Commanders Mini-Camp

turtle28

Looks like a WR if I ever saw one, maybe Robinson will play more RB & Gibby will be used more as a Wr this year… 🤞

The Washington Commanders weren't long into their draft process when they realized they would really like having Jahan Dotson on their team.

In fact, the Commanders liked the idea so much that they only interviewed him once in the months leading up to their first-round selection. Those meetings are for players who have some lingering questions surrounding them, and that wasn't the case with Dotson. They knew what kind of person he was and how that would fit into their culture.

But that's only part of the reason why the Commanders were so set on taking Dotson in a receiver-heavy 2022 draft class. Most of that centers around what he adds to their scheme, and based on what he did at Penn State, they feel like he fits in there, too.

"It's exciting when you add a player like that to the mix of what we already feel is kind of an up and coming group," offensive coordinator Scott Turnertold senior vice president of media and content Julie Donaldson.

Dotson, a four-year player for the Nittany Lions, improved each season and is coming off a career-high 91 receptions for 1,182 yards and 12 touchdowns. He was "the guy" for that offense, Turner said, and it was clear to him how much Penn State's offense was fueled by Dotson's production.

Other defenses in the Big Ten noticed it, too, and a large chunk of their plans involved stopping him. It didn't matter to Dotson.

"They knew the ball was going to him, but he was still making plays," Ron Rivera said after the first round. "And that's what gets you excited when, especially when you put the tape on and you watch game after game and you see him catching seven, eight, nine, 10 balls a game."

• Like 1

I really wish I’d see a name of a good known vet Lb signed when they decided to release Jordan Kunaszyk. 

Can we get an Anthony Barr, Dont’a Hightower, Joe Schobert, Anthony Hitchens, AJ Johnson, Reggie Ragland or AJ Klein?

Anthony Barr would obviously be our starting SLB. The other guys would be an upgrade over David Mayo as our starting MLB on run downs.

Edited by turtle28

I'm tellin' you guys! Percy Butler is gonna be a stud. I know it sounds crazy cause he was a 4th round pick. 

But the dude is gonna be the coverage Safety we haven't had since the great Sean Taylor.

Now, he's not gonna wow you in his hitting or popping guys like Sean did. He's not that type of player, or as big.

But his pursuit of the ball, on the field speed & aggressive nature will be Taylor-like.

If we're doing the adopting player this year (which I rarely have participated in).

I want dibs on this dude.  

9 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I'm tellin' you guys! Percy Butler is gonna be a stud. I know it sounds crazy cause he was a 4th round pick. 

But the dude is gonna be the coverage Safety we haven't had since the great Sean Taylor.

Now, he's not gonna wow you in his hitting or popping guys like Sean did. He's not that type of player, or as big.

But his pursuit of the ball, on the field speed & aggressive nature will be Taylor-like.

If we're doing the adopting player this year (which I rarely have participated in).

I want dibs on this dude.  

Olivia Newton John Actress GIF

48 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Olivia Newton John Actress GIF

He was a really good player in college so we will see what he can do for the Commanders. Sometimes he goes for that kill shot when a simple form tackle is all he needed I think that’s correctable. That said he’s going to flash. I give props for them finding and identifying this guy. 

9 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

He was a really good player in college so we will see what he can do for the Commanders. Sometimes he goes for that kill shot when a simple form tackle is all he needed I think that’s correctable. That said he’s going to flash. I give props for them finding and identifying this guy. 

So maybe he’s like a Laron Landry but not  as big? Landry was built like a Linebacker like Sean Taylor & in today’s game both of them may have been playing linebacker rather than safety, definitely Landry bc of his coverage deficiencies.

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

So maybe he’s like a Laron Landry but not  as big? Landry was built like a Linebacker like Sean Taylor & in today’s game both of them may have been playing linebacker rather than safety, definitely Landry bc of his coverage deficiencies.

If Landry cared about improving his game the way he only cared about his physique he could of been one of the great ones……

16 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

If Landry cared about improving his game the way he only cared about his physique he could of been one of the great ones……

Well, he did make a pro bowl in 2012, the year when Shanahan chose to stupidly franchise Fred “Smoke Dog” Davis over him.

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Interesting. If he’s a safety I sure hope they keep him at more strong than free, he can not be the last line of defense. He has awful instincts. I don’t care that he runs a 4.3 forty, he’s not a good FS bc he has bad recognition of plays/routes developing & he has awful instincts.

• Like 1