The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Giants did. 

They just had to get rid of a certain DC before they really came into form. 

Only, they really didn't. They just had a better offense to keep them off the field. 

2021: 

354.8 ypg (21) / 129 rush ypg (25) / 4.5 rush ypa (23) / 225.8 pass ypg (15) /  34 sacks (24) / 3rd down% 39.8 (16) / 25.4 (ppg)

2022:

358.2 ypg (25) / 144.2 rush ypg (27) / 5.2 rush ypa (30) / 214 pass ypg (14) /  41 sacks (13) / 3rd down% 35.1 (5) / 21.8 (ppg)

Defenses were statistically similar. Better against the run with Graham who emphasizes run stopping. More sacks with Martindale who is blitz heavy.

The biggest difference aside from injuries in 2021,  was the offense under Daboll. The defense went from 4th to 21st in average time on field this past season. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Despite all the coaching, Oline, defensive issues, the Raiders lost 9 games by one score in 2022 with a mid Derek Carr, holes in the roster and a lot of injuries. 

You add a 4 time MVP and retool the defense and you don't think this team can compete? 

Hope and dreams.  Just adding a 40 year old Rogers does not make this team a contender.  We need 4 new starters along the Oline, a soon to be 31 YO WR and TE and a D that needs a complete overhaul outside of Maxx. 

You make it appear as if "Retooling the D" is an easy thing to do, however you lack context.  The elephant in the room is that we have one of the leagues worst D's in terms of talent.  We need and influx of talent at every level across the board and that is nearly impossible to fix in one offseason.

Fans do not realize how complex and complicated it is to build a winning team and sadly slapping lipstick on a pig is not the answer to contention.  The answer is getting good value through FA acquisitions and drafting well, two things we have been horrendous at for over 20 years.  

Here is the dilemma, rebuilding is what we should do, trading our old and aging talent for draft capital, signing a cheap, stopgap bum and winning 4 games next season, drafting a stud  Qb and nailing our remaining picks is the way out of the cellar.  We however have an idiot owner who doesn't believe in rebuilding, he would prefer to live in fantasy land and think this team is a 4o year old QB away from a deep playoff run which is delusional and laughable.  Davis wants to win now which is the incorrect approach, we should rebuild going through one or two terrible seasons to replenish this roster with young talent.  

Fans say look at team X or Y that went from the bottom to a vastly improved team but once again these are statements that lack context.  Lets examine the Jets, who would have been a playoff team if they had even remotely decent QB play.  Lets look at their roster and how they made the leap.  They have drafted well over the last few years with the additions of players like Sauce, WIlson, Hall, Becton, Vera-Tucker, Moore and Williams.  That is a solid core of young talent at key positions. They have also received good value when signing free agents with the likes of Mosley, Lawson, Rankins and Reed.  

When examining the Jets roster, anyone who understands football can see that this team is close and with above average QB play can be a legit playoff team.  They have talent on all levels and are well coached, this would be an ideal landing spot for a player like Rogers who wants to compete and win now.  Rogers is no fool and doesn't have Raider blinders on like fans on here do.  Anyone looking at our situation with an unbiased POV knows what I am saying is fact and I can assure you that agents and players around the NFL feel the same way I do.   

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Only, they really didn't. They just had a better offense to keep them off the field. 

2021: 

354.8 ypg (21) / 129 rush ypg (25) / 4.5 rush ypa (23) / 225.8 pass ypg (15) /  34 sacks (24) / 3rd down% 39.8 (16) / 25.4 (ppg)

2022:

358.2 ypg (25) / 144.2 rush ypg (27) / 5.2 rush ypa (30) / 214 pass ypg (14) /  41 sacks (13) / 3rd down% 35.1 (5) / 21.8 (ppg)

Defenses were statistically similar. Better against the run with Graham who emphasizes run stopping. More sacks with Martindale who is blitz heavy.

The biggest difference aside from injuries in 2021,  was the offense under Daboll. The defense went from 4th to 21st in average time on field this past season. 

This is the definition of objectivity and facts over feelings. Some posters put forward subjective narratives and scream it so loud that it begins to be accepted as fact. Thank you for setting the record straight. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Def agree Rodgers will buy more time, that is not debatable, but I do wonder if itll lead to our Oline being exposed. 
Carrs quick release, quick to check down I do believe makes our oline look a lot better at times. 

Rodgers is injury prone. He needs a good Online at his age.

• Like 1

Nobody knows football better than @Frankie2Gunz so it's not really worth the time is it?

And nobody said it would be easy, just that it is possible. While you can't fix every hole in one offseason, improving the red zone defense and getting a QB who can play would do wonders. 

They lost 9 games by 1 score and blew what 5 second half leads of double digits? Pretty easy to see how you can tweak that and be competitive. 

You're always brow beating optimistic fans while spitting hyperbole about how terrible they that is greatly exaggerated. Everything is not black and white. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

This is the definition of objectivity and facts over feelings. Some posters put forward subjective narratives and scream it so loud that it begins to be accepted as fact. Thank you for setting the record straight. 

Yet puts our QB play on the same level as our D . . .
when we were top 10 O in Time of possession. . . which is what he says should make a D look better (ala giants), but . . not our D?

to be top 10 O in time of possession, with a D that struggles to get off the field, or make turnovers is even more impressive too. 

12 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Same amount as we've been saying if the Raiders just had a QB. 

I'm not saying a good QB wouldn't help but this defense is a mess and the play 2 of the best offensive in NFL twice a year.  You need more talent across the D-line. Even Maxx needs to get more sacks. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

2021: 

2022:

Ah so what you're saying is Graham sucks regardless? Glad you're coming around. Because with and without him, the numbers are pretty much cheeks. 

11 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Rodgers is injury prone. He needs a good Online at his age.

He's always needed a good OL either way, imo. 

Rodgers has long been a play extender. No doubt he can get the ball out quick, but watching him over the years, if people yap about Carr holding the ball too long.....they clearly don't watch many Packers games. When Green Bay's OL has struggled, Rodgers doesn't look nearly as good- still good, but not his usual self. And that sort of thing becomes even more apparent as guys get older. 

18 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Ah so what you're saying is Graham sucks regardless? Glad you're coming around. Because with and without him, the numbers are pretty much cheeks. 

No, you're trying to say the Giants improved because Graham sucks. I just proved that there is no validity in that statement.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

No, you're trying to say the Giants improved because Graham sucks. I just proved that there is no validity in that statement.

Looks to me like they improved where we hurt the most last year- 3rd down and sack rate. 

I'm sure, as historical trends will show, the Giants will continue to improve without him. Just like Miami did, Green Bay did, and New England did before. 

But keep defending him. I'm sure he appreciates your undying support. 

Edited by ronjon1990

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Despite all the coaching, Oline, defensive issues, the Raiders lost 9 games by one score in 2022 with a mid Derek Carr, holes in the roster and a lot of injuries. 

You add a 4 time MVP and retool the defense and you don't think this team can compete? 

Been waiting on a defense since 2002

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

If we’re talking a 2 year window, which is what I think we’d get out of Rodgers, he’d be my 3rd QB after Burrow and Mahomes.  Most would disagree but I’d take his experience over Allen’s future.

I can see that, for all the media love, Allen still makes too many mistakes for me and overplays in my opinion to be right at the top, though if he can curb some of those he’ll be fantastic. Mahomes used to be like that but has now matured. Burrow, I’m not sure I’m taking him over Rodgers on a one year only……….

• Like 1