Saints sign WR Jarvis Landry to 1 year deal

ACO

1 hour ago, Sauce Castillo said:

It still will be basically the same offense. 

They'll be scenarios where we will clearly miss Sean but people act like they will forget how to play football.

Even if you dont necessarily believe in the Saints just look at the division. They are at least the 2nd best team there by a longshot and the "top" team also has a coaching change with a 45 year old QB. 

Is Nik Stauskas really posting on a football message board right now....

3 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Jameis looked MUCH improved last season before he got hurt. He stopped turning the ball over 3+ times a game, and he did it with a bad receiving core. If Thomas comes back decent, and Kamara doesn't face severe consequences, I could see the Saints making the playoffs. And once you get there anything can happen, especially if they play the Bucs.

Yeah the Saints will be good next year, they were above .500 last season despite having 4 different starting QB's and the least productive WR group in the league. Their defense should still be one of the top tier units in the league, they're getting Thomas back and they just added Olave/Landry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SWATcha said:

I feel Allen has grown quite a lot these last few years as DC. Hopefully that translates over to HC this time around as well. 

Underrated move was keeping Pete Carmichael on as OC. He was with Payton from the start and was always an integral part of all those Saints offenses. (As well as handling play calling duties on many occasions). I think he can keep Winston rolling down the same road he was on last year. 

I don't think people understand how good he really is when it comes to calling a offense.  When Sean had to go away from the team and Pete took over the entire play calling duties.  The saints were not only as good as when sean was there but i would argue it was in the top 3 offensive seasons the entire time Sean was there.   Pete Carmichael was one of the main guys i was hoping the Falcons would look to hire as a HC when we picked up Arthur Smith which im ok with as well i like AS.   But i think Fontenot coming from NO and Carmichael working under him again would have been a very good pairing as well to continue their schemes here.

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

That’s Tom’s offense, I don’t really view it the same. Plus, the offensive player caller is staying the same, you’re not going to a new play caller. 

Much more talented team headed by a HOF QB is a different story.

That more talented team has been swept the last 2 years and got shut out by a team starting Trevor Siemian and Taysom Hill.

People can believe that Tom Brady will never be bad but the longer he plays the odds just dont support that.

Much more talented is a stretch. Id like to see how Tampa would do starting 4 QBs in 1 year. 

9 minutes ago, Sauce Castillo said:

People can believe that Tom Brady will never be bad but the longer he plays the odds just dont support that.

The odds are against the sixth round pick, x7 SB winning, 44 year old QB whose just thrown for 10,000 yards and 80+ TDs in the past two seasons? You don’t say?

Are you saying you believe Brady will be bad this year?

Saints will be competitive, but they’re not contenders. 

Losing Armstead, Williams, Jenkins and Payton will hurt a lot. 

What version of Michael Thomas will we see ? The guy has seen basically no snaps since 2020. Plus, he put up insane numbers due to his chemistry with Brees. Will it translate with Winston?

Lastly, let’s see how Kamara plays this year. He is still very good, but RB who are several years into the league are all prone to fall off a cliff (see Gurley, Zeke, David Johnson, L. Bell). Chances are, Kamara does not have many years left in the tank

38 minutes ago, Dalan162 said:

Saints will be competitive, but they’re not contenders. 

Losing Armstead, Williams, Jenkins and Payton will hurt a lot. 

What version of Michael Thomas will we see ? The guy has seen basically no snaps since 2020. Plus, he put up insane numbers due to his chemistry with Brees. Will it translate with Winston?

Lastly, let’s see how Kamara plays this year. He is still very good, but RB who are several years into the league are all prone to fall off a cliff (see Gurley, Zeke, David Johnson, L. Bell). Chances are, Kamara does not have many years left in the tank

I’m sorry but your rationale for Kamara makes no sense, especially regarding 2022. He’s a stud, low usage RB who will be 27 this year. If your argument was that he could be suspended, that’s a valid argument. 

A ton had to go wrong for the Saints to not be a playoff team last year. In spite of all of those significant issues, a stupid Rams loss to the 49ers was the difference between making and missing the playoffs. The reason is the defense. When you have a top 3 defense (and frankly, they could be the best this year) you have a great chance to be a playoff team. Winston’s not a superstar but he played well last year without any help. Now he’ll have the most talented offense he’s ever been apart of. Certainly, things have to fall into place…Thomas has to be healthy, Winston has to be healthy, Kamara has to not get suspended for a long stretch, and the safeties have to have at least some level of rapport. But those are all very real possibilities…and if at least most of those things happen, this will probably be among the most talented teams in the NFL.

Getting Wil Lutz back is also a significant addition that others are under appreciating. The Saints are a playoff team last year if Lutz is playing. I understand that Payton is a great coach, but this entire surrounding cast is still present, and the talent level on this 2022 team is astronomical better than the 2021, especially on offense. 

• Like 1

Interested in seeing how much the contract is worth.

Most Cleveland fans would have been happy to have him back, but he simply wasn't worth what he was being paid. I think he'll do well in New Orleans, though.

24 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Interested in seeing how much the contract is worth.

Most Cleveland fans would have been happy to have him back, but he simply wasn't worth what he was being paid. I think he'll do well in New Orleans, though.

6 million 

15 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

They swept the Bucs last year and missed the playoffs by half of a game…without a QB, WR, and depleted OL. They could certainly contend. 

Definitely. People are sleeping on the Saints. They looked really good before Jameis got hurt and still played well despite all the injuries. Having the team fairly healthy, including the return of Michael Thomas could make that division a toss up. Time will tell but I don't Saints improved a lot this offseason.

2 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

is he strictly a slot ? 

I feel like he’s gotta be able to line up outside. Olave can’t handle outside full time in the NFL yet. I think they’ll swap around and Landry will be a good mentor for Olave. I also don’t know if Michael Thomas just suffers from the Julio Jones problem, being so big and athletic his body just can’t take that strain.

8 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

The odds are against the sixth round pick, x7 SB winning, 44 year old QB whose just thrown for 10,000 yards and 80+ TDs in the past two seasons? You don’t say?

Are you saying you believe Brady will be bad this year?

I believe they're saying that Brady won't go for ~5,000 yards and ~40 TDs again. I could see 30 TDs and ~4,000 yards. We saw Brady win a Super Bowl with less than 30 TDs in the regular season. He'll still be Brady, but I don't think it's crazy to expect a late-career Philip Rivers type of season at some point. Still top-10 or so, but not world-beating? 

11 minutes ago, iloxygenil said:

I feel like he’s gotta be able to line up outside. Olave can’t handle outside full time in the NFL yet. I think they’ll swap around and Landry will be a good mentor for Olave. I also don’t know if Michael Thomas just suffers from the Julio Jones problem, being so big and athletic his body just can’t take that strain.

I wanted my Raiders to take a look at him as WR2 but everyone kept saying he is strictly a slot. We have Hunter Renfrow in the slot, but have a need for a WR2. Landry would have been nice, I think we are contenders and need another wideout