The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

Just now, raidr4life said:

Yup and plenty of QB scout videos saying that's over blown since. Kurt Warner and others tons of video break downs to watch.

I read the Vikings are potentially interested in Hooker in the first round. I wouldn't touch him until the 3-4th round though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

He’s had his motor questioned for 2 years.

Oof.... this is an absolute hot take with no validation. 

The opposite has been said since he stepped on the field at Georgia. His motor is always running. Always see him chasing the ball to the far sideline and upfield as a backside defender. Guy has no quit in pursuit. 

This sounds like some lazy take from the Ohio St. game when he was rebounding from injury and looked gassed, which he took accountability for. 

If you want to question him off field, sure. But on field, he is an absolute beast and he's not hit the peak of what he can be.

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Oof.... this is an absolute hot take with no validation. 

The opposite has been said since he stepped on the field at Georgia. His motor is always running. Always see him chasing the ball to the far sideline and upfield as a backside defender. Guy has no quit in pursuit. 

This sounds like some lazy take from the Ohio St. game when he was rebounding from injury and looked gassed, which he took accountability for. 

If you want to question him off field, sure. But on field, he is an absolute beast and he's not hit the peak of what he can be.

The Carter hate has gotten out of hand. 

4 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

That's your loss.

I'll take an L too I guess. 25, likely to redshirt his first year. Offense that made Drew Lock a household name in the draft.

He'll be a good QB, Teddy Bridgewater-esque in his prime is my guess. I'm not taking that until round 4 at the earliest. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'll take an L too I guess. 25, likely to redshirt his first year. Offense that made Drew Lock a household name in the draft.

He'll be a good QB, Teddy Bridgewater-esque in his prime is my guess. I'm not taking that until round 4 at the earliest. 

More like Randal Cunningham.

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I think it's pretty telling he was putting up gaudy numbers in the SEC and no one seemed to really care or hype him up as a prospect. While guys like Richardson / Levis struggled but both cemented themselves as FRPs. 

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's why you have to do your homework during the pre-draft process. You can literally say the same thing about any other prospect in the class, they haven't had issues (that we know of). 

Carter is clearly a special talent, probably the best player in the draft. Unless there are just extremely bad red flags, he's worth the risk at #7. How often does the best player in the class at a position of need fall into your lap that far down the board? Warren Sapp also fell on draft night cause of concerns, Randy Moss too, betting on elite talent often times works out.

Yeh, but I think you’re missing the point somewhat. If a player has a couple incidents then you really have to wonder what is hidden beneath the surface. Do you have those same concerns regarding Bryce Young? Probably not as he’s not given reason to think there’s skeletons in the closet. With Carter there’s likely other stuff that we don’t know about that ‘wasn’t a big deal’ but likely was an indicator to future behaviour. 

Now, he is the biggest talent at our desperate need and betting on elite talent sometimes works out. It’s a risk that you have to justify. I’m really on the fence but edging towards taking that chance. I’d be very nervous though 😁

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Completely agree. And I think he goes 5 (Seattle) or 6 (Detroit) any way so it will be moot.

I think he'll ultimately land in Detroit as well, him and Hutchinson are going to be a great duo for the next decade if he does.

2 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, but I think you’re missing the point somewhat. If a player has a couple incidents then you really have to wonder what is hidden beneath the surface. Do you have those same concerns regarding Bryce Young? Probably not as he’s not given reason to think there’s skeletons in the closet. With Carter there’s likely other stuff that we don’t know about that ‘wasn’t a big deal’ but likely was an indicator to future behaviour. 

Now, he is the biggest talent at our desperate need and betting on elite talent sometimes works out. It’s a risk that you have to justify. I’m really on the fence but edging towards taking that chance. I’d be very nervous though 😁

What did Carter really do that was all that bad though?

6 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Lmao he destroys Cunningham athletically.

Cunningham "reportedly" ran a 4.29 at one point and rushed for 950 yards in an NFL season, lol. Hooker ran a 4.96 as a HS senior but I'm sure he "destroys" Cunningham athletically.