The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

59 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

We can probably shelve the Carr trading until he officially waves his no-trade clause. It's very likely we won't get a damn thing from him

I agree. I've been saying this for a while now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I agree. I've been saying this for a while now.

Everyone likes to apply best case scenario to everything in the off-season in hopes that their dreams can come true when in reality, barely any of them ever happen lol. Carr might waive the clause b/c he might not get that money on the open market but if he's the giant ******* a lot of people in here claim he is, why would he?  He's got plenty of money and taking 10 mill less won't do much damage to his net worth..... or he's not as big of an ******* as everyone here likes to make him seem and he will do it.

We'll see soon enough

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Everyone likes to apply best case scenario to everything in the off-season in hopes that their dreams can come true when in reality, barely any of them ever happen lol. Carr might waive the clause b/c he might not get that money on the open market but if he's the giant ******* a lot of people in here claim he is, why would he?  He's got plenty of money and taking 10 mill less won't do much damage to his net worth..... or he's not as big of an ******* as everyone here likes to make him seem and he will do it.

We'll see soon enough

Biggest contradiction I've seen is people on this forum saying he isn't worth 40M on the market, but a team will still trade picks/players away to take on that contract.  Why would they?  Why give up draft capital/players for DC if teams don't think he is worth that much?  If teams don't think he is worth 40M per season, then why not wait for him to hit FA and try to sign him for less without giving up picks/players?

You're right though.  A lot of fans don't know how to see anything other than the best-case scenario.

• Like 3

On 1/26/2023 at 12:16 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Reich to Carolina? 

I'm calling them today and offering Carr + 7 for 9 + 39 + 92 or 9 + 60 + 92. 

Panthers get a QB and jump two spots

Raiders get Carr off the books to stay in the top 10 and add some day 2 ammo. 

If you don't want to screw around with the 7th pick, Carr for 39 and 60 or 60, 92, and 112. I'd bet they'd strongly consider it. 

Personally I’m not trading down from 7 unless I’m getting another first. I mean people around talk about how moving from 7-5 would cost 3 firsts alone. Why on earth would Carr plus the first net a swap. Although I really think it would be in the Raiders best interest to get a first next year if they don’t go QB this draft. They’re going to need a guy sooner or later. 

20 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Playing around in a simulator and this is what I got.

7.Tyree Wilson

EDGE Texas Tech

No explanation needed.  Might go much higher when the draft comes around.

46.Siaki Ika

DT Baylor

Massive NT that gives a little push up the middle.

91.Zach Charbonnet

RB UCLA

Tag and trade Jacobs.  Lead back potential but would pair nicely with White.

105.Luke Musgrave

TE Oregon State

Trade Waller and move on.  Injury ended his season or else he might go much higher than this.

107.Tyler Steen

OT Alabama

I think he goes higher than this but he was there.  Physical LT that could start out his career at LG.  Keep Miller on his toes.

117.Luke Schoonmaker

TE Michigan

Moreau is gone in FA and we could use another TE.  This guy probably has a better career as a pro and is a good all around TE

139.Cameron Mitchell

CB Northwestern

Another surprise that he was still there.  Good CB that could play some S.

142.Julius Brents

CB Kansas State

Tall CB that could develop.  Worth the cost.

160.McClendon Curtis

OG Chattanooga

Big RG project.  They can't all be starters right away.

191.Jake Haener

QB Fresno State

Trade Carr and I am sensing a theme.  A little salt in the wound but Haener has some skill.  Probably goes a couple rounds higher than this after it is all over with.  Really just a pick to make sure we do not lose @Humble_Beast to another team this off-season.

There you go gentlemen.  Would have liked to have grabbed a LB or 2 but just not enough picks or value.   Maybe if we got some decent picks from the Carr, Jacobs, and Waller trades.  I think those 3 trades could net 4 picks in the first 2 days.  That would make this draft look really good.

Sign Daron Payne and figure out the QB situation and the team would look much better next year.

I’m 50/50 On blowing it up too. Jake Haener, he would be a first rounder if he was 6’5…. I think he can be a great QB2, I wouldn’t be surprise to see him start at some point in the NFL. 

10 hours ago, Jerry said:

Biggest contradiction I've seen is people on this forum saying he isn't worth 40M on the market, but a team will still trade picks/players away to take on that contract.  Why would they?  Why give up draft capital/players for DC if teams don't think he is worth that much?  If teams don't think he is worth 40M per season, then why not wait for him to hit FA and try to sign him for less without giving up picks/players?

You're right though.  A lot of fans don't know how to see anything other than the best-case scenario.

I do not think he is worth $40 million but there are teams dumb enough to give it to him.  I really think it can be a win win win where we get draft capital in return, a team secures a top 12 QB to make them a playoff team, and Carr's per year goes down but he secures a substantial amount more than $40 million guaranteed over his next contract.  I think that is the sweet spot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

child please 

What does that even mean? He’s completely right.

Your hopes for what we will get for Carr are widely unrealistic. We maybe could have got a 1st & 2nd or two 1sts last off-season, but you have to factor in his new contract in any potential trade. And the fact his play clearly took a step back this year.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Thoughts on trading down to the teens, tagging Jacobs + trading him, and drafting Bijan Robinson? Dude seems like a blue chip RB. 

Would love to trade down and totally cool with tagging or signing Jacobs. In regards to trading him,  not sure that we’d get enough value out of it to make it worthwhile. Rbs just done get a lot of capital in a trade.

As for Robinson, I think he’s a stud, but we aren’t in a position to use another premium pick at the position IMHO.

22 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

As for Robinson, I think he’s a stud, but we aren’t in a position to use another premium pick at the position IMHO.

I get that and agree. I like the idea of getting younger and cheaper at RB while still likely getting very good play.

I would only do so if we get some decent picks from the likes of trading down, Carr, Jacobs, Waller, etc and we have the ammo to move up again for a premium defender or QB.