If Trevor Lawrence is just as bad next year where would he start to rank among all-time busts?

Bolts223

He'd definitely be one of the bigger busts in modern draft history because everyone knew that he was essentially a lock to go #1 since he was in HS. I have some faith that Pederson can help him take a step forward like he did with Wentz though.

2 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

Question in the title

I also think that Herbert's early success has put a lot more pressure on coaches, GM's, and top QB prospects. Herbert is basically what Lawrence was supposed to be and is basically the standard of what an elite QB should look like early on in their career. 

guy walked into about as big of a disaster as any rookie QB ever has. i'm honestly treating this upcoming season as his rookie year and going from there. i'd say he gets at least this year *and* the next before i start throwing the "bust" label around unless he's just otherworldly bad this year, which i do not expect.

• Like 13

No. It would only be his first 2 years.

Too many of you are so quick to call a QB a bust after 1 bad season and just as quick to label them a "franchise QB" after 1 good one. How many more examples of Shaub, Foles, Wentz, Tannehill, Cousins, Winston, Mayfield, Flacco, Cam, Dalton, etc do you people need to see before you start realizing that it takes more than a year or two to judge a QB --(good or bad).

• Like 1

If he does bust, and I’m not saying he is even looking likely to at the moment, but if he does; one of the greatest ever. The absolute certainty that most fans had with him being a star was shared with only a few prospects in recent history.

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I also think that Herbert's early success has put a lot more pressure on coaches, GM's, and top QB prospects. Herbert is basically what Lawrence was supposed to be and is basically the standard of what an elite QB should look like early on in their career. 

9 hours ago, -Hope- said:

guy walked into about as big of a disaster as any rookie QB ever has. i'm honestly treating this upcoming season as his rookie year and going from there. i'd say he gets at least this year *and* the next before i start throwing the "bust" label around unless he's just otherworldly bad this year, which i do not expect.

To be fair it doesn't help that across the division, Davis Mills walked into a situation many expected to be even worse than the Jaguars going into last season, and at least had some semblance of encouraging play. I get the supporting cast argument but Trevor Lawrence also played bad last year and I think that gets lost a lot when people have these discussions about him

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 2

guy walked into about as big of a disaster as any rookie QB ever has.

Not Starting Baker Mayfield GIF by Progressive

i'm honestly treating this upcoming season as his rookie year and going from there. i'd say he gets at least this year *and* the next before i start throwing the "bust" label around unless he's just otherworldly bad this year, which i do not expect.

I'm fine with this entire take. However, it's always been amusing to me who does and does not get the benefit of the doubt after 2-3 years.

*Note*

I've always been a bit skeptical of Baker, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but the situations are borderline identical.

Inept and meddling ownership: Check

Historically awful HC with major issues: Check

AWFUL to nonexistent core/surrounding roster: Check

Probably top 5. This isn't your average number 1 overall pick. Trevor Lawrence has been anointed the best thing since sliced bread since he was in high school. He then backed all that up from day 1 in college. If he makes no improvement next year, he's around the Russell/Leaf tier, especially considering that Lawrence has no severe off-field hinderances like Leaf or Russell did (that we know of, at least).

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

To be fair it doesn't help that across the division, Davis Mills walked into a situation many expected to be even worse than the Jaguars going into last season, and at least had some semblance of encouraging play. I get the supporting cast argument but Trevor Lawrence also played bad last year and I think that gets lost a lot when people have these discussions about him

You’re not wrong, but in all fairness, Urban Meyer was infinitely worse than anyone expected…

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

You’re not wrong, but in all fairness, Urban Meyer was infinitely worse than anyone expected…

True. Dave Culley - from a pure on-field coaching perspective, though -wasn't far behind

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2021/09/20/texans-browns-david-culley-fourth-down-decision 

Early in the second quarter, Houston was faced with a third-and-15 from its own 38 yard line. Taylor found Brandin Cooks for a 13-yard gain, setting up fourth-and-2 from the Cleveland 49. But the Texans were thrown a potential lifeline. Browns defensive end Takk McKinley had jumped offsides on the play, meaning the Texans could have another shot at picking up the first on a third-and-10, or they could decline the penalty and roll the dice on fourth-and-2 from midfield. Culley picked a shocking third option. He declined the penalty—and then punted. It went for a touchback

All time lmao

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

True. Dave Culley - from a pure on-field coaching perspective, though -wasn't far behind

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2021/09/20/texans-browns-david-culley-fourth-down-decision 

All time lmao

I watched the Browns back in 2012 lose to the Colts (I watched this in person) 17-13 and punt from the Colts 41 yard line with 6:38 left in the game, in the 4th Quarter 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=321021011

...AND THEY CALLED A TIMEOUT FIRST.

So with the game on the line needing a TD to win, after recovering/forcing a fumble, they punted the ball 21 yards after calling a Timeout...when they were 1-6 and had nothing to lose...great stuff. 

• Like 1