Ryan Poles general evaluation and opinions

JAF-N72EX

I am also not sure he is right on guys like Pringle and ESB, etc. and everyone else is wrong.  

When a guy is cheap and his team doesn’t want him anymore and there is no character or injury concern, I ask what is the deal?  They just lived with that guy day in and day out.  It’s a giant red flag.  Ditka said that was biggest thing he learned in NFL. Don’t sign players his former coach or team didn’t want back. 

Good news is he or guys on his staff also lived with those guys too.  So we’ll see.  There is a disconnect happening somewhere.  Hopefully works in our favor.  

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I am also not sure he is right on guys like Pringle and ESB, etc. and everyone else is wrong.  

To be fair I think it’s an assumption that KC didn’t want Pringle back. I haven’t seen that anywhere (not prioritizing him and not wanting him back are different things), and if he knew his role there was likely maxed out in KC as a 60-target guy and/or a tertiary target there he may have preferred a shot at a bigger role elsewhere if he could get comparable money. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

To be fair I think it’s an assumption that KC didn’t want Pringle back. I haven’t seen that anywhere (not prioritizing him and not wanting him back are different things), and if he knew his role there was likely maxed out in KC as a 60-target guy and/or a tertiary target there he may have preferred a shot at a bigger role elsewhere if he could get comparable money. 

I agree with this point. If everyone that hit free agency did so because their former team did not want them and thus that must mean that they suck, then what would be the point of free agency? Why do some free agents generate bidding wars for their services? Also, why are we at this point using Mike Ditka as a reference on anything? That's like using Wikapedia as a source for a research paper.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Say they did load up around Fields at the skill positions. Say we added Amari Cooper and Juju alongside Mooney and maybe Austin Hooper too. Expectations for Fields in 2022 (at least outside HH) would be astronomical, and in all likelihood, unrealistically so. His 2021 rookie year offered him questionable development, and he himself has undergone some pretty significant fundamental changes this offseason. You could very easily contend that putting him in a situation where a big leap in 2022 is the expectation would have been setting him up to fail more than what was done giving him what most are terming to be underwhelming weapons. The 2022 expectation with what they’ve done seems to be growth, which is certainly long term oriented and realistically attainable, and bolstering the secondary should help keep them competitive along the way and, if Fields still makes a big jump, maybe more than just competitive. Again, not what I expected them to do, but if that’s the plan here then at least I get it.

I don't see how this would've been considered a bad thing at all.  for one, If a QB fails simply because of the enormous amount of pressure and expectations then he wasn't going to work out anyhow. 2) Even if he did fail then we would at least know where he stands at in his development since having weapons around him would eliminate this part of equation. We would know that it wasn't the lack of supporting cast holding him back.  Which is much better than him failing with a lack of weapons and still leaving questions about whether it was him or the supporting cast--which could very well be the argument next season.

• Like 2

OTC just updated this yesterday

We have more cap space allocated to dead money than the 4 highest paid players on the team combined, and 44% of this dead money is paying for Khalil Mack to play for another team.

I have a lot more to say about this but I don't have time right now.

atPUe0w.png
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

OTC just updated this yesterday

We have more cap space allocated to dead money than the 4 highest paid players on the team combined, and 44% of this dead money is paying for Khalil Mack to play for another team.

I have a lot more to say about this but I don't have time right now.

atPUe0w.png

Rebuild is forced on Poles.

This is danger of keeping a flailing GM trying to save his job in a limited time.  

We talked about it last two years.   

I give him credit.  Pace had guts.  He drafted a project QB, hired a project coach and then quadrupled down and ripped eject lever out of jet by trading for and then paying Mack.  

When Nagy and MT didn’t work out after 2018 season it was over.  We were screwed until first rounders came back online.  He should have made no major signings in that time while team reset and waited to draft a new QB.  But he couldn’t just do that because he would get fired for losses or felt he would.

So he had to make desperate bad decisions in hope that he got lucky.  So we laid on a lot of bad contracts that handcuffed Poles.  

Now if Bears had LA mentality there are things they could have done to avoid a total rebuild.  I laid them out in other threads.   But Poles didn’t want to go that route and he may have been forced (likely even) by internal budget constraints.  You can manipulate cap, but team still has to pay real dollars.  

I mean during 2019 when it became clear we weren’t nearly as good as we thought.  I thought we would be good in summer of 2019 too.   

In season in 2019 was time to realize Bears have to start thinking and planning reset.   They didn’t get it right.  

• Like 2

I also give Pace a ton of credit for drafting Fields in his position.  That took integrity.   He screwed it up with the whole Dalton plan though.

Fangio should have reset last year too instead of drafting a cb and trying to be good.   Maybe he didn’t have option.  

take the dead money now in a season where we aren't going to compete and use that money in the future now. atlanta is also doing that right now. buffalo did it at the beginning of their new regime.

the bill has to get paid eventually and that bandaid is better to be ripped off now then later. 

3 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

take the dead money now in a season where we aren't going to compete and use that money in the future now. atlanta is also doing that right now. buffalo did it at the beginning of their new regime.

the bill has to get paid eventually and that bandaid is better to be ripped off now then later. 

As it stands right now, Chicago’s $99.6 million in 2023 salary cap space is tops by nearly $30 million over the second place Seahawks.

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Rebuild is forced on Poles.

This is danger of keeping a flailing GM trying to save his job in a limited time.  

We talked about it last two years.   

I give him credit.  Pace had guts.  He drafted a project QB, hired a project coach and then quadrupled down and ripped eject lever out of jet by trading for and then paying Mack.  

When Nagy and MT didn’t work out after 2018 season it was over.  We were screwed until first rounders came back online.  He should have made no major signings in that time while team reset and waited to draft a new QB.  But he couldn’t just do that because he would get fired for losses or felt he would.

So he had to make desperate bad decisions in hope that he got lucky.  So we laid on a lot of bad contracts that handcuffed Poles.  

Now if Bears had LA mentality there are things they could have done to avoid a total rebuild.  I laid them out in other threads.   But Poles didn’t want to go that route and he may have been forced (likely even) by internal budget constraints.  You can manipulate cap, but team still has to pay real dollars.  

Pace did what your supposed to do. Find a QB you believe in and do everything in your power to build around him during his rookie contract. He just chose the wrong the QB and coach.

Meanwhile, Poles has done the opposite. He has treated this offseason as if he doesn't have a QB to build around, despite Fields being 5x the prospect Mitch was. We had 33M to start to the offseason (10th most in the league) and he squandered 24 of it by shipping Mack for only a 2nd round pick. This was his first mistake. If Pace had done this then we would never hear the end of it. But I guess it's okay now because....reasons.

Look at how dumb it was. 

Here is every teams highest dead cap and the percentage allocated of total dead cap.  The league average is ~8.5M for each top player. Mack was 24M.

Khalil Mack's dead hit is bunched up with Matt Ryan, Russ Wilson, and Deshaun Watson. You expect that type of hit from QBs.  Also, Armstead is the Saints top guy but Brees just missed it with 11.5M. All of this is understandable. Mack for 24M doesn't.

Team Dead Money Player Highest Dead Cap % Dead
ATL $63,159,458 Matt Ryan $40,525,000 64%
SEA $46,018,057 Russell Wilson $26,000,000 56%
CHI $56,150,263 Khalil Mack $24,000,000 43%
HOU $52,234,624 Deshaun Watson $16,200,000 31%
NO $33,336,318 Terron Armstead $12,981,324 39%
DET $20,284,830 Trey Flowers $12,112,376 60%
LAR $13,521,999 Robert Woods $11,900,000 88%
NYG $32,509,737 James Bradberry $11,727,778 36%
GB $24,630,944 Za'Darius Smith $11,424,443 46%
PIT $30,863,174 Ben Roethlisberger $10,340,000 34%
JAX $23,096,998 Joe Schobert $9,937,500 43%
MIN $22,089,562 Anthony Barr $9,890,000 45%
PHI $46,095,569 Fletcher Cox $9,641,408 21%
CAR $23,518,693 Matt Paradis $8,293,334 35%
LVR $29,533,795 Yannick Ngakoue $8,000,000 27%
TB $19,433,241 Ali Marpet $7,150,000 37%
DAL $22,708,133 Jaylon Smith $6,800,000 30%
DEN $14,938,134 Ja'Wuan James $6,000,000 40%
MIA $8,506,400 DeVante Parker $5,400,000 63%
BUF $16,504,620 Star Lotulelei $5,200,000 32%
CIN $9,609,245 Trae Waynes $5,000,000 52%
KC $7,982,236 Anthony Hitchens $4,223,750 53%
WAS $6,340,496 Landon Collins $3,825,000 60%
CLE $18,773,055 Austin Hooper $3,750,000 20%
SF $6,495,226 Weston Richburg $3,453,651 53%
BAL $10,266,879 Tavon Young $3,338,000 33%
LAC $3,661,390 Bryan Bulaga $3,333,334 91%
ARI $10,333,521 Jordan Phillips $3,301,444 32%
TEN $12,301,605 Janoris Jenkins $3,200,000 26%
NE $9,158,018 Shaquille Mason $3,150,000 34%
IND $6,819,072 T.Y. Hilton $2,300,000 34%
NYJ $2,082,739 Ryan Griffin $500,000 24%

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

As it stands right now, Chicago’s $99.6 million in 2023 salary cap space is tops by nearly $30 million over the second place Seahawks.

I see you posted a quote from WCG. It looks like they can't read either because Chicago's effective cap is 96.6M and the Seahawks are not 2nd place either. Patriots are.