The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Reggie, Mayock...

Really not good drafts lately. 

Zeigler is TBD for now as we were limited on picks last year. Hope at least that much changes from recent history lol

He had a full draft so you have to count Adams as a 1st, 2nd, and extra money.

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

If we trade Carr for #71 and trade #7 for Rodgers I am done.  Rodgers is better than Carr but when you factor age I do not know which one I want for the future.  If we trade Carr for #71 then trade #71 for Rodgers I will not be that angry.  I will not like it either.

Aaron Rodgers won the MVP in 2020 and 2021, lol. He's significantly better than Derek Carr. Over the last three years he has 111 TDs / 21 INT, DC has 74 TD / 37 INT. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Todd Downing also replaced Musgrave as our OC and the offense fell off of a cliff. And wasn't Carr dealing with a back injury for most of the season? 

Mark Davis wanted to get rid of JDR because he knew the fans were upset about the team deciding to move to Las Vegas but that Gruden would interject some excitement for the last couple years in Vegas and then be the face of the franchise as we moved to a new market.

They scored 71 points the first 2 games.  They scored 53 the next 4.

11 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

He had a full draft so you have to count Adams as a 1st, 2nd, and extra money.

I wouldn't call that how well he does with drafting but with managing draft picks. Splitting hairs and doesn't matter overall because it all adds up but as far as drafting Z has some time but if we lose our 1st this year and don't win a playoff game then he might not EVER get a chance to draft in the 1st round ever again because it shows a 'lack' of handling 'resources' which ranges from cap, attracting free agents, coaches who will let you be a GM, getting along with others from players to staff as that will effect you getting another opportunity. However I've seen many retreads that shouldn't have ever had another chance but it's who you know and who will vouch for you behind closed doors. 

Edit: Love run on sentences lol 

Edited by G
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Trading picks for a player doesn't show how someone evaluates talent though.

You still have to evaluate the player you are trading for and how they fit in the system.  You also weigh their talent versus who you expect to be there plus the extra cap you are spending.  We could have had 3-4 starters for what we got Adams for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

They scored 71 points the first 2 games.  They scored 53 the next 4.

I was at the Jets game, lol. I'm assuming bad playcalling and Carr being hurt played a huge role in that, not to mention Carr was also coming back off of a broken leg.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

You still have to evaluate the player you are trading for and how they fit in the system.  You also weigh their talent versus who you expect to be there plus the extra cap you are spending.  We could have had 3-4 starters for what we got Adams for.

I'm not going to give Ziegler credit for evaluating that Adams, the best WR in the NFL and a future HOFer, fit into the system. 

Now weighing the cap savings / draft picks traded vs Adams value is a different story. But it's difficult to acquire elite players in their prime.

Edited by NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I was at the Jets game, lol. I'm assuming bad playcalling and Carr being hurt played a huge role in that, not to mention Carr was also coming back off of a broken leg.

Carr threw for 3 TDs in the Jets game.  Weeks 1-2 they had 71 points and then 53 points in weeks 3-6.  Week 3 was the Commanders game on national television where Carr and JDR stood on the sidelines during the national anthem while everyone else in the league did something to show solidarity except 1 other player.  Not saying who was wrong but they told the rest of the team they did not care about anything they were feeling.  That combined with JDR's political affiliation caused serious issues in the locker room.

Just now, drfrey13 said:

Carr threw for 3 TDs in the Jets game.  Weeks 1-2 they had 71 points and then 53 points in weeks 3-6.  Week 3 was the Commanders game on national television where Carr and JDR stood on the sidelines during the national anthem while everyone else in the league did something to show solidarity except 1 other player.  Not saying who was wrong but they told the rest of the team they did not care about anything they were feeling.  That combined with JDR's political affiliation caused serious issues in the locker room.

Yes I remember that season and I'm sure that Carr/JDR did lose the locker room. But our issues were rooted in the fact that we had an aging roster that lacked depth due to poor drafting and a terrible OC. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm not going to give Ziegler credit for evaluating that Adams, the best WR in the NFL and a future HOFer, fit into the system. 

Now weighing the cap savings / draft picks traded vs Adams value is a different story. But it's difficult to acquire elite players in their prime.

Adams is on the back end of his prime and we should not have traded for him in my opinion.  I am just pointing out Z came in with a full draft and it is not similar to what happened to RM in his first year.

Just now, drfrey13 said:

Adams is on the back end of his prime and we should not have traded for him in my opinion.  I am just pointing out Z came in with a full draft and it is not similar to what happened to RM in his first year.

He still has 2-3 years left at an elite level, IMO. 

Reggie McKenzie inherited arguably the worst situation any GM has ever stepped into in NFL history after years of mismanagement by Al followed by Hue Davis putting the cherry on top trading for Palmer off the couch.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Yes I remember that season and I'm sure that Carr/JDR did lose the locker room. But our issues were rooted in the fact that we had an aging roster that lacked depth due to poor drafting and a terrible OC. 

We would have been a better team and Davis would not have felt like he needed to fire him.  Gruden might have still pushed him over the edge but if they had a few more wins, which they should have had based on talent, JDR stands a much greater chance of not getting fired.  9-10 wins with a playoff birth and he stays.    

23 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Reggie McKenzie inherited arguably the worst situation any GM has ever stepped into in NFL history after years of mismanagement by Al followed by Hue Davis putting the cherry on top trading for Palmer off the couch.

That was my point.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We would have been a better team and Davis would not have felt like he needed to fire him.  Gruden might have still pushed him over the edge but if they had a few more wins, which they should have had based on talent, JDR stands a much greater chance of not getting fired.  9-10 wins with a playoff birth and he stays.    

Probably, because the fanbase would've been excited about the final couple of years in Oakland. The fact that the team was bad and they were moving forced his hand to make a big hire. Gruden immediately traded off Mack/Cooper because of how little talent / depth we had, he knew we had to rebuild. That was largely because of how poorly Reggie McKenzie drafted. No one from our 2017 draft class is even currently in the NFL, lol. 

Edited by NYRaider