Commanders Mini-Camp

turtle28

10 hours ago, offbyone said:

I hear Chase Young isn't there.  I thought he was committed to being there?  Seems like it would be useful for him to be attending meetings. 

He’s been in contact with Rivera is what Rivera said. He’s in Colorado rehabbing not sure if that rehab entails recreational activities but… yeah. 😂 

Personally, I’m not worried about OTAs in May. If he’s not at training camp then it’s an issue.

I mean Terry isn’t there either & he’s not injured/rehabbing. Payne walked off the field. These are contract disputes which most understand and don’t have an issue with but, bc Chase didn’t do to voluntary workouts last year & made the stupid statement/reason as about him needing to have to get his $ plus he didn’t have a good 1st half of the year last year then got hurts a thing. I still don’t think it’s a big thing but of course the media & many fans will make it a thing up until & if Chase every plays like a dominant DE.

Edited by turtle28

24 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He’s been in contact with Rivera is what Rivera said. He’s in Colorado rehabbing not sure if that rehab entails recreational activities but… yeah. 😂 

Personally, I’m not worried about OTAs in May. If he’s not at training camp then it’s an issue.

I mean Terry isn’t there either & he’s not injured/rehabbing. Payne walked off the field. These are contract disputes which most understand and don’t have an issue with but, bc Chase didn’t do to voluntary workouts last year & made the stupid statement/reason as about him needing to have to get his $ plus he didn’t have a good 1st half of the year last year then got hurts a thing. I still don’t think it’s a big thing but of course the media & many fans will make it a thing up until & if Chase every plays like a dominant DE.

#culturechange :)

Young checked out last offseason and played like crap.  I get it when the 5 year vet who has been steady for some time does his own thing, but Young is not that.  

The bottom line is there is a commitment issue here.  Young clearly isn't all in on this team.  It's just voluntary work outs, but the coaching staff has emphasized it and he said he was going to be here, so in my book he loses all excuses for this.  He better be ready and perform day 1 or that bust label is gonna be delivered with a bow on it.

Rivera is busy future planning to resign Sweat and Young and decided to sacrifice Payne for that goal.  I hope he made the right decision.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I am predicting an "injury" that prevents Payne from playing for this team this year. 

We should remember, Payne at least showed up to voluntary workouts.  Even unhappy after not even being offered an extension, the guy is there.  As far as I can tell the meeting rooms this time of year are just as important as on field drills.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, offbyone said:

We should remember, Payne at least showed up to voluntary workouts.  Even unhappy after not even being offered an extension, the guy is there.  As far as I can tell the meeting rooms this time of year are just as important as on field drills.  

That fight with Allen was a death sentence for Payne. This team, regardless of regime, never passes on an opportunity to tank someone's value and let them leave in FA. 

Much like Settle and Ioannidis, Payne will go on to find success elsewhere. I don't think it's a mistake not resigning him, but he could have been traded for a decent pick before they openly told everyone their intentions. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

he could have been traded for a decent pick before they openly told everyone their intentions. 

Could he though?  I mean he's basically a run stuffing DT, and he wants to get paid.  I can see someone paying him as a FA.  But giving up a draft pick AND cap space for a run stuffer?  My guess is any trade interest was minimal at best. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Could he though?  I mean he's basically a run stuffing DT, and he wants to get paid.  I can see someone paying him as a FA.  But giving up a draft pick AND cap space for a run stuffer?  My guess is any trade interest was minimal at best. 

This is why you trade him before his 4 year and let the team he plays for decide on his 5th year option. Payne has played well each year he has been in the league. He is mostly a run-stuffing DT, but he has had 4+ sacks in 3 out of the 4 years he has been in the league. 

When they tipped their hand, minimal trade value became zilch. After he loses snaps to Mathis this year, I'm sure he won't even sign a decent contract meaning the comp pick will be very minimal (if any at all). 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

This is why you trade him before his 4 year and let the team he plays for decide on his 5th year option. Payne has played well each year he has been in the league. He is mostly a run-stuffing DT, but he has had 4+ sacks in 3 out of the 4 years he has been in the league. 

When they tipped their hand, minimal trade value became zilch. After he loses snaps to Mathis this year, I'm sure he won't even sign a decent contract meaning the comp pick will be very minimal (if any at all). 

Ya but what were we ever going to get for him?  A 5th round pick?  Like I said he will probably get money on the open market but who's going to give that contract and give up a high draft pick for him?  I can't see anyone doing that.  If that's the case, isn't getting another year of play out of him then collecting the comp pick the best result?