Who is Your 2022 Breakout Team?

brownie man

detroit lions nfl GIF

I gotta go with the Detroit Lions. I love how this draft rounded out their team. I think signings like DJ Chark and picks like Jameson Williams will help their offense be more balanced. They've already got a strong O line, and adding Hutchinson and Pashcal should really help the defense. I also love the Kerby Joseph pick in their backend. 

If Okudah can come back healthy he should really upgrade that defense too. I think they'll find their stride Midseason and I love that they've got Hard Knocks this year. I see them at least doubling their wins and I'd guess they'll surpass doubling wins. I could see 7-8 wins honestly. I'm not sure Goff is still the long term guy, but they've got all the weapons now to put him in a position to be successful. They played with a ton of heart last year, and I think the talent they added this offseason will take them to the next level. 

Edited by brownie man
  • Like 4

Based on my predictions for all 32 teams record wise my top 3 for surprise breakout team would likely be one of the following

Eagles - I have them winning the division and going 11-6. Probably more of an honorable mention since they were a playoff team last season and they have gotten a lot of praise for their draft/draft day trade for AJ Brown, however I still feel like I see the majority believing it is Dallas division to lose going into the season, but I believe after the off season the Eagles have the more talented roster as it stands today and I believe Hurts takes a step forward this season with a lot of talent around him just needing him to keep it on course. 

New Orleans Saints - I have them as a 10 win team, though I originally thought I had them at 11-6. The Saints have gotten a lot of talk surrounding questions about their ability to perform well in the life immediately after Payton. Dennis Allen was not great in Oakland, but likely very few would have been in that situation. I believe he's a really quality defensive mind. I believe Carmichael has always been an underrated aspect of the New Orleans offense. And frankly I just feel like they are a super talented team. Kamara is one of the best backs in the league, a dual threat that can wreck defenses running the ball or catches passes out of the backfield or out wide, their OL is one of the best lines in all of football IMO though losing Armstead hurts that a little strictly on paper at least, but they addressed adding a tackle high in the draft, their pass catching unit has gone from a question mark at best or liability at worse to a unit that I believe can be one of the better units in the NFC. It feels like its been a decade since we last saw Michael Thomas, but he's still pretty young with a game that if healthy could come back to being super effective quickly and when he was doing that he was an all pro, Olave is just silky smooth with a lot of potential in every aspect of NFL pass catchers, he can be a very effective secondary pass catcher if Thomas is healthy and will be in a spot to really hit the ground running IMO with defenses focused on Kamara and Thomas. I really like the addition of Landry to the mix as well. He had an injury plagued year last season and wasnt his usual self but before that he has been super consistent. I think he fits fantastically alongside a healthy MT and young and greed Olave.

However what makes me high on the Saints is their talent on the defensive side and how dominating they can play on that side at times. Davenport is a handful that can terrorize QBs when hes healthy and while that is always a concern its virtually the only think heavily questioned when it comes to him, on the flip side you have Cam Jordan rushing the passer who is just old reliable. Always seems to be out there pressuring QBs banged up or not. A teammate everyone loves and respects and seems to be the leader of the defense. He may not be what he once was today, but he's still a very good NFL edge. But where it really shines is the area that works in tandem with the pass rush elevating one another, the secondary. For my money its the best secondary in football on paper with the addition of Mathieu even with the switch from Williams to Maye. Lattimore has stretches where he is absolutely lock down, all pro level play, it may not always been every week for 17 weeks, but it's far more often than not. You mix in that elite cover corner with a young corner like Adebo who I believe has potential to be seen as a #1 corner himself or at least a rock solid #2, a chess piece capable of impacting the game with his on field abilities or by driving the opposing team insane until they shoot themselves in the foot in CJGJ, a veterant like Mathieu has played at an all pro level recently and is also well respected, and a switch that is IMO a downgrade from Williams to Maye but isnt a huge one that still consists of having 3 safeties that can be deployed a number of different ways and have a huge impact with an effective pass rush. All designed, deployed, and called by the new HC that has shown over the past couple years that he can have this defense playing at a ridiculous level. 

Winston is the question mark, but he did have a few games where he looked like a guy drafted first overall and didnt have near the same shortcomings as he did in Tampa. But I still believe the overall team is talented enough that 10+ wins is absolutely the goal and a defense and playmakers that can do some special things enough to win a playoff game. 

The last option would be the Detroit Lions. There may not have been a team that was picking top 2 in the draft that has impressed me more that I can remember at the NFL level. The talent level was pretty pathetic last year yet that team seemed to be competitive in games they really had no business in, even late in the year of a team with so few wins. I think that locker room loves and respects Campbell and its easy to me to see why. I love his passion and energy as well. I also have loved what they have done this off season. They arent ready to compete for the division or the playoffs, but they are building the team from the ground up in a way I believe leads to success. I think they are building a foundation that could be about as good as one hopes for for a newly drafted young franchise QB in the near future, I believe they have added some really good young prospects with some first and second year guys that can continue to grow and in my eyes can be one of the best in the NFL at their positions (Swift, Hockenson, Sewell, Levi O are all guys I absolutely loved as prospects prior to this season, Okudha hasn't had the best start but is undeniably super talented). Then you add guys like Jamison Williams, Hutchison as potential blue chip prospects and a couple of guys on the next tier or two as prospects that I think can have a big impact long term like Paschal and Joseph and I see a foundation that could turn things around really quickly.

Do I see them being a playoff team? No. They arent there yet. But I predicted them to go 8-9 and I dont think that is outrageous at all. I think they take a step forward that is in line with that. And if that happens it would likely be a pretty big surprise to a lot of people. If they can do something close to that though they will habe the attention of a lot of people that expect them to be a playoff caliber team a year from now. 

• Like 3

Vikings.

I think they were a coach away last season from making the playoffs and coaches coming from working with McVay are having success.

I think they definitely make the playoffs and if there was a team that would surprise and get the number one seed, I think it would be them.

• Like 5

The Dolphins have been 10-6 and 9-8 the last 2 seasons. They can't break out either according to these random rules post by post.

Will the team be much better than before is the only qualification as far as I am concerned.

Broncos, Chargers, Eagles, Jags, Lions

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

The Dolphins have been 10-6 and 9-8 the last 2 seasons. They can't break out either according to these random rules post by post.

Will the team be much better than before is the only qualification as far as I am concerned.

Broncos, Chargers, Eagles, Jags, Lions

Dolphins haven’t made the playoffs nor you really haven’t seen people predict them to go to the playoffs. From your list, I don’t consider teams like the Broncos, Chargers, & Eagles to  be a “breakout team” considering a lot people have those teams making the playoffs. If anything, the Eagles fit that label last season instead of this season.

Edited by ClutchDJ

Miami

Hill/Waddle/Gesicki is a matchup nightmare 

+ Wilson and Williams are talented and Edmonds and Mostert create some problems with their speed

OL is better

Defense was nice second half of 21 

I’m going with Buffalo ATM but I wouldn’t be stunned if they took the division.

3 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Vikings.

I think they were a coach away last season from making the playoffs and coaches coming from working with McVay are having success.

I think they definitely make the playoffs and if there was a team that would surprise and get the number one seed, I think it would be them.

The pieces are there offensively, but so much hinges on if Cousins can be leaned on to carry the team. I don’t expect the defense to be good, it’s been a problem for two years now. Having a healthy Hunter and Smith at edge could help a ton, but the secondary and run defense looks abysmal on paper.

• Like 1

If Kevin O'Connell is as good as some folks around the league thought he was, gotta go with the Vikings. 

I'm 50\50 on how they'll do, but Minnesota arguably has the best overall roster in their division and has a decent window with Green Bay's offense looking like it could be in a bit of flux. 

• Like 1