The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

10 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Moehrig was pretty bad this year. He wasn’t drafted by this regime either, so I could easily see them moving on.

Remember that story went out recently that Ziegler & McDaniels were going to continue to make some surprising moves to shape the roster in their image. The two names given as potential cuts in that scenario were Waller and Renfrow. I’d say more realistic names are the likes of Moehrig.

Your name says it all.  Every coach and GM we hire decides they're going to "shape the roster in their image" after their first season (which is always a losing season of course).  We trade good players who are now in the wrong scheme to make this happen, then we try to find guys that fit the scheme (manage to fail at that spectacularly btw).  Then we move on to a new coach who does the same thing.

I wish we could just stop doing this altogether.  But this is what being a Raiders fan is all about.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Lamar won the heisman and was a fringe first round prospect but for some reason Richardson is flying up boards. 

The Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts effect.  Teams/Coaches want players that can scramble and extend plays (except McDaniels of course).

Just now, Jerry said:

The Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts effect.  Teams/Coaches want players that can scramble and extend plays (except McDaniels of course).

I think the Richardson is moreso a result of the Josh Allen effect. Teams and the media saw them take him from a meh college QB with elite tools to a superstar player and think it can be replicated but he's an outlier amongst outliers. 

4 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Your name says it all.  Every coach and GM we hire decides they're going to "shape the roster in their image" after their first season (which is always a losing season of course).  We trade good players who are now in the wrong scheme to make this happen, then we try to find guys that fit the scheme (manage to fail at that spectacularly btw).  Then we move on to a new coach who does the same thing.

I wish we could just stop doing this altogether.  But this is what being a Raiders fan is all about.

We'll get all of Graham's guys in the building and then fire him, lol.

Just now, NYRaider said:

I think the Richardson is moreso a result of the Josh Allen effect. Teams and the media saw them take him from a meh college QB with elite tools to a superstar player and think it can be replicated but he's an outlier amongst outliers. 

I recall the Bills training staff doing some kind of hand/eye coordination training with Josh Allen.  They stated that his jump in accuracy was the result of this training they did.  I couldn't find that but I did manage to find the below article.

Josh Allen Uses Technology to Go From Loose Cannon To Maybe A 3D MVP (sportsbusinessjournal.com)

There's a lot of ways for teams to improve the accuracy of their QBs.  The QBs just need to be willing to change the way they play/throw the ball (which is hard as heck for some QBs I'm sure).  

Who knows if Richardson can make it happen.  I personally wouldn't draft him.  Especially not to a team ran by McDaniels.

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We'll get all of Graham's guys in the building and then fire him, lol.

Then just keep hiring DC fall guys until we finally wise up to McDaniels being a huge failure.  Should take the standard 3 years.  Lol.

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

Then just keep hiring DC fall guys until we finally wise up to McDaniels being a huge failure.  Should take the standard 3 years.  Lol.

It's difficult for any DC to have success when we never have any continuity and refuse to invest into the trenches. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's difficult for any DC to have success when we never have any continuity and refuse to invest into the trenches. 

Paul Guenther.  He was never going to have success.  We could have given him the Eagles DL and a legion of boom caliber DB backfield and he would've benched them for 11 turd sandwiches.  

Hopefully our DC is competent.  Only time will tell.  So far it isn't looking great for him IMO though.  I believe he came from the Giants.  I believe their defense took a huge step forward this season after he left.  Does not look good for him at all right now.

Just now, Jerry said:

Paul Guenther.  He was never going to have success.  We could have given him the Eagles DL and a legion of boom caliber DB backfield and he would've benched them for 11 turd sandwiches.  

Hopefully our DC is competent.  Only time will tell.  So far it isn't looking great for him IMO though.  I believe he came from the Giants.  I believe their defense took a huge step forward this season after he left.  Does not look good for him at all right now.

We haven't had great coaches but we've also failed to properly build the unit with talent, particularly in the trenches. 

Graham's resume isn't great:

Miami - 2019 (30th in ypg, 32nd in ppg)

New York - 2020 (12th in ypg, 9th in ppg) | 2021 (21st in ypg, 23rd in ppg) 

Vegas - 2022 (28th in ypg, 26th in ppg) 

One good unit and three mediocre units and the good unit became mediocre the following season with the same core of players.

48 minutes ago, Jerry said:

No arguments here. Must have heard that stuff nearly 10 times in my 25ish years following this team. It’s so tiresome.

Edited by Nightmare
  • Like 1