Rookie Starters

Pastor Dillon

7 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

I agree, I don't think the win total changes much. I think we see a bigger change in the point differential and we're more competitive. Maybe we win 2 more games, but I don't see much more than that. However, I expect less blowout games than we had last season (Bills by 40, Colts by 31 and 28., Seahawks by 20, etc). 

The point differential in losses last season was something like 17ppg; So if we can lose on average by 7ppg, we’ve made a HUGE improvement.

Even if we're bad, I don't believe that's our intention. I think we were trying to win last year too, and I think we might've if we'd have had some semblance of a running game. If we were tanking, and if we were still tanking, I think we'd have retained Culley as coach. The Culley firing tells me that expectations were higher than the results. I actually thought the defense was really competitive last year, and I think they'd have been even better if the offense were able to stay on the field occasionally. For me, it all comes  down to the ground game. Really, for me, it all comes down to Marlon Mack. If he can be the player he once was, I think the offense fuggn SKYROCKETS, I really do. If Mack puts up even like 85 yards rushing week one against the Colts and we win, it's game on. 

Also, the assumption that we'll be bad involves our young players not making any noticeable impact, or improving in a meaningful way. I believe Nico Collins has the potential to be one of the best WRs on the planet. Will he be? I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet he makes more  than a handful of incredible catches this season, and he's actually much faster than people realize too. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Brevin Jordan quickly develop into a consistent chain-mover in our offense. Davis Mills, to me, has no ceiling. He's got a lot of the same characteristics of some of the best to ever play the game. He's got a real good understanding of timing, and really, really impressive accuracy in my opinion. The one throw over JC Jackson to Chris Moore for a TD against the Pats, and throw to  Burkhead on a wheel route against the Chargers are the first two pieces of evidence that come to mind. He puts the ball where only his guy can get it. I think his ball placement could be ELITE. 

If the plan is to tank, I could see some of these  young players  ruining that plan. 

Eternal optimism is a thing, I guess. I’d love what you’re pitching, I simply don’t see it from this particular roster.

The Texans aren’t the only team with shiny new toys, y’know. Colts made a significant improvement at QB, Jacksonville reinvented their WR/TE room and while the Titans lost their best WR, they drafted a carbon copy to replace him (oh yeah… Derrick Henry is back, too).

That’s just in-division, too. The AFCW is improved top to bottom and doesn’t have an easy win in the division (Chargers will have revenge on their minds, the Texans basically took their playoff path away) the NFCE has two winnable games with NYG and Washington, but that’s about it. NYJ looks like one of the most improved team in football, and the Browns? Well, they got a new QB… who ain’t that bad (at football, at least - no comment outside of football). The Bears should be a competitive game, though - that’s one.

It’s very feasible the Texans are better in every measurable statistic… and lose MORE games than under David Culley. Has nothing to do with this team, moreso the other teams on the schedule. This schedule does this team no favors whatsoever.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Eternal optimism is a thing, I guess. I’d love what you’re pitching, I simply don’t see it from this particular roster.

The Texans aren’t the only team with shiny new toys, y’know. Colts made a significant improvement at QB, Jacksonville reinvented their WR/TE room and while the Titans lost their best WR, they drafted a carbon copy to replace him (oh yeah… Derrick Henry is back, too).

That’s just in-division, too. The AFCW is improved top to bottom and doesn’t have an easy win in the division (Chargers will have revenge on their minds, the Texans basically took their playoff path away) the NFCE has two winnable games with NYG and Washington, but that’s about it. NYJ looks like one of the most improved team in football, and the Browns? Well, they got a new QB… who ain’t that bad (at football, at least - no comment outside of football). The Bears should be a competitive game, though - that’s one.

It’s very feasible the Texans are better in every measurable statistic… and lose MORE games than under David Culley. Has nothing to do with this team, moreso the other teams on the schedule. This schedule does this team no favors whatsoever.

Ya, we picked the perfect time to suck with the AFC to top heavy. I don’t care about the record, just want to see guys put in the position to make plays by the coaching staff, and then some of these shiny new toys make plays.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Ya, we picked the perfect time to suck with the AFC to top heavy. I don’t care about the record, just want to see guys put in the position to make plays by the coaching staff, and then some of these shiny new toys make plays.

As I said earlier - if our margin of loss is two scores a game or less, if our worst loss is 21 or less - I don’t care if we go 0-17, because our schedule is unforgivably hard this season. Our roster is still very liquid year over year, only 20 or so guys have a long term future with this team. Rest of the team is comprised of guys who might be a year away from USFL or XFL tenures.

I only see three games that are even a coin toss: NYG (that one actually might be a W) Washington (true coin toss because Washington has one of the best front sevens in football - and that was without Chase Young, who missed last season with an ACL) and Chicago (which should also be a near lock W). Outside of those three, Texans have to be decided underdogs in the other 14 games on tap - just be competitive from the 1st until the 4th, cover spreads and don’t get blown out; That’s it, that should be the goal for this core.

On 5/30/2022 at 12:27 PM, ET80 said:

This schedule does this team no favors whatsoever.

To further belabor this point:

Texans have the 5th hardest schedule this season. For a 4-13 team that’s “running it back” with a similar team that averaged a margin of loss of 17 PPG? 

Hope for wins at your own risk, that’s all I’m saying.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ET80 said:

To further belabor this point:

Texans have the 5th hardest schedule this season. For a 4-13 team that’s “running it back” with a similar team that averaged a margin of loss of 17 PPG? 

Hope for wins at your own risk, that’s all I’m saying.

This season is all about seeing if David Mills is the QB of the future. The goal is determine that and hope the browns suck. 

we’ve got young guys that need to grow and develop but guys like Stingley and Metchie are gonna just have to get healthy and ready to go next year. I’m kinda shocked we took two guys with such injury concerns in the first two rounds because we HAVE to hit on them or this rebuild is gonna last forever. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

we’ve got young guys that need to grow and develop but guys like Stingley and Metchie are gonna just have to get healthy and ready to go next year. I’m kinda shocked we took two guys with such injury concerns in the first two rounds because we HAVE to hit on them or this rebuild is gonna last forever. 

Maybe it’s me, but I’m fine considering this a redshirt season for both these two guys, let ‘em get healthy first and foremost.

I expect both to play this season - but if they’re on a pitch/minutes count, I’m ok.

6 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

This season is all about seeing if David Mills is the QB of the future. The goal is determine that and hope the browns suck. 

Stingley isn't injury prone though.

He just got injured and then played hurt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UKTexans said:

Stingley isn't injury prone though.

He just got injured and then played hurt.

Ditto with Metchie - his ACL tear is no different than his Alabama teammate Jamison Williams, who went in the top 20.

With the right rehab and recovery plans, both should come back with very little slowdown. I’m okay with this season being light for both, just to play it cautiously.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So I think we can confirm Stingley, Pitre and Pierce will start and make significant impacts to this team this season.

Kenyon Green might not be ready, and that's a scary proposition for a rookie OL. Show SOMETHING, big fella.

Metchie's situation is incredibly unfortunate, but he's going to be back next season - and I expect him to have a long and fulfilling career.

Christian Harris needs to see the field, guy always seems nicked up. This is the big leagues, get your mind right.

I've seen a lot of Austin Deculus, and he's a lot better than I give him credit for. I think he's a reasonable backstop in the event Tytus Howard leaves via FA. 

Teagan Quitty? ST body, occasionally an extra blocker this season (so, he's going to be SIGNIFICANTLY better than Kahale Warring or Bennie Joppru, at least).

This looks like another solid class by Nick Caserio.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

So I think we can confirm Stingley, Pitre and Pierce will start and make significant impacts to this team this season.

Kenyon Green might not be ready, and that's a scary proposition for a rookie OL. Show SOMETHING, big fella.

Metchie's situation is incredibly unfortunate, but he's going to be back next season - and I expect him to have a long and fulfilling career.

Christian Harris needs to see the field, guy always seems nicked up. This is the big leagues, get your mind right.

I've seen a lot of Austin Deculus, and he's a lot better than I give him credit for. I think he's a reasonable backstop in the event Tytus Howard leaves via FA. 

Teagan Quitty? ST body, occasionally an extra blocker this season (so, he's going to be SIGNIFICANTLY better than Kahale Warring or Bennie Joppru, at least).

This looks like another solid class by Nick Caserio.

Green will be ready. Hoping he gets a couple quarters and then they just insert him in the starting 5 for Week 1

i know he can’t be worse than Scharping 

• Like 1