The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

11 hours ago, 101Raider said:

Glad we’re having this conversation about Wilson as he’s certainly in contention based on projections. 

I for one am not an advocate. I just can’t get over that slow first step and lack of bend, to me that’s kinda important for an edge.  

Projecting him as an interior d-lineman seems like it would just make things worse off. Adding 30 lbs won’t make him quicker… as for his height/length I’m worried that as an interior lineman that he’d lose the leverage game and would have difficulty anchoring at 270ish (or be slooooow at 30lbs heavier)

he’s strong I’ll give him that, but I doubt he’s as anywhere near as strong as say Gervin Dexter or Mazi Smith in the 2nd round.

I think he’s going to be a good player, just not an elite one

This is where I am on Wilson. If we’re looking for a power DE type then I’d much rather go for a guy like Tuipolotu later in the draft, he seems more explosive and agile given their similar sizes though Wilson has that elite length you want. Wilson worries me after the Ferrell experiment, especially with not running or doing the agility drills.

• Like 1

First 5: Louisville, Georgia, Vandy, Mizzou, Tennessee

Injuries (finger, ankle, toe, shoulder), terrible Oline, poor skill players, change at OC. 

Easy to hate on Levis, but there are some serious tools to work with. He looked like a different QB in 2021.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Injuries (finger, ankle, toe, shoulder), terrible Oline, poor skill players, change at OC. 

Easy to hate on Levis, but there are some serious tools to work with. He looked like a different QB in 2021.

As a Kentucky homer Not really he’s never looked top 20 ever. Trust me I had high hopes but the bulb just never consistently shined. That’s why I say the cutler comp. 

what would you say was his best game? This year or last?

56 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

As a Kentucky homer Not really he’s never looked top 20 ever. Trust me I had high hopes but the bulb just never consistently shined. That’s why I say the cutler comp. 

what would you say was his best game? This year or last?

I have a hard time with it, because it's Kentucky. They are awful and he didn't have a lot of help there. In the SEC it's an uphill battle if you're a bad team to boot. 

Both games against Georgia, I thought he looked good in spots. LSU in 2021, Mizzou this year come to mind of the game I watched.

I will conceded he was wildly inconsistent in game. He had have stretches where you get excited about him, then make a bad decision or throw the next series. But I think part of that is him trying to do to much. Kentucky is awful and he's just trying to make any play to keep them in games at times. 

And he took a beating behind that Oline in 2022 after Fortner and Kinnard left to the NFL. And he had nothing at WR after Robinson left. 

You'd be making a big bet on him, but the payoff would be great if you can get him right. He's smart, tough and will put in the work. Love the makeup, love the skill set.... but needs some serious refinement and coaching. 

• Like 1

Did a quick mock with a simulator, let's talk:

7. Anthony Richardson | QB | Florida

Elite potential at the most improtant position. If he is there somehow I think we need to pull the trigger. He could sit, watch and learn behind Jimmy and take over possibly next year.

38. Drew Sanders | LB | Arkansas

Raw talent, who could be a great fit in this scheme IMO. Probably not a day 1 starter, more of a rotational guy early on but he has really good potential.

70. Cody Mauch | IOL | NDSU

He played LT most of his college carrier, however his best spot is inside in the NFL. LG possibly, but could even be a good OC. He could be a really nice addition for us even as a rookie. He could play LG for us with Parham moving to RG. Then after 2024 they can decide who goes to OC...

100. Zach Harrison | EDGE | Ohio State

Big, long guy with good athleticism, who could develope into a power ED guy. Should be a good depth guy even as a rookie, but could become a solid base edge guy.

109. Eli Ricks | CB | Alabama

Long outside CB with injury questionmarks. Would be a solid gamble IMO, could give us lenght in that CB room.

141. Byron Young | DL | Alabama

Could be a nice developmental guy, who could become a good depth piece for us down the road.

144. Andrew Vorhees | IOL | USC

Versatile OL guy with starter potential. Was surprised that he was here, possibly because of his recent injury. With little luck we can get him after a slide IRL too. We could allow him to heal and start in 2024 alongside Parham 

174. Ivan Pace Jr. | LB | Cincinnati

Undersized LB at 5'10 230, still surprised me that he was available here. Could be a solid rotational guy and valueable ST player too.

204. Jay Ward | DB | LSU

Has nice size, played multiple positions for the Tigers, could develope into a solid rotational, depth DB for us.

214. Carter Warren | OT | Pittsburgh

Has decent size, could develope into a solid depth guy IMO.

220. Nick Hampton | EDGE | Appalachian State

Small tweener guy, who could find a home in this scheme as a rotational guy.

231. Tyler Lacy | DL | Oklahoma State

Interesting small school kid with a 6'4 285 frame. He could be another developmental DL guy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

34 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Did a quick mock with a simulator, let's talk:

7. Anthony Richardson | QB | Florida

Elite potential at the most improtant position. If he is there somehow I think we need to pull the trigger. He could sit, watch and learn behind Jimmy and take over possibly next year.

38. Drew Sanders | LB | Arkansas

Raw talent, who could be a great fit in this scheme IMO. Probably not a day 1 starter, more of a rotational guy early on but he has really good potential.

70. Cody Mauch | IOL | NDSU

He played LT most of his college carrier, however his best spot is inside in the NFL. LG possibly, but could even be a good OC. He could be a really nice addition for us even as a rookie. He could play LG for us with Parham moving to RG. Then after 2024 they can decide who goes to OC...

100. Zach Harrison | EDGE | Ohio State

Big, long guy with good athleticism, who could develope into a power ED guy. Should be a good depth guy even as a rookie, but could become a solid base edge guy.

109. Eli Ricks | CB | Alabama

Long outside CB with injury questionmarks. Would be a solid gamble IMO, could give us lenght in that CB room.

141. Byron Young | DL | Alabama

Could be a nice developmental guy, who could become a good depth piece for us down the road.

144. Andrew Vorhees | IOL | USC

Versatile OL guy with starter potential. Was surprised that he was here, possibly because of his recent injury. With little luck we can get him after a slide IRL too. We could allow him to heal and start in 2024 alongside Parham 

174. Ivan Pace Jr. | LB | Cincinnati

Undersized LB at 5'10 230, still surprised me that he was available here. Could be a solid rotational guy and valueable ST player too.

204. Jay Ward | DB | LSU

Has nice size, played multiple positions for the Tigers, could develope into a solid rotational, depth DB for us.

214. Carter Warren | OT | Pittsburgh

Has decent size, could develope into a solid depth guy IMO.

220. Nick Hampton | EDGE | Appalachian State

Small tweener guy, who could find a home in this scheme as a rotational guy.

231. Tyler Lacy | DL | Oklahoma State

Interesting small school kid with a 6'4 285 frame. He could be another developmental DL guy.

Like them all except the first pick TBH, some really good value there! I can see why people like Richardson and we do need a QBoTF, I just don't think he's the right kid.

Harrison is a bit of a sleeper, he's a terrific athlete and probably my favourite pick there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I have a hard time with it, because it's Kentucky. They are awful and he didn't have a lot of help there. In the SEC it's an uphill battle if you're a bad team to boot. 

Both games against Georgia, I thought he looked good in spots. LSU in 2021, Mizzou this year come to mind of the game I watched.

I will conceded he was wildly inconsistent in game. He had have stretches where you get excited about him, then make a bad decision or throw the next series. But I think part of that is him trying to do to much. Kentucky is awful and he's just trying to make any play to keep them in games at times. 

And he took a beating behind that Oline in 2022 after Fortner and Kinnard left to the NFL. And he had nothing at WR after Robinson left. 

You'd be making a big bet on him, but the payoff would be great if you can get him right. He's smart, tough and will put in the work. Love the makeup, love the skill set.... but needs some serious refinement and coaching. 

He was awful against Tennessee this year, but he also had some bad breaks in that game luck wise. Definitely a lot of raw potential, but at this point the closer we get to the draft he is my least favorite of the big 4 QBs.

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If we're dead set on taking a QB, I'm now officially team Stetson Bennett in the 5th/6th.

2wNkYVx.png

I'm not necessarily against this. I'd rather do that then get Bryce young in the first round personally as it actually allows us to build our team