Who is Your 2022 Breakout Team?

brownie man

7 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Jets are my pick as well. If Zach Wilson improves (like he should) this team could fight for the division title. 

I think they’re the team that most closely resembles the Bengals breakout last year - 2nd year QB, great weapons, stout D. I like Saleh as well.

Jets will be a 6 win team if lucky. I can easily see a 1-8 start.

Edit: Stout D? 

Edited by KhanYouDigIt

11 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

It would if they made an actual Playoff run for a SB birth instead of getting embarrassed in the WC rd, No?

Breakout can mean many things. Or are we really asking who is the 2022 version of the Cincinnati Bengals? In that case give me 

Jets, Jags or Giants possibly going worst to first 🤷‍♂️

When I think of breakout I think more so of a team that was just kinda meh and then improved to become a playoff level team.

13 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

This is obviously a biased pick but I haven't seen them mentioned yet so I'll say the Chargers. (They had a winning record last year but missed the playoffs so I think they should still qualify)

The team finally feels complete now and Herbert is a borderline top 5 QB. Staley finally has "His defense" so there should be no excuse for it to not at least be above average.

Even though I hate you guys, if everything clicks you have a legitimate chance at a Super Bowl this year. 

12 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Jets will be a 6 win team if lucky. I can easily see a 1-8 start.

Edit: Stout D? 

I don't expect them to win the division or make the playoffs but I could see them making a leap and being like an 8-9 team. It really just depends on Zach Wilson's development and if their other young players can stay healthy and make strides. 

Their defense was terrible but they did add a ton of pieces this offseason.

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I don't expect them to win the division or make the playoffs but I could see them making a leap and being like an 8-9 team. It really just depends on Zach Wilson's development and if their other young players can stay healthy and make strides. 

Really great pick on your part. I’m tempted to pick them too. My concern with them is their defense.

20 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Really great pick on your part. I’m tempted to pick them too. My concern with them is their defense.

Bob Salah gotta live up to his reputation as a defensive guru they've spent a ton of money on dudes in free agency and just drafted Sauce/Johnson.

• Like 1

Is there a reason we're not talking about the robust team that was clearly a quality QB away from doing some damage...and just happened to acquire a Top-3/5 QB in the league?  I get that Denver are in a murderer's row of a division, but that team has so much going for it.  If Russell Wilson is healthy and meshes well quickly, I can see them winning an awful lot of games.  Despite the gauntlet that is the AFCW right now.

16 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Is there a reason we're not talking about the robust team that was clearly a quality QB away from doing some damage...and just happened to acquire a Top-3/5 QB in the league?

Very true.

The Colts are poised to move to the next level in 2022

On 5/14/2022 at 3:43 PM, FrantikRam said:

Vikings.

I think they were a coach away last season from making the playoffs and coaches coming from working with McVay are having success.

I think they definitely make the playoffs and if there was a team that would surprise and get the number one seed, I think it would be them.

Definitely the team I am most interested in seeing the affect of a different coach.

On 5/17/2022 at 4:24 AM, NYRaider said:

I think the defense will be much better if guys stay healthy. Last season they lost both starting safeties, went through many Lbers, and lost the Carl Lawson on the DL.  If Carl Lawson is healthy and Jermaine Johnson plays well, the DL could be pretty good, especially if they sign Larry O.  The defense needs a good DL and last season we had multiple injuries at DE so had absolutely zero pass rush. And we were starting rookies at CB. The CB room is massively upgraded. Jordan Whitehead is a upgrade over what we had at safety, and Joyner is coming back from injury. If guys are healthy, the DL will create problems. 

• Like 1

Washington/Denver/Baltimore/Cleveland would all be my 'safe' picks. 

Detroit/NYJ/NYG/Jax -- being legitimate breakout candidates:

• Lions - Goff can win with talent around him; better than their record indicated; good up-front; Dan Campbell and all that energy
  • Jets - pieces are in place for ZW; roster is a lot better than people realize, albeit contingent on some unrealized potential
  • NYG - underperformed IMO; roster is good enough if DJ improves; Daboll
  • Jax - Trevor Lawrence, if he's the guy everyone thought he'd be.. the rest won't really matter

Chances are one of those four teams takes a massive leap, happens almost every year. 

I define "breakout" as rising two or more tiers--9 or more franchises--and plateauing or improving for years afterward.

While I have nothing good to say about the organization, from owner down to waterboys, Washington may be in the best position to make such a leap.

They did draft well, and didn't get pillaged in free agency.  They're still bottom-feeding among journeymen QBs but Wentz could be the best of a bad lot.  They grossly underperformed on both sides of the ball last year:  11th in aggregate going into 2021 but 22nd (DVOA) on the field.  They desperately need to break the injury curse.

Dallas will almost certainly win the NFC-East but, assuming the Eagles manage their usual face-plant, Washington rates to be second based on positional and Win-Loss schedules that glow in the dark.  They were lucky to win 7 (T22nd) games last year.  I could see them winning 9 (T13th) in 2022.  

To sustain that level they'll need to stumble onto a franchise QB in the 2023 draft.