Jaire Extended for 4 Years

Packerraymond

Andrew Brandt -   What I've been telling people about Packers' spending over the last 25 years: They are consistently one of the highest-paying teams in the league. It doesn't seem that way because they're spending that money on their players, not free agents. But it is perennially the case.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andrew Brandt -   What I've been telling people about Packers' spending over the last 25 years: They are consistently one of the highest-paying teams in the league. It doesn't seem that way because they're spending that money on their players, not free agents. But it is perennially the case.

They have to overpay to get free agents to Green Bay.   Thats risky, get guys who have been there and know what Green Bay is all about.     

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Not quite sure what Brandt means here? 

• It's a salary-cap league; ~ everybody uses their cap money. 
  • So "highest-paying" is meaningless when everybody spends the same cap-quota of dollars.  Which Brandt knows, of course...
  • I think he's talking about high-paying as regards star players.  Packers have paid top-end players very well.  Rodgers, Bakhti, Jaire, and they were willing to do the same for Davante.  
  • Calling "cheap" when a team doesn't spend on outside FA's is always dumb.  If you're using your cap dollars, wisely or not, it's not "cheap".
  • You spend on outside FA's when internal D+D fails.  The Smith-Smith-Amos-Turner splurge was simply a manifestation that the draft had failed to produce young players worth pricey 2nd contracts.  
  • D+D enables high-paying stars.  It stocks the roster with bargain-cost players, so that you can focus the cap money on the highly-paid guys.  

1 minute ago, craig said:

• So "highest-paying" is meaningless when everybody spends the same cap-quota of dollars.  Which Brandt knows, of course...
  • I think he's talking about high-paying as regards star players.  Packers have paid top-end players very well.  Rodgers, Bakhti, Jaire, and they were willing to do the same for Davante.  
  • Calling "cheap" when a team doesn't spend on outside FA's is always dumb.  If you're using your cap dollars, wisely or not, it's not "cheap".
  • You spend on outside FA's when internal D+D fails.  The Smith-Smith-Amos-Turner splurge was simply a manifestation that the draft had failed to produce young players worth pricey 2nd contracts.  
  • D+D enables high-paying stars.  It stocks the roster with bargain-cost players, so that you can focus the cap money on the highly-paid guys.  

The statement seems simple enough. People dont associate GB with being a "high paying" team - primarily because they dont pay top dollars for FA's. That's it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, craig said:

Have you seen cap carryovers from some of the teams in the league? Not every team spends like GB. We've been up against the cap for as long as I can remember.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, craig said:

I would guess Brandt's main point is about large contracts with huge upfront money amounts. Alexander's deal has 42.5M being paid in the first year and that is not every team's approach to contracts. Contracts for Rodgers, Bakhtiari and Clark all were similar with large first year payouts. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Cool now everyone can stop it with Jaire is leaving garbage.

They will just replace Alexander with someone else to obsess about, same **** just a different name.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, R T said:

They will just replace Alexander with someone else to obsess about, same **** just a different name.  

**scans roster**

Why haven't we extended Elgton Jenkins yet, are we really gonna just let an all Pro guard walk??

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, R T said:

Don't see the problem with floating the idea out that if he wanted to re-set the CB market, we should entertain the idea of trading him. He's a significantly better player than Ward and wouldn't of been shocking to see him demand a contract that reflects that.

I don't understand why some of you act like you can predict Gute's moves. But hey, everyone's a genius using hindsight. Just like 

-There's no way we trade Adams! We haven't tagged and traded a player since Corey Williams!

-Gute doesn't draft older players, take Wyatt and other older prospects off your board!

-ILB isn't a premium position, no chance we take one in the 1st round!

Edited by Mdpackfan22
  • Like 3