The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

I don’t like Wilson in top 10. He also seems like a 3-4 end. Slow off the snap just seems like there’s a risk to bust. Everyone in the NFL is good and big. He won’t be about to win purely on size. 

for me it’s either: 

Anthony Richardson, Jalen Carter, Christian Gonzalez

if not one of those 3trade down to the late teens: Joey Porter Jr, Myles Murphy, Nolan Smith, Kancey

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What makes Tyree so intriguing for you? I have asked a few times here but gotten very little back. He's big, strong and long. But I don't see much else.

You think he can become an elite DL?

Length and strength plus I think you can move him all around the LOS. I think he can do a lot of his damage early on inside on passing downs while he learns and builds his passing rushing tools. Far from a finished product but it’s a big surface of clay that you get to work with. His wingspan is massive and I think he has the perfect person on the team(Chandler Jones) to really tech him and polish everything 

Hes not bendy and I think that turns people off with him but I think he offers some traits that are hard to teach as well. 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Length and strength plus I think you can move him all around the LOS. I think he can do a lot of his damage early on inside on passing downs while he learns and builds his passing rushing tools. Far from a finished product but it’s a big surface of clay that you get to work with. His wingspan is massive and I think he has the perfect person on the team(Chandler Jones) to really tech him and polish everything 

Hes not bendy and I think that turns people off with him but I think he offers some traits that are hard to teach as well. 

It doesn't matter that he's not bendy given that he'll be an inside player and he's an A+ athlete for an IDL/5-tech. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think once he moves inside to 5 tech, he has really good length/quickness/power as an interior DL. I see him as an early career Buckner personally. He is a projection though and not a pure edge player.

If you want a normal edge player who has speed to the corner that's not Wilson. He's an inside outside player with rare physical gifts.

That being said, I don't think he's nearly as slam dunk as Carter/Anderson. He is a tier below. I would be fine with him at 7, but there is better value as @NYRaidersaid.

What game should I watch that shows him showing off top 20 talent?

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

And that's absolutely fine to think that. It's a negative for sure and id like him to be bigger and longer. What I reply to is when someone says he's 'tiny', I mean come on, that's a ridiculous statement to make so overflowing with hyperbole. If NYRaider had just said 'well, he's a little small for my liking but his tape is pretty good' or something along those lines then fair enough, no problem whatsoever.

I like Gonzalez, Withersoon and Porter all about the same, give or take and if others like the others more that's totally understandable to me. I also like Ringo, Forbes and a few others too. It's a great CB class for sure, better than that Arnette class that we had such a great debate over!

I like Witherspoon as well, he seems to be a super high character kid and he loves contact. Gonzalez is clearly CB1 in this class though, IMO, because he has the physical profile of an elite #1 CB.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

What game should I watch that shows him showing off top 20 talent?

I mean with him you'll either see it or you won't. He's a polarizing guy I won't deny it. I think he'll become dominant with time. But if you think the projection doesn't warrant a 1st round pick it's understandable.

12 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I mean with him you'll either see it or you won't. He's a polarizing guy I won't deny it. I think he'll become dominant with time. But if you think the projection doesn't warrant a 1st round pick it's understandable.

Dam lol cause I tried and he either didn’t do anything except a play or 2 or didn’t even play. I wanted to see him vs tcu don’t think he played that game 

28 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Dam lol cause I tried and he either didn’t do anything except a play or 2 or didn’t even play. I wanted to see him vs tcu don’t think he played that game 

It's unfortunate that we're probably not going to get testing numbers for him before the draft.

Glad we’re having this conversation about Wilson as he’s certainly in contention based on projections. 

I for one am not an advocate. I just can’t get over that slow first step and lack of bend, to me that’s kinda important for an edge.  

Projecting him as an interior d-lineman seems like it would just make things worse off. Adding 30 lbs won’t make him quicker… as for his height/length I’m worried that as an interior lineman that he’d lose the leverage game and would have difficulty anchoring at 270ish (or be slooooow at 30lbs heavier)

he’s strong I’ll give him that, but I doubt he’s as anywhere near as strong as say Gervin Dexter or Mazi Smith in the 2nd round.

I think he’s going to be a good player, just not an elite one

• Like 1