The BBQ/Smoker Thread

MrDrew

Also a small jar of pickling spice a cup of salt, and a half cup of brown sugar and 1 or two gallons of water makes a good amount of brine for two whole chicken.

The pickling spice is surprisingly good, that’s usually my go to for chicken cause it’s so easy.

6 hours ago, MrDrew said:

The shop down here sells Lumber Jack pellets, and I've like them more than any brand. They're actually made from the wood that it says on the bag. Traeger pellets are one kind of wood, with oils from whatever wood it says on the bag to flavor it. 

I know there's a few BBQ shops in the Denver area, but I haven't actually been to any of them. If you head south, check out Colorado BBQ Outfitters. That's where I get all of my stuff. 

Wait a minute, woah woah you mean the warning that I can’t use any other pellets other than traegers is wrong?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Friend got a Primo grill (Green Egg basically). We've done Ribs/Pork Butt on it thus far while I've been around and pizza. It turns out really nicely, and with the smoker stays at a nice consistent temp. No new recipes yet, but been out grilling and smoking meat a fair amount already this year. Probably do a brisket for Memorial Day.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Last week I cold smoked two blocks of cheese (cheddar and mozzarella) and a half dozen hard boiled eggs after I pulled my smoker out of the garage for the summer months. 

Both turned out well

Wait.... Do you put your smoker away for the winter?

19 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Wait.... Do you put your smoker away for the winter?

Just to the garage where I can roll it out to the driveway to use it. Once the rain and snow stops it’s back to the patio 

36 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Just to the garage where I can roll it out to the driveway to use it. Once the rain and snow stops it’s back to the patio 

Ahhhh... That’s much better than thinking it’s too cold to use it in the winter. I know people that put it away in Oct/Nov and won’t take it out until around this time. I use mine 2-3 times a week year round, unless it’s single digits or lower

17 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Ahhhh... That’s much better than thinking it’s too cold to use it in the winter. I know people that put it away in Oct/Nov and won’t take it out until around this time. I use mine 2-3 times a week year round, unless it’s single digits or lower

I usually move it to the garage after thanksgiving... then bring it out for the first good weather weekend in the spring. 

During the winter I probably use it once or twice a week out on the driveway. Sometimes more but always at least once a week.

during the summer it replaces our oven on top of just using it for grilling and smoking. Ill use it 3-5 nights a week from now until thanksgiving 

Edited by domepatrol91

• 1 month later...

FIL is visiting next weekend. Thinking about doing a whole beef tenderloin with homemade chimichurri. But it’s blazing hot and I really don’t want to do anything but sit here and die of heat stroke 

porterhouse for dinner tonight. Classic beef, beer and Jesus situation going on this Sunday 

On 5/15/2018 at 12:27 PM, Chiefer said:

Just quartered sone venison earlier this week. Gonna buy some briquettes and grill a roast thats been marinatibg in worcestershire and liquid smoke

Any other good marinades for venison i should try?

What did you end up doing with the venison? I’ve only had venison twice, I didn’t cook it either time.

I’d really like to try cooking it myself, but I haven’t been hunting in like a decade and don’t know where else I could get venison lol

5 hours ago, Dome said:

FIL is visiting next weekend. Thinking about doing a whole beef tenderloin with homemade chimichurri. But it’s blazing hot and I really don’t want to do anything but sit here and die of heat stroke 

Put the thermometer in, and check it every 30 min while you drink inside. You're using a pellet smoker, so it's not like you have to sit there and add fuel every few min. 

2 hours ago, MrDrew said:

Put the thermometer in, and check it every 30 min while you drink inside. You're using a pellet smoker, so it's not like you have to sit there and add fuel every few min. 

I need an indoor smoker.