The BBQ/Smoker Thread

MrDrew

9 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Again what are you guys go to pellet brand?  Did research and can’t find a consensus. Don’t have the time to test several brands myself. 

Hashtag Conundrums

You won’t find a consensus I don’t think. GMG just has a blend I use. Some people are looking for a specific wood, and they have those too, but more often than not I’ll just grab the blend unless the other ones go on sale.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Again what are you guys go to pellet brand?  Did research and can’t find a consensus. Don’t have the time to test several brands myself. 

Hashtag Conundrums

I like Lumberjack, but most are pretty equal.

I try to stay away from Traeger because it's all one type of wood, with oils added for the flavor of what it says on the bag. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrDrew said:

I like Lumberjack, but most are pretty equal.

I try to stay away from Traeger because it's all one type of wood, with oils added for the flavor of what it says on the bag. 

Do the oils come from the wood they’re advertising, or is it something different entirely?

4 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Thanks for the tip @Dome & @MrDrew  Do they burn efficiently with little ash?  

Hard to say cause I don’t have anything to compare them too. I’ve always used GMG brand or Lil Devil which is more of an economy brand. 

Couldnt tell the difference with ash, I have to vacuum my igniter box out every 2-3 months. 

25 minutes ago, Dome said:

Hard to say cause I don’t have anything to compare them too. I’ve always used GMG brand or Lil Devil which is more of an economy brand. 

Couldnt tell the difference with ash, I have to vacuum my igniter box out every 2-3 months. 

Gotcha. Ok the simple solution I’m seeing here is you need to purchase several brands and let me know which worked the best. That way I can make the right purchase. If you could hurry up with that I’d appreciate it. ?

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

Gotcha. Ok the simple solution I’m seeing here is you need to purchase several brands and let me know which worked the best. That way I can make the right purchase. If you could hurry up with that I’d appreciate it. ?

On it boss

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dome said:

Do the oils come from the wood they’re advertising, or is it something different entirely?

I believe it’s the advertised wood that they get the oils from. From what I can find, it’s all alder or oak with the oils, or some are a 70/30 blend of the real thing. I know a lot of brands do a blend, but it’s the other direction (70% advertised, 30% of a base wood like maple)

I've got a large Big Green Egg I inherited from my uncle that was never used before.  My go-to's on that are London Broil, pork loins, wings and I have a great smoked loaded BBQ baked bean recipe.  I did my first brisket for Memorial Day, it turned out well but was a bit fatty since I was inexperienced with trimming it.  Now that I'm officially moved into my own house, I'm looking to expand my use of it.  

I also have a small propane gas grill set up on a stand (usually used for tailgates) and I also added a large Weber Kettle as well to do more grilling as opposed to smoking.  

• 4 weeks later...