The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

The McDaniels' effect.

Moehrig wasn't very good last season but he flashed as a rookie and was a good prospect. I'd prefer to keep him and see how the new defensive staff is with player development. Guys like Hobbs, Moehrig, Koonce, and Deablo should all have a role for us next season.

11 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

So disappointed with Moehrig. I really thought he would be a difference making FS.

Safety is the easiest position to make look silly, when there isnt a lot of talent on a D though. 
I think with better players, he wont always be a second late, and can actually play aggresive instead of trying to be last line of Defence. 
We dont give up to many over the top plays, which is a big part of him. Teams just kill us with a 1000 cuts. 

6 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Safety is the easiest position to make look silly, when there isnt a lot of talent on a D though. 
I think with better players, he wont always be a second late, and can actually play aggresive instead of trying to be last line of Defence. 
We dont give up to many over the top plays, which is a big part of him. Teams just kill us with a 1000 cuts. 

He just has zero ball skills, Harmon isn't that good but he's always around the ball and actually generates turnovers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Why trade him and create another hole? 

Because he isn't very good and they need a better FS.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Moehrig wasn't very good last season but he flashed as a rookie and was a good prospect. I'd prefer to keep him and see how the new defensive staff is with player development. Guys like Hobbs, Moehrig, Koonce, and Deablo should all have a role for us next season.

"He flashed" should be the new Raider moto. If any of the "he flashed" guys every panned out for the Raiders, they would have had a dynasty the last 20 years. 

Like Mullen, Edwards, Abram, Leatherwood.... he's not as good as Raider fans want him and if they can move him for a day 3 pick, do it. Get a better FS.  

Edited by big_palooka

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

we should be disappointed in Graham.

Graham out there blowing coverage and missing tackles? 

Moehrig played ok in Bradley's cover 3 system where he could sit back. Asked to step up in a bigger role, he looked overmatched. Another Grudock bust imo. 

Moehrig was pretty bad this year. He wasn’t drafted by this regime either, so I could easily see them moving on.

Remember that story went out recently that Ziegler & McDaniels were going to continue to make some surprising moves to shape the roster in their image. The two names given as potential cuts in that scenario were Waller and Renfrow. I’d say more realistic names are the likes of Moehrig.

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Graham out there blowing coverage and missing tackles? 

Moehrig played ok in Bradley's cover 3 system where he could sit back. Asked to step up in a bigger role, he looked overmatched. Another Grudock bust imo. 

Isn't it on the DC to find a way to use his players to the best of their ability? Especially a coach like Graham that preaches multiple looks and being versatile? 

Literally none of our returnees outside of Maxx got better, they all regressed. And all of the guys that we signed were huge misses for the most part outside of maybe RYS/Harmon. Bradley had dudes playing off the street making an impact because he put them in a position to succeed. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

"He flashed" should be the new Raider moto. If any of the "he flashed" guys every panned out for the Raiders, they would have had a dynasty the last 20 years. 

Like Mullen, Edwards, Abram, Leatherwood.... he's not as good as Raider fans want him and if they can move him for a day 3 pick, do it. Get a better FS.  

Hard for guys to pan out when you're switching schemes every offseason and cutting guys instead of investing into player development. 

Moehrig played 98% of the snaps as a rookie, second most for a safety in the league. He only allowed 14 receptions, a 92.5 passer rating, finished with the 16th best coverage grade amongst safeties (PFF), and was named to the All-Rookie team. It's not like it was a super small sample size, he was good for us as a rookie. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 4