The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

20 minutes ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Apologies if this possibility has already been discussed, but what if Bryce Young falls to #7 (presumably because of size concerns)? Do we take him and hope he’s a more durable version of Tua, or do we trade the pick to the highest bidder?

You take him if you think he’s a franchise QB. 

56 minutes ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Apologies if this possibility has already been discussed, but what if Bryce Young falls to #7 (presumably because of size concerns)? Do we take him and hope he’s a more durable version of Tua, or do we trade the pick to the highest bidder?

I definitely know what I’d do, trade all the way!! 👍👍

1 hour ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Highest bidder all day. 

Dude may have everything needed upstairs to be successful, he may even have a rocket for an arm. But he's built like a middle schooler. He's going to get obliterated in the NFL more likely than not. 

If he does succeed, it wouldn't be with a team like the Raiders. Our OL would get him crippled unless they improve leaps and bounds overnight. And Bama QBs just aren't as good as advertised, imo. Not top 10 pick worthy whatsoever thus far. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Highest bidder all day. 

Dude may have everything needed upstairs to be successful, he may even have a rocket for an arm. But he's built like a middle schooler. He's going to get obliterated in the NFL more likely than not. 

If he does succeed, it wouldn't be with a team like the Raiders. Our OL would get him crippled unless they improve leaps and bounds overnight. And Bama QBs just aren't as good as advertised, imo. Not top 10 pick worthy whatsoever thus far. 

Couldn’t you say the same thing about Stroud though? Ohio State QBs haven’t lit it up in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Couldn’t you say the same thing about Stroud though? Ohio State QBs haven’t lit it up in the NFL. 

I'm not a fan of Stroud either. 

This class reminds me of the 2019 class. 

Young - Murray. Wouldn't touch him. Supposed to revolutionize the game, been average at best with a few glimpses here and there when heavily protected by scheme and raw athletic ability- works against bad teams, not good ones. 

Stroud- Haskins. A lot of people loved Haskins. Stroud is better, but that's relative. Another relatively immobile pocket passer from Ohio St's NFL factory, imo. 

Levis- Jones. Athletic toolsy guy who played for an underdog program but needs work. 

Richardson- Lock. Guy people swore early would be great and a top 10 type. Once evaluated, stock drops and the hype dies down. 

Frankly, I wouldn't touch any of the first rounders with a mile long pole. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Yep, focus on the last 2 sentences.....LOL! The post was more about his size, the school thing was just added emphasis. And that’s why I say you’d argue with a stump....LOL!  But it’s not surprising considering you’re “the only guy on this forum who knows football”......LMFAO! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Young - Murray. Wouldn't touch him. Supposed to revolutionize the game, been average at best with a few glimpses here and there when heavily protected by scheme and raw athletic ability- works against bad teams, not good ones. 

Stroud- Haskins. A lot of people loved Haskins. Stroud is better, but that's relative. Another relatively immobile pocket passer from Ohio St's NFL factory, imo. 

Levis- Jones. Athletic toolsy guy who played for an underdog program but needs work. 

Richardson- Lock. Guy people swore early would be great and a top 10 type. Once evaluated, stock drops and the hype dies down. 

Poor take. And I'm not a big fan of this class.  

Young - does everything exceptionally well. His downside is his size. Much more finesse than Murray as a passer and his ability to read defense. 

Stroud - Comping him to Haskins is completely lazy. Haskins was a one year wonder. Had no anticipation or touch on his ball. Sluggish, flat footed athlete who ran a 5 flat 40. Stroud is nuanced passer at every level of the field. He showed he is not immobile and make throws on the run. Deadly accurate passer who throws with plus anticipation. Most comp him to Burrow.

Levis - Has an elite arm that Jones did not have. Better size and more upside. 

Richardson - Is a top 3 athlete playing QB the moment he enters the NFL. Elite skill set but completely raw.  Potential is through the roof. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Poor take. And I'm not a big fan of this class.  

Young - does everything exceptionally well. His downside is his size. Much more finesse than Murray as a passer and his ability to read defense. 

Stroud - Comping him to Haskins is completely lazy. Haskins was a one year wonder. Had no anticipation or touch on his ball. Sluggish, flat footed athlete who ran a 5 flat 40. Stroud is nuanced passer at every level of the field. He showed he is not immobile and make throws on the run. Deadly accurate passer who throws with plus anticipation. Most comp him to Burrow.

Levis - Has an elite arm that Jones did not have. Better size and more upside. 

Richardson - Is a top 3 athlete playing QB the moment he enters the NFL. Elite skill set but completely raw.  Potential is through the roof. 

Poor take. I think your take sucks and is based solely on feelings and clichés like someone's tools without context. 

As usual, we're on opposite sides of different coins. No need to further discuss. 

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I personally like Young and Stroud, I’d be hesitant to leverage a ton of draft capital to move up to take either one. If either falls to us at #7 I’d be comfortable with them there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Young is a way better prospect than Murray for sure. I can see the comparison, but Young’s better in just about every faucet except running speed. 

Stroud and Haskins are nothing alike. Not even 1%. If anything, you can comp Stroud to Fields but not Haskins. Haskins was lazy at footwork, his ball lacked velocity, and his character was subpar. Haskins is the most criticized QB prospect on here by me leading up to a draft. I wrote many posts how his velocity is terrible, and how many of his balls will be INTs, both short and deep. Also, he was out of shape and going to be a nightmare/statue in the pocket, the guy sweated his *** off at his pro day. Haskins character was also OFF, kept talking about his brand with his dad leading up to the draft, and money this money that. I hated the vibes he gave off. 

Jones and Levis are similar in the fact they are from small schools with horrible casts. Jones was more polished but his raw traits are garbage. He was hyped up because he was coached up so well since he was a kid. But his arm is meh, and his natural ability is meh. Levis is less polished but he has a god damn laser arm, tough as nails and will take that last second hit to get a throw off, and can scramble for 1st downs similar to Big Ben. 

Richardson, Lock? Weird one, but I can see the arms compared. Lock had a good arm, but his accuracy was always terrible. Richardson has a rocket arm, and while his accuracy is also bad, he does make some gorgeous throws sometime. Plus, you’re also drafting Richardson for his Lamar-Like ability as well. 

This QB class is meh but you’re dumping on it too hard. Richardson and Levis have two of the best arms I’ve seen since Herbert 2020 and Allen 2018. 

Young with better size, like bulkier and 2 inches taller, is a Elite QB prospect like Lawrence, Burrow, etc. Unfortunately his size is a HUGE gamble… always gonna miss a couple games here and there. And can he see over the LoS middle of the field?

Stroud is a premium passer with premium accuracy and knowledge. He’s not flashy…. nothing about him is flashy. He doesn’t have a rocket arm, but it’s a solid arm. He doesn’t have crazy escape ability, but it is there. Stroud is an old school QB that has solid mechanics, accuracy, size, and decision making. He likely will never be a Top 5 QB… but in a system like McDaniels, the guy can ball and be Top 10 every year. His escape ability is definitely better than Carr, Prescott, Cousins, etc. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Young is a way better prospect than Murray for sure. I can see the comparison, but Young’s better in just about every faucet except running speed. 

Stroud and Haskins are nothing alike. Not even 1%. If anything, you can comp Stroud to Fields but not Haskins. Haskins was lazy at footwork, his ball lacked velocity, and his character was subpar. Haskins is the most criticized QB prospect on here by me leading up to a draft. I wrote many posts how his velocity is terrible, and how many of his balls will be INTs, both short and deep. Also, he was out of shape and going to be a nightmare/statue in the pocket, the guy sweated his *** off at his pro day. Haskins character was also OFF, kept talking about his brand with his dad leading up to the draft, and money this money that. I hated the vibes he gave off. 

Jones and Levis are similar in the fact they are from small schools with horrible casts. Jones was more polished but his raw traits are garbage. He was hyped up because he was coached up so well since he was a kid. But his arm is meh, and his natural ability is meh. Levis is less polished but he has a god damn laser arm, tough as nails and will take that last second hit to get a throw off, and can scramble for 1st downs similar to Big Ben. 

Richardson, Lock? Weird one, but I can see the arms compared. Lock had a good arm, but his accuracy was always terrible. Richardson has a rocket arm, and while his accuracy is also bad, he does make some gorgeous throws sometime. Plus, you’re also drafting Richardson for his Lamar-Like ability as well. 

This QB class is meh but you’re dumping on it too hard. Richardson and Levis have two of the best arms I’ve seen since Herbert 2020 and Allen 2018. 

Young with better size, like bulkier and 2 inches taller, is a Elite QB prospect like Lawrence, Burrow, etc. Unfortunately his size is a HUGE gamble… always gonna miss a couple games here and there. And can he see over the LoS middle of the field?

Stroud is a premium passer with premium accuracy and knowledge. He’s not flashy…. nothing about him is flashy. He doesn’t have a rocket arm, but it’s a solid arm. He doesn’t have crazy escape ability, but it is there. Stroud is an old school QB that has solid mechanics, accuracy, size, and decision making. He likely will never be a Top 5 QB… but in a system like McDaniels, the guy can ball and be Top 10 every year. His escape ability is definitely better than Carr, Prescott, Cousins, etc. 

Fwiw, not all comparisons are necessarily ***-for-tat physical ones. 

IE: To me, the Richardson/Lock one, as I said, focuses more on the circumstances and narratives. Lock was, at one point, ballyhooed as a potential 1.1 pick before it settled into typical first rounder, and ultimately slid as his game was critiqued. We're seeing a similar situation with Richardson- much ballyhooed  early on as people salivated over him, but now that his game is being critiqued, it's much easier to see him as a faller. 

Micro vs macro, if you will. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1