Jump to content

The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7


RaidersAreOne

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He was the MVP in 2021. He was throwing to 2 rookie WRs all season.

Didn't see any decline in velocity or in his movement this season. He was often frustrated and pressing with a bad group of skills around him.

If he and JMD can co-exist, he could thrive. JMD does a great job scheming receivers open. They just needed a QB who could hit them consistently and let plays develop. 

 

I think we all know he could thrive... I'm just saying it's probably best to temper expectations given the scheme change, his age, weird off the field antics, how he performed last year, and our offensive line (TBD on how we address the right side). 

I saw a regression in his mental focus last year, whether that was due to frustration or not. Yes he had inexperienced WRs but that doesn't mean his turnovers were all on them. Rodgers would probably be talking crap about Hollins not knowing where he's supposed to be lol. We say the same thing about Carr and cherry picking his INTs when they were bobbles or drops/wrong routes by a WR/TE. It's a two way street.

If we get him I'm hoping he and Adams can pick up right where they left off. Rodgers will definitely buy more time in the pocket than Carr did and let plays develop if our OL lets him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, RaisinBran said:

I think we all know he could thrive... I'm just saying it's probably best to temper expectations given the scheme change, his age, weird off the field antics, how he performed last year, and our offensive line (TBD on how we address the right side). 

I saw a regression in his mental focus last year, whether that was due to frustration or not. Yes he had inexperienced WRs but that doesn't mean his turnovers were all on them. Rodgers would probably be talking crap about Hollins not knowing where he's supposed to be lol. We say the same thing about Carr and cherry picking his INTs when they were bobbles or drops/wrong routes by a WR/TE. It's a two way street.

If we get him I'm hoping he and Adams can pick up right where they left off. Rodgers will definitely buy more time in the pocket than Carr did and let plays develop if our OL lets him.

Lamar has regressed for two straight years yet you think he's possibly better than Rodgers, lol. 

You also have to acknowledge that Rodgers was dealing with a thumb injury for almost the entire season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Lamar has regressed for two straight years yet you think he's possibly better than Rodgers, lol. 

You also have to acknowledge that Rodgers was dealing with a thumb injury for almost the entire season.

Lol glad you could nitpick to make Rodgers top 5. He's still not top 4 like you were suggesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RaisinBran said:

Lol glad you could nitpick to make Rodgers top 5. He's still not top 4 like you were suggesting.

The only 3 QB's that I'm definitely taking over Rodgers at this point are Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow. Rodgers won MVP in 2020/2021 and has like 111 TD's over the last three seasons, he's elite. Certainly better than guys like Hurts and Herbert.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The only 3 QB's that I'm definitely taking over Rodgers at this point are Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow. Rodgers won MVP in 2020/2021 and has like 111 TD's over the last three seasons, he's elite. Certainly better than guys like Hurts and Herbert.

If we’re talking a 2 year window, which is what I think we’d get out of Rodgers, he’d be my 3rd QB after Burrow and Mahomes.  Most would disagree but I’d take his experience over Allen’s future.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

If we’re talking a 2 year window, which is what I think we’d get out of Rodgers, he’d be my 3rd QB after Burrow and Mahomes.  Most would disagree but I’d take his experience over Allen’s future.

People are selling Rodgers short on here, was he great last season? No. But he still finished 11th in passing yards/7th in passing TD in what was a down year for offensive production across the NFL. While playing with probably the youngest/least talented WR group he has ever had and he was also dealing with a thumb injury. 

Look back at the 2020/2021 seasons with Adams, he threw for 8,400 yards (69% comp), 85 TD, and only had 9 INT. Between 2018-2021 he threw for 16,858 yards, 136 TDs, and only had 15 interceptions. Derek Carr had 14 interceptions in 15 games last season, lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

If we’re talking a 2 year window, which is what I think we’d get out of Rodgers, he’d be my 3rd QB after Burrow and Mahomes.  Most would disagree but I’d take his experience over Allen’s future.

I like Rogers and still think he has some juice left but if i was him I would steer clear of this organization.  

Adams bailed on Rogers for Carr, so if anyone thinks that Rogers will come to play with Adams or is loyal to Adams and not factor in the overall makeup of this organization is being naïve.  We have so many question marks, question marks that include an inept front office which includes questionable coaching and major concerns with both the Oline and D.  These are major questions that cant be ignored and overlooked by any incoming player who is not just chasing cash which Rogers most certainly is not.  

If I was Rogers I would go to a team that is more stable and closer to contention for a SB.  I see a lot of talk on here regarding him wanting to come here to play with Adams again but I don't see anyone mentioning our D situation which is a major factor for any player wanting to win, especially a 40 year old QB on the downside of his career wanting to win another SB.  We are without question a team that is currently in the bottom 3 in terms of SB contention next season.  Does Rogers alone turn this squad in SB contender?  No chance, however I could see Rogers make a deep playoff run on a team like the Jets.  He is no fool, he understands the game and how difficult it is to win games with a bad D and how a bad D makes for unfavorable game scripts and adds tremendous pressure and importance to every offensive possession.      

This whole situation is offseason chatter and desperation by fans grasping at straws trying to get excited for an upcoming season that will most likely garner 4ish wins.  At this point it's Rogers or bust but I assure everyone Rogers is no fool, he knows what this organization is all about and will most certainly steer clear.  

Another thing that will be fascinating to watch is the Adams situation, if we don't land Rogers, which at this point is the most likely scenario.  I assure you that if we don't get Rogers and Adams is looking at a season with a stopgap bum he will not be pleased knowing this will be a team with a bum QB and no D leading to a top 5 pick in next years draft.  His stats will most certainly suffer and will know this is a bad team, I would venture to think that he would not want to play in that type of situation. 

I see the desperation by fans regarding Rogers, as Rogers presents a glimmer of hope for a playoff birth, but without him we might as well start looking at top 3 picks in the 2024 draft as it will be another long and ugly season.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I like Rogers and still think he has some juice left but if i was him I would steer clear of this organization.  

Adams bailed on Rogers for Carr, so if anyone thinks that Rogers will come to play with Adams or is loyal to Adams and not factor in the overall makeup of this organization is being naïve.  We have so many question marks, question marks that include an inept front office which includes questionable coaching and major concerns with both the Oline and D.  These are major questions that cant be ignored and overlooked by any incoming player who is not just chasing cash which Rogers most certainly is not.  

If I was Rogers I would go to a team that is more stable and closer to contention for a SB.  I see a lot of talk on here regarding him wanting to come here to play with Adams again but I don't see anyone mentioning our D situation which is a major factor for any player wanting to win, especially a 40 year old QB on the downside of his career wanting to win another SB.  We are without question a team that is currently in the bottom 3 in terms of SB contention next season.  Does Rogers alone turn this squad in SB contender?  No chance, however I could see Rogers make a deep playoff run on a team like the Jets.  He is no fool, he understands the game and how difficult it is to win games with a bad D and how a bad D makes for unfavorable game scripts and adds tremendous pressure and importance to every offensive possession.      

This whole situation is offseason chatter and desperation by fans grasping at straws trying to get excited for an upcoming season that will most likely garner 4ish wins.  At this point it's Rogers or bust but I assure everyone Rogers is no fool, he knows what this organization is all about and will most certainly steer clear.  

Another thing that will be fascinating to watch is the Adams situation, if we don't land Rogers, which at this point is the most likely scenario.  I assure you that if we don't get Rogers and Adams is looking at a season with a stopgap bum he will not be pleased knowing this will be a team with a bum QB and no D leading to a top 5 pick in next years draft.  His stats will most certainly suffer and will know this is a bad team, I would venture to think that he would not want to play in that type of situation. 

I see the desperation by fans regarding Rogers, as Rogers presents a glimmer of hope for a playoff birth, but without him we might as well start looking at top 3 picks in the 2024 draft as it will be another long and ugly season.  

This 100%. 

It's the same nonsense that had people drooling for Brady. 

"Oh, if we get [Hall of Fame bound QB] all is saved!"

If/when Rodgers opts for another option, I guess they'll just get hyped for the next man down the list. Probably Matt Ryan with the excuse that Indy had horrible coaching and unproven weapons last year, but with Adams and the offensive"genius" he would assuredly rebound. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I like Rogers and still think he has some juice left but if i was him I would steer clear of this organization.  

Adams bailed on Rogers for Carr, so if anyone thinks that Rogers will come to play with Adams or is loyal to Adams and not factor in the overall makeup of this organization is being naïve.  We have so many question marks, question marks that include an inept front office which includes questionable coaching and major concerns with both the Oline and D.  These are major questions that cant be ignored and overlooked by any incoming player who is not just chasing cash which Rogers most certainly is not.  

If I was Rogers I would go to a team that is more stable and closer to contention for a SB.  I see a lot of talk on here regarding him wanting to come here to play with Adams again but I don't see anyone mentioning our D situation which is a major factor for any player wanting to win, especially a 40 year old QB on the downside of his career wanting to win another SB.  We are without question a team that is currently in the bottom 3 in terms of SB contention next season.  Does Rogers alone turn this squad in SB contender?  No chance, however I could see Rogers make a deep playoff run on a team like the Jets.  He is no fool, he understands the game and how difficult it is to win games with a bad D and how a bad D makes for unfavorable game scripts and adds tremendous pressure and importance to every offensive possession.      

This whole situation is offseason chatter and desperation by fans grasping at straws trying to get excited for an upcoming season that will most likely garner 4ish wins.  At this point it's Rogers or bust but I assure everyone Rogers is no fool, he knows what this organization is all about and will most certainly steer clear.  

Another thing that will be fascinating to watch is the Adams situation, if we don't land Rogers, which at this point is the most likely scenario.  I assure you that if we don't get Rogers and Adams is looking at a season with a stopgap bum he will not be pleased knowing this will be a team with a bum QB and no D leading to a top 5 pick in next years draft.  His stats will most certainly suffer and will know this is a bad team, I would venture to think that he would not want to play in that type of situation. 

I see the desperation by fans regarding Rogers, as Rogers presents a glimmer of hope for a playoff birth, but without him we might as well start looking at top 3 picks in the 2024 draft as it will be another long and ugly season.  

Despite all the coaching, Oline, defensive issues, the Raiders lost 9 games by one score in 2022 with a mid Derek Carr, holes in the roster and a lot of injuries. 

You add a 4 time MVP and retool the defense and you don't think this team can compete? 

 

 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Despite all the coaching, Oline, defensive issues, the Raiders lost 9 games by one score in 2022 with a mid Derek Carr, holes in the roster and a lot of injuries. 

You add a 4 time MVP and retool the defense and you don't think this team can compete? 

 

 

How many years have we said if the Raiders just get a defense?? 20?? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Despite all the coaching, Oline, defensive issues, the Raiders lost 9 games by one score in 2022 with a mid Derek Carr, holes in the roster and a lot of injuries. 

You add a 4 time MVP and retool the defense and you don't think this team can compete? 

 

 

Compete? Sure but in the playoffs do you really trust this defense to hold off teams like the Bills, Bengals or Chiefs offenses?

I know you believe in retooling the defense but you know that every position on defense needs an upgrade outside of Crosby. Will they be able to put enough talent on the roster to put out a strong defense?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Chali21 said:

Compete? Sure but in the playoffs do you really trust this defense to hold off teams like the Bills, Bengals or Chiefs offenses?

I know you believe in retooling the defense but you know that every position on defense needs an upgrade outside of Crosby. Will they be able to put enough talent on the roster to put out a strong defense?

Giants did. 

They just had to get rid of a certain DC before they really came into form. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, RaisinBran said:

If we get him I'm hoping he and Adams can pick up right where they left off. Rodgers will definitely buy more time in the pocket than Carr did and let plays develop if our OL lets him.

Def agree Rodgers will buy more time, that is not debatable, but I do wonder if itll lead to our Oline being exposed. 
Carrs quick release, quick to check down I do believe makes our oline look a lot better at times. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Despite all the coaching, Oline, defensive issues, the Raiders lost 9 games by one score in 2022 with a mid Derek Carr, holes in the roster and a lot of injuries. 

You add a 4 time MVP and retool the defense and you don't think this team can compete? 

 

 

said in another thread, but we lost 9  one score games, where we failed to score at the end. so other team ran clock out. 
With Rodgers, I think we score, only to have other team score as clock expired. 

I know people wanna say DC made our D look bad, but us not scoring at end of games literally helped our D out. 
When they did score, our D just gave up more points, expect for I believe the 2nd Charger game,, where we actually held them!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

Compete? Sure but in the playoffs do you really trust this defense to hold off teams like the Bills, Bengals or Chiefs offenses?

I know you believe in retooling the defense but you know that every position on defense needs an upgrade outside of Crosby. Will they be able to put enough talent on the roster to put out a strong defense?

Those 3 offenses are elite and the best defenses struggle with them. Best case, you have a QB who can go toe to toe with them and a serviceable defense. I think with the right moves, they have the resources to build a serviceable defense next year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...