I think coaching tenure should never be a thing.

Edited by SkippyX

John Fox and Tony Dungy had zero tenure and the teams held parades shortly after.

0-2 in the playoffs Marty had zero tenure after a 14-2 season. Norv had SD a Tom Brady away from a SB the next year (3 playoff wins in 2 years)

The Eagles fired a HoF coach after 14 years and won the SB 5 years later (with lots of his players and his KC OC as coach)

Billick was fired in Baltimore 1 year removed from 13-3 and Harbaugh won 9 playoff games in 5 years including the 2012 SB.

Harbaugh's agent has instructed me to make sure you don't look at his last 9 years in the playoffs...

Slappy Fisher got about 5 years of tenure in Tennessee (0 playoff wins)

Slappy Fisher got 3 more years of tenure in STL/LA.

Marvin Lewis got a solid 8 to 10 years of tenure in Cincy (0 playoff wins)

2 hours ago, SkippyX said:

The Seahawks won 3 playoff games in the 7 years since and they are crumbling now.

They've had a winning record in 9/10 seasons with the only exception being last year when Russell Wilson was hurt and the other 3 teams in their division made the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

They've had a winning record in 9/10 seasons with the only exception being last year when Russell Wilson was hurt and the other 3 teams in their division made the playoffs. 

If the goal is to coast off of back to back SBs with 7 years of being about the 10th best team each year then congrats.

That's never the goal.

Marvin Lewis was a great coach if you think some 10 win seasons with playoff humiliation is what fans want.

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

If the goal is to coast off of back to back SBs with 7 years of being about the 10th best team each year then congrats.

That's never the goal.

Marvin Lewis was a great coach if you think some 10 win seasons with playoff humiliation is what fans want.

I think that the goal is to win games and be a contender, they've had a decade of being competitive including two Super Bowl appearances and a Super Bowl win.

Andy Reid is 1-1 in the Super Bowl in 9 years with the Chiefs. 

Mike Tomlin is 1-1 in the Super Bowl in 15 years with the Steelers and has won 3 playoff games over the last 11 seasons. 

5 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Since Mike Tomlin led the Steelers to the Super Bowl in 2011 they've made the playoffs 7 times in 11 years and have only advanced past the Wild Card round twice. So he should be fired immediately too right?

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Since Mike Tomlin led the Steelers to the Super Bowl in 2011 they've made the playoffs 7 times in 11 years and have only advanced past the Wild Card round twice. So he should be fired immediately too right?

Lets pretend the AFCCG did not happen is always a great argument.

Also, the Steelers are the definition of tenure.

They have had 3 coaches in 50+ years.

If they have a bad year this year and extend no playoff wins to 6 years then he deserves to be fired in the NFL.

Its up to the Steelers to decide how they handle it.

Its weird because 2 of those years they only played a QB because of tenure.

Tenure in Pittsburgh is not a current success story. (unless being 1 of 12 or 14 teams to make the playoffs is your definition of success)

Edited by SkippyX