ESPN's 2022 Football Power Index

NYRaider

2 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Wow, they are either incredibly down on SF, or think they have an outrageous home field advantage.   I'm just going to pretend it's latter, to maintain my sanity. 

It's because they are using Lance in the model. I don't think that they article is out yet, but they address where the team would be with Jimmy G and I'm pretty sure it's considerably higher. 

• Like 1

There are some other minor disagreements I have with this list but here are the major ones: 

• Cowboys are too high
  • Colts are too high
  • Bengals are way too low
  • 49ers are too low
Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

It's because they are using Lance in the model. I don't think that they article is out yet, but they address where the team would be with Jimmy G and I'm pretty sure it's considerably higher. 

Oh, interesting.  I was assuming it was treating it as if Deebo were gone.  A two touchdown net between SF and Dallas seems pretty intense.

52 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

There are some other minor disagreements I have with this list but here are the major ones: 

• Cowboys are too high
  • Colts are too high
  • Bengals are way too low
  • 49ers are too low

I'll never understand the Colts love, like people legitimately hype them up more than they hype you guys up. With the Chargers I see it but the Colts, meh.

1 hour ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Oh, interesting.  I was assuming it was treating it as if Deebo were gone.  A two touchdown net between SF and Dallas seems pretty intense.

Its really hard for a predictive model to calculate an expected performance with such a small sample size, I think. This happened in 2017 as well when they rated the Rams like 29th because they had no idea how to evaluate what Goff would bring based on the previous season, even with the addition of Watkins, Woods, Whitworth and Sullivan. It makes sense...it's a limited sample size and how do you really extrapolate the necessary data. Add to the seen through the lens of QBR which still doesn't make any sense and there you go. Lance's QBR was miserable last year (25 versus Carolina, 31 I think against Houston which makes 0 sense, but I digress). 

Wondering where the 49ers would rank if Jimmy Garoppolo were to return as the starter in 2022? They would move up to 13th in the FPI rankings. It's a big jump, fueled by the fact that Garoppolo has posted decent QBRs throughout his career -- which is a lot better than what the model assumes the 49ers will get from Lance in 2022 on average.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Isn't that a fairly flawed way to create a model though?

You'd have to assume that if the 49ers decide to start Lance it would be because they view him in a similar league to Jimmy at this point in his development. Otherwise they'd just start Jimmy.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Everyone’s mentioning the Colts but the Cardinals at 9 is just as confusing. 

Not to me. They struggled down the stretch, but they were still a really good team, and obviously FPI isn't accounting for Hopkins suspension and at full strength I think them being a top 10 team makes sense.

• Like 1