Who are the biggest chokers in NFL history?

biggie.

1 hour ago, biggie. said:

Ngl, out of all of our SBs, I was most confident against McNabb's Eagles.

BB is a genius. We all know this.

The game plan was a bunch of weird 5 man fronts to neutralize Westbrook.

He had zero fear of McNabb for good reason.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

McNabb vs Romo. Who was more un-clutch in go-home games?

How many week 17 for the division games did Romo implode in? Was it 3 in a row?

I know he actually spanked Philly finally in 2009 and again a week later.  (McNabb hallway clown dance game)

2 weeks, 73 passes, 7 points, 1 pick, 3 fumbles, 2 lost, and a hallway dance. (McNabb wins the tiebreaker for this IMO)

Was there ever a more fitting last game with a team than McNabb hallway dance?

The weird thing about that Seattle playoff game is that he wa fine as a QB but they were still using him as a holder for some reason...

Edited by SkippyX

3 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

How many week 17 for the division games did Romo implode in? Was it 3 in a row?

I know he actually spanked Philly finally in 2009 and again a week later.  (McNabb hallway clown dance game)

The weird thing about that Seattle playoff game is that he wa fine as a QB but they were still using him as a holder for some reason...

I don't know. They both had a lot of James Harden in them.

Week 17 McNabb vs Romo was for the bye if Philly won (2 seed)

The WC game was a chance for redemption...

Not so much. Then Reid trades him on Easter and Sam McNabb compares his son to Jesus.

What a family. Wilma rooted for the Eagles to lose in the 2006 playoffs.

Edited by SkippyX

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

The shot I was taking is actually at the “wins aren’t a QB stat” folks. Mostly because there’s no meaningful argument for Brady as the GOAT outside of what they would insist on deeming “his team’s success.”

I’m fine with that, because I recognize that the impact of QB play on team success is so substantial that they should receive credit or blame (within reason) for wins and losses. The typical disclaimer that extreme circumstances (Manning winning the SB in 2015, Josh Allen losing to KC this past year) will create outliers and reasonable context always applies.

On the topic at hand, it’s interesting because this is a situation that does sorta suggest the opposite of my position on QBs and winning.

There’s no question that sometimes Manning played poorly (especially in comparison to his usual excellence) in the playoffs. Same is true of Rodgers. But one of the things that’s relatively remarkable about Brady’s career, and interestingly in common with Manning’s SB years, is that he has also played rather poorly a fair amount in the playoffs — but his team has been able to overcome that with more regularity. In almost 40% of his playoff games (18 out of 47), Brady posted a passer rating below 80. But the Pats/Bucs still won 10 of those 18 games. Interestingly, outside of their three SB runs, neither Manning’s nor Rodgers’s teams have ever won a playoff game where they posted a passer rating under 80. 

In other words, it seems that every QB will have “bad” games in the playoffs. Even the magnificent Tom. One of the things that led to the amazing Pats run was the way that his team found ways to win when he didn’t play well. Maybe that was part of the magic with him as well, finding ways to make just enough plays even when he’s played poorly.

But I guess the point is: Rodgers and Manning also won the whole thing every single time that their team was good enough to bail them out on a bad game. They look like bigger chokers because their team generally lost when they didn’t play well — but they didn’t have quite the same luxury a guy like Brady had, with a team around him that could regularly pull through even when he wasn’t quite at his best. 

Great post. One of the best I've ever read on this site.

Rodgers and Manning combined to lead their team to Game Winning Drives in 4 times in a combined 48 playoff games.

Brady led his teams to Game Winning Drives 14 times in 47 games. (you'll never guess what the end results of the bulk of those GWDs are)

The requirement to winning playoff games is scoring more points than the other team if your rating is 72 or 92 or 122.

Game Winning Drives are often what you use when its not a 122 rating.

Manning had passer ratings of 70.5 and 74.5 on his SB winning playoff runs with a total of ZERO GWDs

Rodgers was amazing in 3 games and bad in the NFCCG but put up a very impressive 109.3 overall. (No GWDs required thanks to BJ Raji)

Brady had ratings of

• 77.3 (with 2 GWDs)
    • In front of about 100 million people John Madden said he would be crazy to try for that last GWD
  • 84.5 (2 more GWDs)
  • 109.4 (1 GWD) 
  • 100.3 (2 more GWDs)
  • 97.7 (1 more GWD)
  • 85.8 (2 more GWDs)
  • 98.1 (1 more GWD)

Want to add his near misses?

• 96.0 (no GWD for a change)
  • 100.4 (1 GWD)
  • 108.6 (1 more GWD)

So if you look at Brady's 10 SB runs, you have a rating around 92-96 with 13 GWD or an average of 1.3 per SB appearance

BTW, Brady had possible 4th quarter GWDs  in 2 of the 3 SB losses but his D was not good enough to hold on.

Now look at any 3 consecutive Peyton Manning playoff games excluding Denver and KC in 2003.

There's 25 games there. We will wait for you to find the 3 good ones in a row...

Maybe that's what led to all the failures?

Rodgers TD to INT ratio

Regular Season: 449 to 94 or 4.78 to 1

Wildcard Round : 15 to 1

Divisional Round: 18 to 4 or 4.5 to 1

NFCCG: 9 to 8 or 1.13 to 1

Lets blame his team and his coach and his GM and his front office and the grassy knoll.

myth-busted.jpg

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

Brady is 7-9 in the playoffs with 24 TDs to 16 picks in the years he did not get to the Super Bowl. 

- That's ignoring 25 to 31 of the best 100 or so playoff performances in NFL History.

Manning is 12-13 with 32 TDs to 25 picks if you take out the Denver and KC games from 2003.

- That's ignoring 2 games against 2002 Denver and the Red Carpet Defense.

Rodgers is 7-9 in the playoffs since his lone SB.

He had 4 games of 100+ rating in his first 5 playoff games.

He has 6 in his last 16.

Rodgers has 4 one-and-dones in 11 playoff years.

Manning has 9 in 15 playoff years.

Brady has 3 in 19 playoff years.