Eagles to sign veteran LB Dannell Ellerbe

Phire

15 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

I think of him as more a backup to Bradham then a MLB. He's strictly been a 3-4 ILB iIrc, guess we'll see. Sorry @Phire didn't click any links but when did the signing take place over the bye? Don't understand it if they plan on putting him in the middle with only a week to prepare with the defense 

We first worked him out on October 30. Officially signed him this Monday I believe. I don't know how much he knows of our defense, but this is emergency depth at this point so I don't think it's that big of a deal that he isn't ready to go ASAP. He's not here to be the starter unless someone else knows differently. 

42 minutes ago, Phire said:

We first worked him out on October 30. Officially signed him this Monday I believe. I don't know how much he knows of our defense, but this is emergency depth at this point so I don't think it's that big of a deal that he isn't ready to go ASAP. He's not here to be the starter unless someone else knows differently. 

I agree with all of that, I just don't see him being a MLB. More SLB backing up Bradham or moving Bradham inside in the base defense. If/when he shows he can still play. 

9 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

I agree with all of that, I just don't see him being a MLB. More SLB backing up Bradham or moving Bradham inside in the base defense. If/when he shows he can still play. 

Ellerbe has started games at middle and weak-side linebacker. He admitted he'll be playing both roles with the Eagles, but likely will take snaps away from Joe Walker in base defense at MIKE. Walker has played just 44 snaps over the past two weeks. 

"He's a hitter," said Nigel Bradham. "For those of us who've been following the game for a while, we've all seen him play. He's a physical, hard-nosed linebacker. He's got speed. He's going to be a great addition for us. And he added depth. We're deeper now."

Archived