The BBQ/Smoker Thread

MrDrew

Just finally got a propane fueled smoker, made some burgers and corn on the cob on it, turned out fantastic for my first go

Got some sirloin stakes and chicken quarters I'm going to put on today.  Was thinking of targetting about 2-3 hours for the leg quarters around 250, maybe 45-60 mins for the steaks, thinking of touching them up on the cast iron skillet, maybe 60 seconds each side, really hot.

Any have a good list of must do's/best practices to keep in mind?  Anything I should make sure I don't do?

Anything fun to try smoking, not common items?

36 minutes ago, BrettFavre004 said:

Just finally got a propane fueled smoker, made some burgers and corn on the cob on it, turned out fantastic for my first go

I’ve never used a propane smoker. How do they work? Is the heat produced by the burning wood or the propane?

3 minutes ago, Dome said:

I’ve never used a propane smoker. How do they work? Is the heat produced by the burning wood or the propane?

Yeah, little propane flame underneath a bed of wood chips.  From what I've seen, little quicker getting started and getting an electric smoker seemed like cheating to me. =P

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbuilt-Pro-Charcoal-and-Propane-Dual-Fuel-Smoker-20050412/202904343

this is one I got.

26 minutes ago, BrettFavre004 said:

getting an electric smoker seemed like cheating to me. =P

Hey now... The pellet smoker isn't cheating, it's efficient. I can cook other things, sleep, or play video games while I have something on. The WiFi ones are cheating. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, scar988 said:

The concept of an indoor smoker has me thinking heavily about trying to invent one... And not an adaptation of an outdoor one that gets used indoors. 

They have them already, but they're for restaurant use. To do it at home, you would probably need a vertical smoker with a really, really, good way to vent it. Then some sort of way to clear it of smoke before you open the door. They don't get so hot that it would be a problem, as long as it's not on carpet.

48 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

They have them already, but they're for restaurant use. To do it at home, you would probably need a vertical smoker with a really, really, good way to vent it. Then some sort of way to clear it of smoke before you open the door. They don't get so hot that it would be a problem, as long as it's not on carpet.

I was thinking like an oven type deal where you could do a smoke clearing ventilation that vents all the smoke through a chimney in the roof before you open it. 

39 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I was thinking like an oven type deal where you could do a smoke clearing ventilation that vents all the smoke through a chimney in the roof before you open it. 

We're on the same page. This is what I meant by a vertical smoker

Min-insulated-smoker-1-opt_1800x1800.jpg

It's pretty much an oven that doesn't go past 300. They make them smaller and way bigger too.

2 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

We're on the same page. This is what I meant by a vertical smoker

Min-insulated-smoker-1-opt_1800x1800.jpg

It's pretty much an oven that doesn't go past 300. They make them smaller and way bigger too.

So this could work. But I'm thinking about a suction-ventilation fan on the inside of it and it would be the size of a standard oven with the potential for 6 racks and would be around 6-7' tall.

• 1 month later...