ESPN's 2022 Football Power Index

NYRaider

5 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

Isn't that a fairly flawed way to create a model though?

You'd have to assume that if the 49ers decide to start Lance it would be because they view him in a similar league to Jimmy at this point in his development. Otherwise they'd just start Jimmy.

Yep. And as I said before, it's done through the lens of QBR, which is still black boxed and doesn't make a damn lick of sense sometimes. 

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

True that’s why I hate rankings like these. 

Just something to kill time when the off-season gets boring. To be honest, outside of the Raiders the Jets are probably the team I'm most excited to watch next season.

15 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

4 NFC teams in the top 6

5 in the top 9

6 in the top 13

So I think you're off

Don't get me wrong, the top of the NFC is every bit as good as the top of the AFC, but I think we'd all be lying to ourselves and others if we're going to sit here and try to argue that there's not a VERY STEEP dropoff after those top tier teams.

It really depends upon how you look at things. Barring significant injury/injuries, you can pretty much write the NFC North champ (Packers) in, the NFC South Champ in (Bucs) and at least write in 2 playoff teams for the NFC West (Rams and either the 49ers or Cardinals depending upon Lantz).

I'd argue Dallas in the Top 5 is a major red flag given their inability to win one of the weakest divisions in football/advance with regularity past the 1st round of the playoffs.

Sure, the AFC South is a super weak division/arguably the weakest in football that I've seen in quite some time, but both Indy and Tennessee are capable playoff contenders (and IMO weak division champs unless Matt Ryan finds a time machine), but the AFC West and AFC North are going to cannibalize one another.

You have ARGUABLY the best team in the NFL in the AFC East with a tough New England team and an on paper improved Miami team as well...with the NY Jets who just had a good draft (I still think they Jets it up, but still).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Surprised Cinci represent the half way mark . As a little test, if they played, who would you pick to win? Close, I’d say. Cinci should be higher or Colts a bit lower, or a bit of both 

If I recall correctly, this past year they had A LOT of 1 possession wins, which per the "adjusted" metric, explains why they're in the middle, not to mention their soon to be #1 schedule as the divisional champs after having the last place schedule last year.