The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

12 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

If we draft Richardson you 100% need a veteran for a season or two, he's sooooo raw.

And I'm not sure DZ/JMD have enough faith in their job security to take a chance on a player that doesn't even project to be a starter until year 2/3. 

18 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I mean Richardson does have A+ potential but he also has A+++ bust potential too. 

Doesn't really seem to fit JMD's system either. Accuracy is the hardest trait to improve on in the NFL. And everyone has faith that any raw toolsy QB can become a star because Josh Allen did.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Doesn't really seem to fit JMD's system either. Accuracy is the hardest trait to improve on in the NFL. And everyone has faith that any raw toolsy QB can become a star because Josh Allen did.

Yeah accuracy is the biggest thing for McDaniels system. I can see them MAYBE gambling on Levis… but Richardson is the most inaccurate passer of the entire class. 

Also, I think people shouldn’t sleep on Tanner McKee in the 2nd Round. I think he’s a solid project QB prospect that might go higher than people think. Really good kid too. Has every tool and intangible you want. But still raw and needs to clean up mechanics. One year on the bench and he might end up a good NFL QB. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah accuracy is the biggest thing for McDaniels system. I can see them MAYBE gambling on Levis… but Richardson is the most inaccurate passer of the entire class. 

Also, I think people shouldn’t sleep on Tanner McKee in the 2nd Round. I think he’s a solid project QB prospect that might go higher than people think. Really good kid too. Has every tool and intangible you want. But still raw and needs to clean up mechanics. One year on the bench and he might end up a good NFL QB. 

CJ Stroud seems to be the best fit for McDaniels system if we're going to go QB. 

I could see McKee going in the 2nd or 3rd and he looks like he could fit the system, but a lot of things that people say about McKee are things that they said about Davis Mills as well.

On 1/31/2023 at 8:18 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

He was my sleeper I like him better than Paris tbh dam sr bowl 

weigh in at 375 but didn’t look sloppy

you think his weight will be a issue?

I'm hoping he tests meh and slides down to us in the 2nd. Orlando Brown Jr was the best OL in college football but fell crazy on draft night because of the weight concerns.

On 2/1/2023 at 9:38 AM, 101Raider said:

Then trade back from 7 multiple times till we end up with as many 2nd/3rd rounders and prioritize 2024 picks as much possible.

In the this years draft target D-line, RT and G.  Go all-in 2024 draft.

unrealistic, but messing around with a draft simulator, I ended up with:

DE/DT Tuli Tuipulotu (idea is that he plays base end on early downs and moves inside for Ika on passing downs)

RT Darnell Wright

NT Siaki Ika

DT Mazi Smith 

G Jarrett Patterson

and a disgusting amount of 2024 ammo (3 additional 1st round picks plus extra). Totally unrealistic, but I was happy. 

I'd be thrilled if that's how things ended up shaking out for us. Tuli is one of my favorite prospects in the class, adding him and Ika would give us two anchors on the interior going forward. 

I think one of my most ideal situations would be to land Dawand Jones in the 2nd / Jarrett Patterson in the 3rd, plus someone like Ben Powers or Nate Davis in free agency. Adding a good young RT and another versatile interior OL would give us three young, cheap starters to build around going forward. Joe Tippmann and Jarrett Patterson are two guys that intrigue me in the middle rounds because they're versatile enough to play all three interior spots just like Parham. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 9:18 PM, drfrey13 said:

Paris will probably be a LT and Miller moves to the right.  I do not want to resign Jacobs although he played great.  We would be selling high which would be great for once.  Bijan looks like he would be a difference maker right away and if we can pick up a couple picks by trading back it is a win win.  We could go the route of signing a FA but Harris is not close to ether player.

Is Paris that significant of an upgrade that you'd move Kolton to a new position? We can find value at RT in free agency or later in the draft with someone like Darnell Taylor. I agree that Bijan is going to be an absolute monster but JMD has shown he can identify backs in the middle rounds and that his system is extremely RB friendly. I'd prefer someone like Kareem Hunt over Jacobs on a crazy deal or Bijan in the first. 

On 1/29/2023 at 3:37 AM, Chali21 said:

I have to agree with NY on this. If the Raiders had a stable situation at QB I’d be inclined to get rid of Jacobs. They are caught between a rock and a hard place because their offense is probably going to be run heavy. Jacobs will probably fall back in production in 2023 but the Raiders have too many needs on the team to create a hole. 

People act like Jacobs has been a bum since he came into the league but the truth is he’s been average to good. Heck everyone was surprised when they didn’t pick up his option. However what’s been bad and worse in the last 10 years is the defense. I honestly can’t name either outside linebackers for the Raiders, the defensive tackles, 3 Corners or who the strong safety is. And that was at the start of the season after injuries it got even worse!

If we had a stable QB situation I think it'd make more sense to keep Jacobs so we can try to win it. But if we're going to enter a rebuild it doesn't make a ton of sense to pay him when we've invested a ton into other skill guys already. In that same train of thought, we also kind of have too many holes to pay a RB $14-16M APY. 

Jacobs has always been good but he didn't have elite production until this season, a contract year. But we also have a three year sample size of him being good but nowhere near elite.

On 1/29/2023 at 11:18 AM, Darbsk said:

Might be my favourite player in the draft! I thought initially he’d move inside but now I think he can play outside and be moved around like a chess piece all across the line in every formation. 

Tuli is one of my favorite players as well, people seem to have mixed feelings on him though. I think he'll probably end up being a late 1st round guy which sucks because he's not worth #7 but I doubt he'll fall to us. The same thing with Drew Sanders.

• Like 1

I think jmd would go for a guy like hooker crazy accurate smart mature great leadership quality similar to my boy hurts. if it wasn’t for the injury he’d arguably be qb3 in this draft process maybe higher cause he was having a great season. Have him sit a lil and heal up. He said he should be 100% in may. We could actually trade back get more picks and can still get hooker. Imo hooker is the most pro ready qb behind the top 2. 

1 minute ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I think jmd would go for a guy like hooker crazy accurate smart mature great leadership quality similar to my boy hurts. if it wasn’t for the injury he’d arguably be qb3 in this draft process maybe higher cause he was having a great season. Have him sit a lil and heal up. He said he should be 100% in may. We could actually trade back get more picks and can still get hooker. Imo hooker is the most pro ready qb behind the top 2. 

I wouldn't mind Hooker in the middle rounds but I don't love the fact that he'll be turning 26 at the end of his rookie season. 

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

If we draft Richardson you 100% need a veteran for a season or two, he's sooooo raw.

I tried but every game I couldn’t finish besides utah

vs Kentucky Lolol yea nothing to see here

vs Georgia got hurt early and without his legs he looked garbage but it was vs Georgia 

vs Florida st dropped a dime td then got hurt on a scramble never returned after the 1st qtr

i honestly don’t wanna watch anymore I tried he’s a 3 year project I could see him sliding draft night. What team has time to stash him for 2-3 years?

only thing about big guys like him they become big targets for big hits. Not sure how durable he’ll be.

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I tried but every game I couldn’t finish besides utah

vs Georgia got hurt early and without his legs he looked garbage but it was vs Georgia 

vs Florida st dropped a dime td then got hurt on a scramble never returned after the 1st qtr

i honestly don’t wanna watch anymore I tried he’s a 3 year project I could see him sliding draft night. What team has time to stash him for 2-3 years?

only thing about big guys like him they become big targets for big hits. Not sure how durable he’ll be.

The Seahawks and Lions could both be good landing spots for him. They both have good veteran starters and multiple first round picks this year.

Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

Played a lot of college games very experienced pro ready 

He was excellent at Tennessee the last two seasons, at worst I think he'd be a high end backup. Not sure where he goes on draft night after the ACL though. Dorian Thompson-Robinson is someone else I'd be interested in on day three. He's a local kid and has some Jalen Hurts to his game.