The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

On 9/27/2022 at 3:00 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Or maybe play Koonce 

I don’t get why he doesn’t play more, every time he gets an opportunity he produces. Probably not a 3 down type of guy just yet, but he’s earned more reps. 

19 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

Just watched the Kentucky vs Ole Miss game.

Levis has a very impressive arm. But his pocket awareness and escape ability leave much to be desired. He needs a clean pocket to function. Ole Miss was destroying Kentucky's O-line today.

So a Derek Carr clone.   🤪

Whoops just saw someone beat me to it. lol  

Edited by G

7 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

The 2023 QB class is starting to look like the 2022 class. All the prospects except Stroud seem to have glaring flaws. No more QB scouting for me.

They gave flaws, yes, but the '22 class was one of the worst is recent history.  This next class is, IMO, light years ahead of '22. There's a lot of potential and proven talent with people like Stroud and Young but the potential with guys like Levi's, Leery, DJ U (surprisingly), McKee, etc is far greater than what we had last year which was utter trash

21 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

They gave flaws, yes, but the '22 class was one of the worst is recent history.  This next class is, IMO, light years ahead of '22. There's a lot of potential and proven talent with people like Stroud and Young but the potential with guys like Levi's, Leery, DJ U (surprisingly), McKee, etc is far greater than what we had last year which was utter trash

I kinda agree with this. But this year's class is not that strong either. I would call it top heavy.

Stroud = 1st overall pick

Young = 1st round

Levis = Late 1st round

Leary, McKee, and DJ Uiagalelei = 2nd round picks.

DJ may be this year's Jalen Hurts. He improved his passing from last year which shows a good work ethic.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

I kinda agree with this. But this year's class is not that strong either. I would call it top heavy.

Stroud = 1st overall pick

Young = 1st round

Levis = Late 1st round

Leary, McKee, and DJ Uiagalelei = 2nd round picks.

DJ may be this year's Jalen Hurts. He improved his passing from last year which shows a good work ethic.

DJ dropping weight was the best thing for him to do. He looks so much better and not as slow like last year. I like your evaluation of draft spots now. That alone shows the disparity between this year and last year's class. I didn't have anything higher than a 3rd round grade on any QB last year. Maybe they'll surprise me

14 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Hendon Hooker plays in a gimmicky offense, only sees half the field, and will be 25 years old when the 2023 draft starts.

If he gets drafted, it will be in a lower round. It's doubtful any franchise will use a high draft pick on a 25 year old project QB.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

Hendon Hooker plays in a gimmicky offense, only sees half the field, and will be 25 years old when the 2023 draft starts.

If he gets drafted, it will be in a lower round. It's doubtful any franchise will use a high draft pick on a 25 year old project QB.

Brandon Weeden in the 1st at 27 year old says Hello

18 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

Weeden was drafted by the Cleveland Browns..... Need I say more?

Being 25 at Draft time isn’t gonna stop a  team from drafting an elite prospect if they feel like he’s their guy. In the NBA, yes that’s a valid argument 

2 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Being 25 at Draft time isn’t gonna stop a  team from drafting an elite prospect if they feel like he’s their guy. In the NBA, yes that’s a valid argument 

Hendon Hooker is not an elite prospect IMO. Weeden was ahead of him as a passer. But I can see your side of the argument. If a QB is pro ready and you think you can get at least 10 years out of him, why not draft him high? Hendon Hooker is not pro ready though.