Veterans Free Agents that could help Packers in 2022.

jleisher

17 hours ago, Smidgeon said:

Honestly, I think our WR is already set.  Sure, we're leaning on the rookies a bit, but we have our highest WR pick since Jordy  Javon Walker and two in the later rounds that may be steals.  Even if only one of those two hit (my money is on Doubs), we have Lazard, Watkins, Watson, Cobb, Rodgers, Doubs/Toure.  Unless Rodgers really whiffed and/or Cobb lost too much from last year (either of which are possible), I'd rather wait to see how the rookies do first.

fify

8 minutes ago, n8ghee said:

Signing Lazard to a bigger contract right now is just signing up for overpriced mediocrity. It’d be like the Dean Lowry contract, where we are all questioning how he got that much money two years from now.

Lowry has been worth every dollar of his contract. As for Lazard, I don't see why there is any reason to sign him to an extension now. See how the rookies look after the season and go from there with Lazard's contract situation, if it's not looking good with the younger players, they can always revisit it during the season.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R T said:

Lowry has been worth every dollar of his contract. As for Lazard, I don't see why there is any reason to sign him to an extension now. See how the rookies look after the season and go from there with Lazard's contract situation, if it's not looking good with the younger players, they can always revisit it during the season.   

Agree to disagree. Lowry’s level of play has been very replaceable. He had a nice stretch last year, I’ll give him that.

Edited by n8ghee
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, n8ghee said:

Agree to disagree. Lowry’s level of play has been very replaceable. He had a nice stretch last year, I’ll give him that.

Every player is replaceable, but at what cost. Lowry played in 15 games as a rookie and every game since then with an average cap number of 2,427,565.30 per year for his 6 seasons. OTC puts his valuation at 7.745M per season, that's over 5M per season than his average cap number has been. For a player that never misses a game and plays is guts out at a bargain price he doesn't get much respect from many in the Packer fanbase. Should be a player loved by fans, not despised by them.     

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, R T said:

Every player is replaceable, but at what cost. Lowry played in 15 games as a rookie and every game since then with an average cap number of 2,427,565.30 per year for his 6 seasons. OTC puts his valuation at 7.745M per season, that's over 5M per season than his average cap number has been. For a player that never misses a game and plays is guts out at a bargain price he doesn't get much respect from many in the Packer fanbase. Should be a player loved by fans, not despised by them.     

Outside of a stretch last year, Lowry's best ability has been availability.

Here's how I feel about Lowry.  He was overused out of necessity.  He's a worker.  He's not flashy.  But I can't wait to see him in a true DL rotation.  I think he will produce nicely in a rotation where he doesn't have to eat as many snaps as he has in the past.

Lazard to me is like Lowry in that he is a worker.  Does the dirty work.  Not flashy.  But he works.  I don't know that we could find another Lazard easily.  The guy truly is self less.  I hope we re-sign him at some point and time.  

• Like 3

I agree Lowry was worth every penny. 7M per year for a solid rotational DL when we didn’t have anyone was a good deal. 

Now we have Wyatt and maybe Slayton. He could be a cap casualty next year. 

YouTube has a video of every Lazard target from the 2021 season. He’s very limited as a WR but he blocks like a TE and opens up the run game so he’s valuable to a run first offense.

I think our leading WR is going to be Christian Watson, as the vertical threat to our heavy rushing offense in 2022. Watson might be a little limited in what he does (no slants, outs or digs) but he’s exceptional at the things he does well. And they fit what we’re trying to do. 

1 hour ago, R T said:

Yup.  Lowry has been good value-per-dollar, and no urgency on Lazard now.  

12 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

if julio is 6m and lazard is 4m, how do you not go julio?

Because Lazard knows the offense and does all the dirty work within it?

No way Julio is going to want to block in the run game like that.

• Like 1