Some owners discussing invoking forced forfeiture of Cowboys

pwny

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Jerry is currently leaning back on his swivel chair, in his leather-clad, oak-furnished office, feet up on his desk, single malt whiskey in the tumbler to his left, cigar in his mouth, hands behind head - smirking. 

Some might say that he’s kind of a big deal; his books smell of leather and rich mahogany.

The NFL is so close to bottoming out.  I feel like if the Patriots win one more Super Bowl and then if there's a strike, it will reach MLB from a few years ago levels. 

Goodell needs to get fired.  Oversaturation of football.  Not ending the kneeling controversy when it started (there were ways of handling that that would have been sensitive to both viewpoints in which it wouldn't be an issue at all).  Politics in football (football is supposed to be a break from that), player "safety" rules changing the  very nature of the game.  A lack of talent.  A severe lack of QB talent.  Only a fake parity (how many teams legitimately have a shot at a Super Bowl each year). 

The NFL can't afford many more mistakes, and if the owners are in such disarray, there are going to be a lot more mistakes. 

42 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The NFL is so close to bottoming out.  I feel like if the Patriots win one more Super Bowl and then if there's a strike, it will reach MLB from a few years ago levels. 

Goodell needs to get fired.  Oversaturation of football.  Not ending the kneeling controversy when it started (there were ways of handling that that would have been sensitive to both viewpoints in which it wouldn't be an issue at all).  Politics in football (football is supposed to be a break from that), player "safety" rules changing the  very nature of the game.  A lack of talent.  A severe lack of QB talent.  Only a fake parity (how many teams legitimately have a shot at a Super Bowl each year). 

The NFL can't afford many more mistakes, and if the owners are in such disarray, there are going to be a lot more mistakes. 

I agree with all of this. Some people say that it was a good thing for players to "express their rights", but people wanna watch football to get away from real life. Like they do when they watch movies, or play video games. They may say they support it and agree with it, but it annoys the silent majority who want to get away and just relax. Whether they agree with it or not.

Interesting thing I've heard:

Some newer owners want to use this as a way to get Jerry to put Cowboys merchandise back into the revenue sharing pool.  That it's less about actually getting him out and more about them lining their pocket more.

Ultimately I think this ends with Jerry ending his thing against Goodell, the owners ending their beef with Jerry, and the usual contentious things continuing on.

Remember when Jerruh had the Nike swoosh painted on his stadium even though the NFL had an apparel deal with Reebok... Good times!

(I actually use a variation of that as a case in several sport management classes.)

Also, just so we're all clear, Jerruh is the same guy who fired a coach who just won him two Super Bowl rings because he wouldn't have drink with him (among other "reasons").

But as was noted above, Al Davis did a lot "worse" and was never removed as an owner.

As I said in the OP, this isn’t going to come to fruition. But the problem is that teams are even discussing this. There’s clearly a large scale divide between the two sides if Jones is looking to oust Goodell and some owners are looking to oust Jones. This could get really messy even if they don’t get to the point of attempting to force him out.

Archived