Who are the biggest chokers in NFL history?

biggie.

7 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Andy Reid

If it wasn't for Kyle Shanahan 4th QT ineptitude,  this would actually be the correct answer. However....

Atlanta OC 27-3 4th QT collapse vs Patriots (31 pts)

Niners HC/OC 20-10 4th QT collapse vs Chiefs SB (21 pts)

Niners HC/OC 17-7 4th QT collapse vs Rams (13pts)

Kyle Shanahan 

Edited by Nabbs4u

All of the people who have won at least one Super Bowl being listed amuses me. Here’s mine:

Coaches: 

Kyle Shanahan, Marty Schottenheimer

Teams:

The Cincinnati Bengals, Minnesota Vikings, Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, Atlanta Falcons, San Diego Chargers, and Houston Oilers/Texans all have lost multiple games while leading in gut wrenching fashion historically all without Super Bowl titles

Players:

Matt Ryan, Warren Moon, Gary Anderson, Phillip Rivers, Donovan McNabb

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

1991-93 Houston Oilers. Had a total of 25 players selected for the Pro Bowl in those three years, but didn't even make it to the AFC Championship game, let alone a Super Bowl. The defining moment was against Buffalo in the 92 AFC WC, and Montana and Marcus Allen basically put the dagger in the heart of the Oiler franchise a year later (which led to the move to Nashville).

Three Hall of Famers on that roster, too - Warren Moon, Mike Munchak and Bruce Matthews.

That ‘93 team was perhaps the most dysfunctional team in all of sports - it was Buddy Ryan and the defense vs the entire organization, it seemed. He famously punched OC Kevin Gilbride after an lost fumble in a Week 17 game (after the Oilers won the division and were playing backups). The Oilers still won that game, but the animosity was on on display for the public to see.

The team started 1-4 (culminating with an embarrassing loss to Buffalo) then the team benched Moon to get a spark going. Backup Cody Carlson got hurt in his first game, so Moon came in and the Oilers reeled off 11 straight wins in the process. Then the playoffs started and Joe Montana, Marcus Allen and Derrick Thomas made very short order of that 46 defense and Run and Shoot offense.

Shortly afterwards, Buddy Ryan took off to Arizona and Bud Adams starting yelling for a new stadium. Warren Moon was traded to Minnesota, the Oilers went 2-14 and Adams announced he was moving the team to Tennessee…

Aaron Rodgers is quickly entering this chat but IMO on more then a few of those playoff runs they were clearly the less talented team being dragged to the playoffs by Aaron Rodgers usually either due to injury or just being terrible on defense. 

• Like 1

I can't argue the Falcons being chokers but I will argue Ryan isn't a choker. Apart from one disastrous game vs the SB champs to be in the NY Giants he's been great in the playoffs. 2012 vs Niners should have been a win but Harry Douglas was the one that choked. For the SB it was Freeman missing a key block in pass-pro and Shanahan for going full dumbass with the gameplan in the 2nd half.

Thinking about it I do feel like the Saints deserve a honorable mention. Beastmode was a great play but also an amazing choke. Same goes for the Diggs catch in 2017 against the Vikings in the WC round. Steelers/Big Ben/Tomlin also deserve a mention. Generally pretty stacked teams that haven't done much in the playoffs and deserve the choker moniker for getting dunked on by Tim Tebow.

12 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

Steelers/Big Ben/Tomlin also deserve a mention. Generally pretty stacked teams that haven't done much in the playoffs and deserve the choker moniker for getting dunked on by Tim Tebow.

I get what you're saying, but Ben WON 2 Super Bowls and Tomlin won one. I personally don't think any Super Bowl champ should be mentioned as a choker at all.

1 minute ago, SHONUFF said:

Norwood is the first name that comes to mind. There is none greater to be honest. It really stinks because he was a great kicker. 

I'll always die on the hill that Norwood was a victim of having to kick that just out of his range. Dude was money from 45 in...he was about 1 for 6 or 1 for 8 in his career at that range or longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I get what you're saying, but Ben WON 2 Super Bowls and Tomlin won one. I personally don't think any Super Bowl champ should be mentioned as a choker at all.

I think that is looking a bit to much at the results and not at the process. Big Ben and Tomlin might have been clutch almost two decades ago but those times have clearly passed and I don't think they should get a pass for that. Following your logic the 1990 - 1993 Bills wouldn't have been chokers if they only had won that first SB.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll always die on the hill that Norwood was a victim of having to kick that just out of his range. Dude was money from 45 in...he was about 1 for 6 or 1 for 8 in his career at that range or longer.

Yep.

25 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

I think that is looking a bit to much at the results and not at the process. Big Ben and Tomlin might have been clutch almost two decades ago but those times have clearly passed and I don't think they should get a pass for that. Following your logic the 1990 - 1993 Bills wouldn't have been chokers if they only had won that first SB.

I think that the bills example is not a great one. They were massive underdogs in three of those games. They were a massive favorite in the Giants game, but if they had won the game they were supposed to and lost the three that they were projected to comfortably lose, I'm not sure how we'd still consider them chokers. That Dallas squad is one of the greatest dynasties in history and that 1991 Washington team is often put into the pantheon of greatest teams ever.