The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Cunningham "reportedly" ran a 4.29 at one point and rushed for 950 yards in an NFL season, lol. Hooker ran a 4.96 as a HS senior but I'm sure he "destroys" Cunningham athletically. 

Lmao you making stuff up. 

Just now, raidr4life said:

Lmao you making stuff up. 

https://www.stack.com/a/michael-vick-reveals-who-wouldve-won-a-race-between-him-and-randall-cunningham/

Cunningham told Sports Illustrated that he once ran a 4.29 40-Yard Dash on a rubber track in high school. To anyone who watched him play, that number doesn’t sound far-fetched.

Vick actually weighed in on the question by commenting from his official Instagram account:  “Haha this is a good one. RC had great inline speed. I’ll say me in the 40 but Randall in the 100!” Vick wrote.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/79847-randall-cunningham-the-best-qb-that-shouldve-ever-lived

Randall ran a legitimate 4.4 40-time, and he had a cannon of an arm with deft touch as well.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/207980/hendon-hooker

40: 4.96

34 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Oof.... this is an absolute hot take with no validation. 

The opposite has been said since he stepped on the field at Georgia. His motor is always running. Always see him chasing the ball to the far sideline and upfield as a backside defender. Guy has no quit in pursuit. 

This sounds like some lazy take from the Ohio St. game when he was rebounding from injury and looked gassed, which he took accountability for. 

If you want to question him off field, sure. But on field, he is an absolute beast and he's not hit the peak of what he can be.

@NYRaiderI think he might be off the board. Otherwise if he checks out carter on a rookie deal would be amazing.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Randal said he ran a 4.29 no he ran a 4.4 Hooker is one of the most proficient runners in this class 4.9 is made up and its obvious in games when he's running by people.

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

If the character stuff is real, it would be crippling. Would love an elite DT it would change the team.

The best player in the draft doesn't fall into your lap at #7 because he's a risk free prospect. I think it's overblown and if anything the fact that it happened now will probably play to his benefit in the long term.

• Like 1

Just now, raidr4life said:

Randal said he ran a 4.29 no he ran a 4.4 Hooker is one of the most proficient runners in this class 4.9 is made up and its obvious in games when he's running by people.

The only confirmed time we have for Hooker is a 4.96 from ESPN. Regardless though Hooker certainly doesn't "destroy" Cunningham athletically. Unless you think Hooker is in the same tier of athlete as Mike Vick coming out, in which case he should be the #1 pick and is essentially a mix of Stroud with Richardson's athletic ability.

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What did Carter really do that was all that bad though?

You don’t think the driving racing thing is bad given what happened to Ruggs? Also have to question the attitude and conditioning at his Pro Day.

In all likelihood Ruggs probably started off just like that and his racing was ‘no big deal’ until he got drunk and killed someone and got himself locked up. 

3 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

You don’t think the driving racing thing is bad given what happened to Ruggs? Also have to question the attitude and conditioning at his Pro Day.

In all likelihood Ruggs probably started off just like that and his racing was ‘no big deal’ until he got drunk and killed someone and got himself locked up. 

You don't think that a 21 year old kid that just lost one of his best friends, is basically being blamed for his death, and has been dealing with a nightmare situation deserves some slack? 

Do you think Ruggs would've done what he did if he had already experienced a situation like what Carter is currently going through?

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

May have run a 4.9 on one good leg?

Hooker apparently destroys Cunningham athletically, the dude that everyone debates about being the most athletic QB in NFL history alongside Mike Vick, put up monster stats in the SEC, I just don't see why he's not a lock to go #1.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

You don't think that a 21 year old kid that just lost one of his best friends, is basically being blamed for his death, and has been dealing with a nightmare situation deserves some slack? 

Do you think Ruggs would've done what he did if he had already experienced a situation like what Carter is currently going through?

Unequivocally, no. Consequences aren't cherry picked like that. His slack is that he wasn't formally charged with anything and thrown in jail, thus allowing him to go on and still make millions of dollars that he'll probably not put towards helping out the families destroyed in part by his actions. 

As for Ruggs, who knows. His reactions on the scene did him zero favors as far as empathy goes in my book though. He showed himself to be about as selfish as it gets until he's the one affected. I think Henry Ruggs would do what he did- throw a tantrum on the side of the road in a giant pity party for himself. 

Never underestimate the ability of people who have the world literally given to them to pretty much not give a **** unless it hurts them individually. Legally, Carter is in the clear as far as I'm aware. Morally, I think he's pretty damn bankrupt. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You're going soft in your old age!

If I'm potentially throwing tens of millions of dollars at him then I'm not cutting him a lot of slack at all after what just happened and the potential ramifications............... and it's hard to say with Ruggs, sometimes people get a wake-up call and ignore it. Drug users overdose, survive then overdose again and die. Racers crash and survive then race again and get killed or kill others sadly.

I do think he deserves a little slack, we do all make mistakes. However, the trouble is it's likely a pattern of behaviour, that is why I think we both agree we have to absolutely do our homework if we're thinking of taking him. Neither of us can really know, so for us we'd have to do something that we haven't done for two decades as a front office, the odds don't look great but we've got new people in so there is a glimmer of hope..........