The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

16 hours ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Isaiah Foskey in Round 2? Best defensive player on a really good ND defense last year, could be a sooner-rather-than-later replacement for Chandler Jones.

I like Foskey a lot but I feel there’s bigger needs.  Im a ND fan and think very highly of Foskey though.  I think he’ll be a nice 2nd round pick for someone though.
Honestly, I really really want to see Malcolm Koonce get snaps.

I don’t understand how Stidham is considered by so many to be worth 5-7.5M sometimes even higher.

Geno Smith was playing on a 1yr, 3.5M deal.  I can’t imagine Stidham would get more than that.  It’s not like Stidham is even a top 10 backup QB.  If anything Stidham should consider himself incredibly lucky if we start him in ‘23 allows him to play his way into a bigger deal if he does well.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

You’re talking in hindsight. Young has big flaws: size& durability. I’m not trading the farm for a risky prospect. Set the franchise back about 5 years. Give me a vet and Jake Haener in the 3rd/4th if you want a small QB. 

There is no hindsight about it. Heck the whole lead up to that draft people were debating if it would be Baker or Darnold #1 overall. 

13 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I don’t understand how Stidham is considered by so many to be worth 5-7.5M sometimes even higher.

Geno Smith was playing on a 1yr, 3.5M deal.  I can’t imagine Stidham would get more than that.  It’s not like Stidham is even a top 10 backup QB.  If anything Stidham should consider himself incredibly lucky if we start him in ‘23 allows him to play his way into a bigger deal if he does well.

Geno also had under 200 attempts in his last 6 years before signing that contract.  I would want to give Stidham as little as possible but it is not like Geno was seen as a starting QB when he signed that contract.

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Geno also had under 200 attempts in his last 6 years before signing that contract.  I would want to give Stidham as little as possible but it is not like Geno was seen as a starting QB when he signed that contract.

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2022/04/14/report-geno-smith-signs-one-year-7-million-contract-seahawks

March 8th 2022 Russell Wilson was traded.  April 14th 2022 Geno Smith was re-signed to a deal to compete for the starting spot vs Drew Locke, who was obtained via the Wilson trade.  They’re we’re rumors/statements that Smith has reported to have been the favorite by far to be the starter by those inside the organization. Geno Smith had started 3 games the year before and apparently played very very well in practice to the point that it’s been said (idk if it’s true) that the team felt comfortable moving on from Wilson and going with him.

The reality is there’s only 1 team that would ever consider Stidham to even get a shot at being a starter.  He’s a 40-48 ranked QB in the league.  He’s barely in the top half the league of QB2’s.  He’s in the bottom of the Heinieke, Mike White, etc range. 

I have a feeling and a real fear that our FO overpays either Stidham or Jimmy G drastically.  If your signing a 1yr stop gap QB to essentially tank next year you don’t over pay them.   

Half this board criticized Carr got saying he’s not good enough to be a playoff winning QB.  It was said he wasn’t in the tier of QBs that are capable of that.

well I hate to break it to everyone but you can find 10+ QB of Stidham’s tier, a 1-6 depending on the rest of the team, in FA for 3.5M a year or less.  With that many QBs WE ARE DOING Stidham/ other QB the FAVOR by giving them the starting QB gig opportunity.  Is anyone else offering Stidham a starting opportunity… absolutely not!

This is the same type of mentality that paid Carl Nassib, a backup who got into a starting role For 50% of the games his 3rd and 4th year due to necessity.  You don’t pay guys like that big deals.  Nassib never was going to jump up to a 9+ sack Player.  He was lucky to get 6.  You can find 4-6 sack level backups for 3-5M in FA every year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FloydFan said:

There is no hindsight about it. Heck the whole lead up to that draft people were debating if it would be Baker or Darnold #1 overall. 

Yeah if I remember correctly people were actually surprised that the Browns took Baker.  

I think someone is going to take a risk on Young long before the Raiders even get a chance at him so it’s all moo. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2022/04/14/report-geno-smith-signs-one-year-7-million-contract-seahawks

March 8th 2022 Russell Wilson was traded.  April 14th 2022 Geno Smith was re-signed to a deal to compete for the starting spot vs Drew Locke, who was obtained via the Wilson trade.  They’re we’re rumors/statements that Smith has reported to have been the favorite by far to be the starter by those inside the organization. Geno Smith had started 3 games the year before and apparently played very very well in practice to the point that it’s been said (idk if it’s true) that the team felt comfortable moving on from Wilson and going with him.

The reality is there’s only 1 team that would ever consider Stidham to even get a shot at being a starter.  He’s a 40-48 ranked QB in the league.  He’s barely in the top half the league of QB2’s.  He’s in the bottom of the Heinieke, Mike White, etc range. 

I have a feeling and a real fear that our FO overpays either Stidham or Jimmy G drastically.  If your signing a 1yr stop gap QB to essentially tank next year you don’t over pay them.   

Half this board criticized Carr got saying he’s not good enough to be a playoff winning QB.  It was said he wasn’t in the tier of QBs that are capable of that.

well I hate to break it to everyone but you can find 10+ QB of Stidham’s tier, a 1-6 depending on the rest of the team, in FA for 3.5M a year or less.  With that many QBs WE ARE DOING Stidham/ other QB the FAVOR by giving them the starting QB gig opportunity.  Is anyone else offering Stidham a starting opportunity… absolutely not!

This is the same type of mentality that paid Carl Nassib, a backup who got into a starting role For 50% of the games his 3rd and 4th year due to necessity.  You don’t pay guys like that big deals.  Nassib never was going to jump up to a 9+ sack Player.  He was lucky to get 6.  You can find 4-6 sack level backups for 3-5M in FA every year.

I am not saying Stidham is starting quality QB or that he deserves a big payday.  All I am saying is that Geno was not deserving of it either at the time.  He was a good back up who cold start a game or two if your starter got hurt.  I would let Stidham have the chance to start but I would not want to pass up the opportunity to get a starter because of him.  I would rather role with him than spend a ton to trade up in the draft or trade for Rodgers.  Not because he is better but I believe it would be better for the team long term.  The Nassib deal was stupid but also made by a different decision maker.  We did give Jones a stupid contract so there is that piece of evidence.  

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I don't think we're going to overpay or make a long term commitment to any QB this offseason outside of Rodgers or a rookie at #7. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

It's not really a huge need but I'd love to take a look at Tyler Scott, WR out of Cincinnati in the 3rd/4th round. Dude has legit 4.2 speed and would be a nice compliment to the weapons that we already have on the roster.

I'd rather target Cedric Tilman out of Tennessee tbh.

5 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

Vertical X-Receiver. Good size, but I don't think he Runs the fastest 40 yd Dash.

"Homegrown talent" that should replace Mack Hollins

This WR class hasn't gotten a ton of love but there are some guys I like in the late 1st/early 2nd. Probably too rich for us but I'd love Flowers or Boutte.