Ryan Poles general evaluation and opinions

JAF-N72EX

53 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Are you really arguing that you can't find anyone to catch 2 passes for 33 yards and make 8 tackles in 3 games? 😆

Hell, I can find that on our own team!  Armon Watts was a UDFA he has 3 tackles and Robinson was a 5th round pick and he has 5 tackles and a half a sack more than Jones and both of them have played half as many snaps.

Fun Fact: There are currently 112 WRs with more catches than Pringle. This includes our own Equal St Micheals.

I left Pringle out of my argument 😉

12 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Part of me wonders if Poles thought we had a chance to even go into the 2nd quarter of the season 3-1, I sure as hell didn't think that was possible before. Maybe that is why he was not pursuing older vets, I really feel like this was the first year for Pace - scrap the old and find what to keep, and then try to make a big splash in year 2. Now we are sitting with a chance to be 3-1 and the next like 4-5 very winnable games - even with this roster. If we had loaded up talent to help Fields we might be damn near guaranteed to walk into the playoffs. 

Definitely agree with your assessment on their performance though. Hell you could put Landon Collins as a LB, Hightower out there, or even King at NB to get more than 8 tackles in 3 games. If just looking at DT then Suh or Richardson could just as well though, and would have helped our porous run defense. 

If OBJ looks like he is healing well would you try to lure him here to pair with Fields for the next 2-3 years? I think he's a head case but Hill, Adams, Brown and Cooper all being traded and Juju, Chark and Lazard (likely missing an obvious one but still) being the "top" of the FA class atm I would try to lock him up. Maybe you can draft a guy or get Juju if the KC experiment fails to get OBJ, Juju, Mooney as you X, Y, and Z.

Poles sitting on his hands might force him to make a gamble now. 

Not the biggest fan of 2022 OBJ but if I were Poles I would try to do something for a low cost.  We can't keep trotting out St and Pettis all season and expect good results. If anything else a vet like OBJ could possibly help Mooney and whatever rookie(s) we bring in next draft. Right now with the class looking the way it is,  I'm on the 'go WR twice in mid-rounds' train.  Regardless of what happens to Fields.  Even if the staff is ready to move on from him and draft their own guy then he's still going to need a ton of help.  Having a vet in OBJ, a  good #2 in Mooney and 2 rookies to grow with would be a good start for any QB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Not the biggest fan of 2022 OBJ but if I were Poles I would try to do something for a low cost.  We can't keep trotting out St and Pettis all season and expect good results. If anything else a vet like OBJ could possibly help Mooney and whatever rookie(s) we bring in next draft. Right now with the class looking the way it is,  I'm on the 'go WR twice in mid-rounds' train.  Regardless of what happens to Fields.  Even if the staff is ready to move on from him and draft their own guy then he's still going to need a ton of help.  Having a vet in OBJ, a  good #2 in Mooney and 2 rookies to grow with would be a good start for any QB.

We're in the same boat then. I did my draft and was trying to get two IOL and 2 WRs early on. Hopefully Poles gets it done. 

2 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

I just don't know who these comp picks are that you are talking about....and don't just google "most successful comp picks" haha

Like really tell me the late comp picks you would like starting as a rookie over Just in Jones and Muhammad?

It wouldn't be comp picks replacing Jones and Muhammad. It would be other veterans. There were a lot of them available even a few weeks before the season.

Bears would have gotten the comp picks for the 2023 draft.

• Like 2

Taking a look at single game DVOA 

*Note: These are based on early week 4 numbers before revisions and obviously before the MNF game.

*Note:  DVOA is based on preseason forecasts until there is a bigger sample size.

Opp Total
DVOA
Offense
DVOA
Offense
Pass DVOA
Offense
Rush DVOA
Defense
DVOA
Defense
Pass DVOA
Defense
Rush DVOA
Special Teams
DVOA
Week 1 SF -0.30% -8.20% 2.80% -15.60% -16.70% -31.40% -3.20% -8.70%
Week 2 GB -71.00% -33.60% -121.50% 21.90% 42.20% 61.30% 29.30% 4.70%
Week 3 HOU 18.10% -11.00% -45.60% 21.70% -28.50% -22.40% -35.20% 0.70%
Week 4 NYG -32.10% -27.10% -17.90% -32.10% 18.20% 48.50% 1.00% 13.20%

One thing that sticks out the most is both OFF and DEF Pass DVOA in week 2 and the DEF pass DVOA in week 4.  These were obviously bad, especially the OFF Pass DVOA.  OFF Pass DVOA in week 2 was -121.5% which was the 7th worse single game Pass DVOA rating of all time since 2001 (including playoffs) and the worst since 2010 week 5 vs the Panthers (-225.0%) when Jay Cutler was out for injury and Todd Collins had to start.  He went 6-16, 32 yards, 0TD, 4INT.  Bears still went on to win the game 23-6.

The DEF Pass DVOA in week 2 was +61.3% and this was the 20th worst rating all time since 2001 and the worst game since 2021 week 1 vs the Rams (+70.0%). The DEF Pass DVOA in week 4 was +48.5% and was the 35th worst rating all time.

The Total DVOA in week 2 was the 18th worst rating all time since 2001 and the worst game since 2021 week 3 vs the Browns (-99.1%).

Here are the top 10 best and worst single game OFF Pass DVOA since 2001 (350 games including playoffs)

Top 10 best

Year Week Opp Offense
Pass DVOA
2010 Week 12 PHI 147.5%
2013 Week 14 DAL 144.1%
2018 Week 4 TB 142.2%
2006 Week 2 DET 121.2%
2013 Week 5 NO 94.8%
2018 Week 10 DET 91.4%
2013 Week 6 NYG 90.6%
2012 Week 13 SEA 86.5%
2006 Week 14 STL 84.9%
2013 Week 1 CIN 84.4%

Top 10 Worst

Year Week Opp Offense
Pass DVOA
2010 Week 5 CAR -225.0%
2006 Week 13 MIN -184.7%
2006 Week 17 GB -181.3%
2010 Week 4 NYG -148.9%
2004 Week 10 TEN -128.0%
2001 DIV PHI -126.5%
2022 Week 2 GB -121.5%
2004 Week 12 DAL -120.9%
2005 Week 13 GB -117.4%
2005 Week 3 CIN -113.0%

If this continues I don't think Getsy gets another year in Chicago. This would absolutely suck for Fields cause this would mean playing for his 3rd OC in 3 years and this is how you ruin QBs. Why the hell can't Chicago do anything right?

Edited by JAF-N72EX

Bears Total Team DVOA is currently -19.5% (27th) against the 18th easiest schedule with a variance rating of +15.3% (26th) which measures consistency. 

This means the Bears are inconsistently one of the worst teams in the league despite playing a relatively easy schedule.  Which I don't think anyone can disagree with.

This team is always out of sync with itself, and right now we have a GM cheerily tearing it down to the studs, a QB trying to develop like he's learning English from wrappers he pulls out of the trash, and coaching that looks like they're worried black Monday is coming for them.  

No problem with a rebuild, but if they were going to go so cheap on offense, you could at least get something for Fields and let the poor guy try with another team. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

As someone who was worried about the OL all offseason… this is tough. 

It was obvious that this line needed more than dollar store free agents and day 3 picks.

Now we get to watch Fields get murdered for 14 more games.

He won't last 14 games at this rate.  We're already seeing him get up wincing and hobbling at times after taking hits.

46 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

This team is always out of sync with itself, and right now we have a GM cheerily tearing it down to the studs, a QB trying to develop like he's learning English from wrappers he pulls out of the trash, and coaching that looks like they're worried black Monday is coming for them.  

No problem with a rebuild, but if they were going to go so cheap on offense, you could at least get something for Fields and let the poor guy try with another team. 

If I'm Fields I'm wanting to get as far away from this franchise as possible.  I've joked before but part of me wants to see him go to another team and become a stud.

Poles free agent signings;

FB Khari Blasingame:  Truth be told, he's the best signing so far and you know it's bad when A FULLBACK is your best signing in 2022.

TE Ryan Griffin:  Honestly, he's been missed. But that's strictly because of the talent depth below him.

WR Byron Pringle:  Has 2 catches for 33 yards and is injured again. Couldn't even produce enough with Mahomes as a 5th option and wasn't even offered a 2nd contract, despite the Chiefs losing their #1 WR and being short in the WR room.  But I was told this was such a great signing and that he was an ascending player (despite film saying otherwise).

WR Equantiouns St Francis:  Has 4 catches on 11 targets. Couldn't even produce enough with Rodgers as a 3rd option and wasn't even offered a 2nd contract, despite the Packers losing their #1 WR and being short in the WR room.  Notice a theme here?

TE O' Hennessy: Didn't even make it thru camp

WR David Moore: Same as above. 

CB Tavon Young:  I thought this was a good risk signing, but it wasn't.  Always had a huge upside as a NB but was never healthy in Baltimore and this carried over. Only practiced twice all offseason and has yet to play a snap.

QB Trevor Sieman:  Cmon.  Let's be honest.... Mitch, Foles, and Dalton are better backup QBs than he is at this stage of his career.  Can't wait to see him when Fields goes down getting hit so much.

OL Lucas Patrick:  Another one I was hoping to succeed, but hasn't.

DL AQM: He's terrible on all levels. Can't play the run or pass on a consistent basis.

LB Nicholas Morrow:  Name one good play he made this season?  Me either.  But I can name three bad plays off top.

DL Justin Jones:  Same as above.

OL Dakota Dozier: Are you serious?

DL Dane Cruikshank: Are you serious?

OL Julién Davenport: Another player who didn't it make thru camp and if ANY offensive lineman can't make it on this team then they are trash. And yet, he was only signed because of his ties to Indy and Eberflus like others. This gives us a little insight on Flus' player evaluation. 

LB Matt Adams: He hasn't done anything notable but I don't expect him to either.  He's playing SAM in nickel defense so he isn't going get alot of snaps anyways. But I will say, I would prefer the staff to see what Sanborn can do over him. Adams is not part of the long term plan and they know it. So why not try out a young player who could possibly be one?  What difference would it make?

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

I questioned McCaskeys hiring of Poles,  Poles hiring of Eberflus,  every hiring by Eberflus,  their free agency approach, their draft, and how they have handled various different outcomes since then. 

I spent all off season pointing out all of these flaws and I was met with nothing but hate for it.  Yet here we are.

• Like 1