Ryan Poles general evaluation and opinions

JAF-N72EX

9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Couldn't predict Ogunjobi failing his physical

Couldn't predict Pringle driving like an asswipe with his child in the car

Couldn't predict Moore falling asleep at a fast food drive thru

I also couldn't predict he'd take 2 defensive players in round 2 and an old man in round 3, but here we are

Not saying we should due to hindsight... But Miss Cleo being a consultant would have saved Poles some headache. 

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Couldn't predict Ogunjobi failing his physical

Couldn't predict Pringle driving like an asswipe with his child in the car

Couldn't predict Moore falling asleep at a fast food drive thru

I also couldn't predict he'd take 2 defensive players in round 2 and an old man in round 3, but here we are

I do agree with BigBear here.  I'm not holding any GM/coach responsible for anything out of their control (injuries/being stupid/etc), unless it's been a reoccurring theme with a specific player and that really hasn't been the case with either Pringle or Moore.  Besides, Moore is a fringe player and I don't think he was going to make the final cut anyhow. Our WR group isn't any better or worse, with or without him, so it doesn't really matter if he's here or not in September.

That said,  I don't necessarily hold Poles responsible for any of these things happening but it's def not a good look for him in his first year, and the Ogun situation does make me question his evaluation process and how thorough it is, prior to his final decisions. The Steelers signing him to 1yr/8M deal after Poles was going to give him 13.5/yr for 3 years was not a good look either. And for the record, I was fine with the deal at the time.

12 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

That said,  I don't necessarily hold Poles responsible for any of these things happening but it's def not a good look for him in his first year, and the Ogun situation does make me question his evaluation process and how thorough it is, prior to his final decisions. The Steelers signing him to 1yr/8M deal after Poles was going to give him 13.5/yr for 3 years was not a good look either. And for the record, I was fine with the deal at the time.

I agree with most of this but The Steelers were able to cut a deal like this because Ogunjobi is coming off an injury and has to settle for prove it money; until he shows he's a 100%, good to go.

15 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I do agree with BigBear here.  I'm not holding any GM/coach responsible for anything out of their control (injuries/being stupid/etc), unless it's been a reoccurring theme with a specific player and that really hasn't been the case with either Pringle or Moore.  Besides, Moore is a fringe player and I don't think he was going to make the final cut anyhow. Our WR group isn't any better or worse, with or without him, so it doesn't really matter if he's here or not in September.

You very rarely hear a big FA deal announced, player signed and then invalidated on a later physical.   Most must do physical beforehand or earlier in process.  

This was a very bad look for Poles and everybody knows it.  That cost Ogum millions he will never get back due to timing of it.  I guarantee you both he and his agent are seething about it.

• Like 1

I actually like that Poles is willing to take on risks.   But you have to enforce discipline when guys screw up or it will be a problem.   You have to be preventative and proactive too.  

I mean does KC regret drafting Tyreek Hill?   Lawrence Taylor got away with a lot.   Warren Sapp and Randy Moss were problems.   They also help you win games.  

I still maintain we should have signed Kareem Hunt when Browns got him for a song after his incident.

Its a case by case basis.   I wouldn't cut Pringle for doing donuts.  I'd fine him though or whatever they can do contractually.  Make him run or roll the field or whatever.

Depth guy drugged up, driving and passed out in a drive thru - cut minute report hits my desk.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Do you think Poles made any mistakes this offseason? And if so, which ones?

I don't expect any of the koolaid drinkers to actually answer this.

@CBears019 You rarely share your opinions. You're like a robot. What's yours?

I’m pretty low key.  I’m more on the wait-and-see/apathy side of the fanbase.  I have no control over what they do.  Whether they make the moves i want them to or not, I’m still tuning in every week to watch them.  They can be 0-12 and I’ll still tune in for the last few games and be rooting for them.  The only times i lose interest is when they’re being blown out.  

It’s hard to call anything a “mistake” at this point since they haven’t played a real Game yet.  I didn’t necessarily agree with Poles approach to the offseason.  Like most, i wanted more of an emphasis on WR and OL.  If they anointed me GM for the Bears second round picks, we’re probably walking away with Pickens and whoever the top rated OL was at the time.  Nothing against the two guys we took, they both seem like they could be building blocks for this defense.  I felt getting building blocks to develop with Fields was more urgent.  But who knows?  Maybe Braxton Jones is that building block.  Probably not, but crazier things have happened.

When i first read of the Mack trade i kept looking for more sources to report on the return because a 2nd and a 6th seemed way low to me.  But if Poles was dead set on trading Mack and that’s the best offer he got, so be it.  I suppose Poles would rather take that offer than risk Mack getting injured this year and being another year older and diminishing his trade value even more.  

I don’t really feel like going through each and every move they made/didn’t make this offseason.  Overall it wasn’t too exciting.  I didn’t love Poles first offseason as GM, but I’m willing to wait it out and see how things unfold this year.  Next season he’ll have too much cap space NOT to make some significant additions, so we’ll see how that goes.  I’m not gonna stress about it, not anymore.  Life’s too hectic to worry about how well a bunch of millionaires wearing a jersey you like are playing football.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Mistakes? It's hard to say.  Did I agree w/ every move of course not.  I would have kept Demaquis Gates, Trevor Coley, and Micah Dew-Treadway on the active roster.  I loved the signing of Ogunjobi as that was someone I had pegged for a 3tech.  Didn't see the medical so I couldn't tell you whether that was preventable or not.  When the offseason began I felt it was a near certainty Mack or Quinn would be traded.  I thought a first was plausible, but again, not in the talks can't tell you whether they could have held out for a first or not.  I would have loved to have Roquan signed to a longterm deal, but again without knowing what the offer was, what Roquan was asking for, it's very tough to determine whether that was a mistake.  Will he make mistakes?  Certainly, nobody bats 1.000.  Has he made mistakes?  I'm certain he has.  Can I tell you what they are?  Nope.  Not yet.  What I feel good about w/Poles has been the transparency.  He told us what the plan was, and he went out and executed.  Just like he said he would.  J

PS... I can think of one mistake, the minute the Tevin Jenkins trade rumors started he should have come out, just like he did with Roquan, and faced the media, and told everybody Tevin was not being shopped.  That Tevin was dealing with an injury, that there were no maturity issues, and that he couldn't wait for Tevin to get back on the field and compete.  Letting Tevin hang in the wind the way they did was a mistake.

• Like 2

Honestly....this a rebuild....I dont think anything of Poles quite yet.....I think next years offseason is the real judge....having picks, having no more dead money, evaluating Fields this year year, etc.

It really is nothing to judge this year......we will see what he does when he has a first round pick and like top 5 cap space in the league next year

• Like 4

22 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I don’t know that you can really call anything a success or mistake at this juncture. To me whether the decisions made were the right ones or not requires knowledge of the outcome. We haven’t played any games yet, so we don’t have that. 

I didn’t love the return on the Mack trade but understood making the move if it was the best one available, and if taking the risk of him getting hurt again to hold out the hope for a bigger midseason trade return was too much to risk the top 40 pick we did get in the deal at the time it was made (not exactly a poke in the eye with a sharp stick it’s been made out to be) then I’m fine with that. Whether Poles’ appetite for that risk may not have aligned with mine doesn’t make his wrong, and in the long term if he’s right about Brisker and 2022 results weren’t as important to Poles as building a long term competitive roster then there’s a very easy argument that Brisker (if he hits) plus ~$30M in extra cap space for the next few years has far more value to the Bears than an aging Mack would by the time the record does matter.

With that said, there are absolutely things I would have done differently. I would have added one more FA of note at WR and would have taken Pickens (my massive draft crush this cycle) in R2. But that’s not a mistake per se to me so much as an endorsement of a different approach. As a wise man once told me, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Declaring my way right and any other way mistake ridden is pretty self-serving to me. Besides, there are reasonable and rational arguments to support every move Poles has or has not made. You or I may not agree with those arguments, but that doesn’t mean what he did should be deemed a mistake if it differs with our own plan before we’ve seen how it turns out. If Pickens turns out to be a dude and Brisker or Gordon doesn’t then yeah, that’ll be a mistake. Pre-week 1 in year 1 however isn’t the time for that discussion. 

I think you could fairly argue that signing MVS at 3/$30M with $15M guaranteed given his 4-year track record in GB of being JAG who’s fast would have been a worse decision than complementing Mooney and Pringle with Pettis and Sharpe. It’s a near certainty that none of MVS/Pettis/Sharpe are anything more than complementary or role players but one costs 10x as much as the others. I wouldn’t have given 4/$72M to Kirk either. Not going berserk to load up Fields with weapons can be (and is by many) looked at as a disservice to him. It can also be looked at as Poles being fair about what he saw from Fields in 2021 and placing reasonable expectations out of him in 2022 as he works to correct those shortcomings in his game. If he were throwing to Kirk/Juju/Mooney in 2022 expectations would have been through the roof, and if you know he’s not ready where he’s at in his development to meet that expectation then you can argue that that would be setting him up to fail too.

Personally, I would have traded for Amari Cooper for what it ultimately took in draft compensation. I’d much rather give Cooper $20M annually than Kirk $18M, especially in what the WR market has become financially. Cooper is an established, consistent 28-year old, 1000+ yard, 6+ TD guy with size who runs a full route tree and has missed just 5 games in 7 years. Not making that specific move was probably the most questionable thing Poles has done all offseason to me, and the easiest thing for me to point to right now and say that at the end of the season having not made that move will have been a mistake.

13 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

PS... I can think of one mistake, the minute the Tevin Jenkins trade rumors started he should have come out, just like he did with Roquan, and faced the media, and told everybody Tevin was not being shopped.  That Tevin was dealing with an injury, that there were no maturity issues, and that he couldn't wait for Tevin to get back on the field and compete.  Letting Tevin hang in the wind the way they did was a mistake.

he admitted on the hoge and jahns podcast that he should have communicated the whole situation better

3 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

No, but I see you won’t answer the question similar to how you said others wouldn’t answer. 

1) I did say I don't expect some to answer and it turns out I was right because here you are. Thanks.

2) Expecting someone to answer your question when you haven't answered theirs is very weird.

3) I give Poles credit where it's due and I have already answered your question that you can find using the search feature.

4) Do better. If you don't want to answer the question then ignore the thread altogether because you are doing nothing to further the conversation here.