The BBQ/Smoker Thread

MrDrew

59 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

I've always heard you don't want to brine more than 24 hours but that could be wrong...

43 minutes ago, scar988 said:

You can never brine too long. All the brine does in terms of the bird spoiling/etc is prevent it from doing so while also seasoning the meat.

Got it, thanks gentleman.

4 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Got it, thanks gentleman.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I asked my buddy who's a chef, he said you can brine a turkey/chicken for 3 days if you wanted to, but it should be with a mild brine. If you did an intense brine for 3 days it'd be a very overwhelming flavor, on the flip side you can brine something for 8 hours and get similar results if the brine is more "intense".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

This is my next adventure. 

Sounds amazing. Going to borrow a page from @scar988 as well with the paprika, nutmeg and oregano. If I was brining a chicken for me, I'd probably toss in some cayanne pepper, but rest of family will probably object. 

So @domepatrol91, you're thinking two day brine for this? I think this year we're doing an 18 lb turkey, would two days be too long?

I’d go anywhere from 24 to 48 hours. Just rinse it off and pat it dry to get rid of the extra salt.

5 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I asked my buddy who's a chef, he said you can brine a turkey/chicken for 3 days if you wanted to, but it should be with a mild brine. If you did an intense brine for 3 days it'd be a very overwhelming flavor, on the flip side you can brine something for 8 hours and get similar results if the brine is more "intense".

We’ve gone over 2 days and it can get pretty strong. Not bad at all but it definitely is noticeable.

4 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Anyone know of any Grill/Smoker combos on sale for Black Friday?

Traeger usually does something online. I would guess some of the bigger outdoors stores (Bass Pro, Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse) will probably have something too. Check with your local BBQ shop and see if they're doing anything for BF, or Small Business Saturday. If you're interested in a Traeger, Costco usually has good packages. 

The local shop I bought mine new one from offered 100lbs of pellets, and a free BBQ class with purchase. It was also discounted from MSRP. Best I saw at a big store was a free cover. 

3 hours ago, MrDrew said:

Traeger usually does something online. I would guess some of the bigger outdoors stores (Bass Pro, Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse) will probably have something too. Check with your local BBQ shop and see if they're doing anything for BF, or Small Business Saturday. If you're interested in a Traeger, Costco usually has good packages. 

The local shop I bought mine new one from offered 100lbs of pellets, and a free BBQ class with purchase. It was also discounted from MSRP. Best I saw at a big store was a free cover. 

Where do you buy your pellets around here @MrDrew?  I got my first bag just off of Amazon and was pleased but looking for some place local.

7 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

My brine is about 1/2 salt, 1/4 brown sugar bring it to a boil. Drop in a ton of cranberries, peel of an orange, a diced apple, minced garlic, pepper, and some othe crap. Great for turkey.

I remove the fruit in favor of more spices if I’m going to be brining a pork loin.

You want to expand on the "other crap" and maybe proportions garlic and pepper (and water) nad maybe shoot a brother a PM?  I'm going to brine a turkey (for roasting) for the first time - mostly to prove a point to my father who swears it won't work - with my parents coming to visit us for Thanksgiving this year.

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

For those that use conventional smoke, what kind of wood or chips do you use for different meats?

I usually go heavier smoke woods (mesquite or hickory) for my beef and pork. For chicken-pecan and fish/seafood-fruit woods (apple, cherry)

My go-to's:

Brisket: Bourbon-soaked oak chips (I was on a mesquite kick for a while, mostly because I soured on the Jack Daniels oak chips, but I found a great local brand of the bourbon-soaked oaks and they're awesome)

Pork: Peach (if you can't find it Apple or any other fruitwood will suffice, but especially for butt and shoulder, you want peach wood if you can find it - and the Lowe's out on the west coast carry it - online if not in the store)

Salmon: Apple (I like to soak them in apple cider for a couple days before use though, adds a bit more complexity of flavor and adds a nice sweetness that allows you to add some spice so your cured salmon isn't just a salty-sweet bomb)

Chicken: Mesquite (I've played around with others, but it gives an easier smoke to control - i.e. not "overly smoky") with a cheap lager (I usually just use a couple oil cans of Fosters) in the water pan.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrDrew said:

I'm from CA, so I like oak for beef.

My brotha!  But yeah, next time you're "back home" check around for bourbon-soaked oak chips - there's a brand based out of SLO and multiple ones out of Santa Barbara County (pretty sure one is straight out of Santa Maria and I'd heard tell that Firestone/Foley has their own version for sale at their tasting rooms).  In the meantime, you can just do it yourself by soaking your chips about a week ahead of time (I've had better results when I soaked and let them dry then resoaking with water to smoke) in some cheap bourbon like a fifth of Beam.

9 minutes ago, The LBC said:

My brotha!  But yeah, next time you're "back home" check around for bourbon-soaked oak chips - there's a brand based out of SLO and multiple ones out of Santa Barbara County (pretty sure one is straight out of Santa Maria and I'd heard tell that Firestone/Foley has their own version for sale at their tasting rooms).  In the meantime, you can just do it yourself by soaking your chips about a week ahead of time (I've had better results when I soaked and let them dry then resoaking with water to smoke) in some cheap bourbon like a fifth of Beam.

That area you're talking about, that's whee I moved here from, and where I go when I'm in CA. I need to find out if they do pellets. I'll have to have a friend check when they go by Firestone next.

39 minutes ago, tntitans4life17 said:

Where do you buy your pellets around here @MrDrew?  I got my first bag just off of Amazon and was pleased but looking for some place local.

The shop down here sells Lumber Jack pellets, and I've like them more than any brand. They're actually made from the wood that it says on the bag. Traeger pellets are one kind of wood, with oils from whatever wood it says on the bag to flavor it. 

I know there's a few BBQ shops in the Denver area, but I haven't actually been to any of them. If you head south, check out Colorado BBQ Outfitters. That's where I get all of my stuff. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

The shop down here sells Lumber Jack pellets, and I've like them more than any brand. They're actually made from the wood that it says on the bag. Traeger pellets are one kind of wood, with oils from whatever wood it says on the bag to flavor it. 

I know there's a few BBQ shops in the Denver area, but I haven't actually been to any of them. If you head south, check out Colorado BBQ Outfitters. That's where I get all of my stuff. 

Honestly, my suggestion @tntitans4life17 is find a brand you like and then just buy through Amazon.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, The LBC said:

You want to expand on the "other crap" and maybe proportions garlic and pepper (and water) nad maybe shoot a brother a PM?  I'm going to brine a turkey (for roasting) for the first time - mostly to prove a point to my father who swears it won't work - with my parents coming to visit us for Thanksgiving this year.

I kind of eyeball the proportions, and it probably changes just a little every year based on what I have in my cupboard.

My guess on my best (last years) mix:

2 parts coarse salt (Id say a cup for a smaller bird and two cups for a 20+)

1 part brown sugar

Half a bag of cranberries

Entire orange peel, chopped up

Chopped up apple, or a splash of apple cider 

Tablespoon of dehydrated garlic

Palm full of Juniper berries (usually find them dried in the seasoning aisle) 

Sage and Rosemary to taste.

I think that was it.

For those of you who haven’t brined a turkey, you bring all of that to boil in a gallon of water and stir it until the salt is all dissolved.

Then  you let it sit to cool and add another gallon of water, or just mix in another gallon of ice water to help cool faster. Drown your bird in there for a day or two.

• Like 2