Eagles stop ignoring the secondary and sign Bradberry away from the Giants

EaglesPeteC

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

I think he’ll be better than Nelson, but I agree obviously we gotta see Gannon do some stuff differently this year including more disguising coverages and not having the corners playing so far off.

And the DT that lines up next to Hargrave/Milton needs to not just be a double block occupier, otherwise we are going to waste Jordan Davis career and Fletcher Cox's final year in Philly. THose 2 need to get upfield.

4 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Super duper pumped about this acquisition. Was treating a patient when I saw the news go by on the bottom line ticker on ESPN. Mood went from ho-hum to OMG I AM SO HAPPY LET'S EXERCISE BRO.  Bradberry and Slay...YEEEEESH!!!

Doctor Don? Nurse Don? EMT Don? Fireman Don?

10 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Definitely looks better on paper, but I don't think it's much of a needle mover either. If the Cowboys signed Bradberry, I wouldn't be thinking "Crap, the Cowboys just got a lot better". Good signing, but I'm not positive he'll actually be better than Steven Nelson because I don't really trust Gannon as a coordinator unless we play bad QBs.

Why don't you trust him? Our personnel last year was sus af . He actually has great pieces now

Just now, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Why don't you trust him? Our personnel last year was sus af . He actually has great pieces now

Did you watch our games against good QB? All of them completed 80% of their passes. All of them.

Edited by Jeezla

7 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

And the DT that lines up next to Hargrave/Milton needs to not just be a double block occupier, otherwise we are going to waste Jordan Davis career and Fletcher Cox's final year in Philly. THose 2 need to get upfield.

I’d like to see more stunts. The lack of them last year was frustrating. Jordan Davis being the wall on stunts could free up other guys to loop for sacks. We just need to be more creative in general on defense this year…. upfront and on the back end. I liked that Gannon started doing some things differently down the stretch like playing a lot more man, but it came when we only had to face bad QBs and not the greatest of WRs for the most part. Jordan Davis is the least of my worries this year. He’s mainly gonna be in their for run defense year 1 to lighten the burden on Cox and even Hargrave who played the 0 and 1 tech. I’m expecting him to learn and develop pass rush as a rookie behind 2 guys who know how to pass rush, but I’m not expecting him in on a bunch of pass rush downs. Really I just want his weight to be in the right range and conditioning to be as strong as it can be, cause he’s probably gonna hit that rookie wall sometime in the 2nd half of the season and earlier rather than later if he’s not at a better weight. The great thing for him is that we have 3 other DTs who will be getting me a good amount of snaps, so he shouldn’t be overworked as a rookie.

22 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Yes but that was with that squad. We added like 5 legit pieces and supposedly the right pieces so be able to actually execute his scheme

Are you expecting Jordan Davis to get DROY? I'm not expecting much from a rookie DT who has never had more than 2.5 sacks or 5.5 TFL in a season, no matter how great his combine was or how easy it is to say "He makes the scheme work". I expect him to have good run D, and that's about it. I like Nakobe Dean, but do I think rookie Nakobe Dean and White suddenly make our LB's "good"? Or that not having Jordan Davis was holding them back? No. I don't trust Kyzir White at all, and Dean is going to be a rookie making rookie mistakes who also needs to prove he can stay healthy. White is basically a poor mans Nakobe.

Reddick is a nice add, but we'll see how he's used. Bradberry is just taller Steven Nelson until I see otherwise.

We are better on paper, but so much of us being better is this hypothetical that Gannon needed Jordan Davis to make the scheme work. Pretty odd scheme if there is only 1 guy who can make it work, and he's a rookie DT who played half the snaps in college and will prob only play 25% of the snaps as rookie.

The only certainty is that Gannon was absolute crap against good QB's last year. Arguably the worst DC in the entire league when it came to scheming against above average or better QB's. I don't think Reddick + Bradberry + Jordan Davis + Nakobe + Kyzir changes that, all that much. And we still have Derek Barnett on the team to get us dumb penalties on 3rd and long.

Edited by Jeezla

5 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

I can't really compare last year's def to this year's. We added a lot of great pieces and it's year 2 of the system. As someone posted in the other thread from that Twitter guy that worked for the eagles .. explained why all these pieces will be better off now with the additions

Yeah, he has better talent now, so the onus is on Gannon. Our ceiling as a team will be determined by what kind of jump he and Hurts take this year. Roseman and company gave both sides of the ball an upgrade, so now it’s on them.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Definitely looks better on paper, but I don't think it's much of a needle mover either. If the Cowboys signed Bradberry, I wouldn't be thinking "Crap, the Cowboys just got a lot better". Good signing, but I'm not positive he'll actually be better than Steven Nelson because I don't really trust Gannon as a coordinator unless we play bad QBs.

Just the fact that they won’t have to designate a safety to constantly help that 2nd corner should be an improvement, especially when you follow the dominoes that the improved pass rush/Dline should provide.

6 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Are you expecting Jordan Davis to get DROY?

No lol. His impact on the defense won't be easily demonstrated by flash plays/raw stats like  Micah Parsons last year. 

7 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

We are better on paper, but so much of us being better is this hypothetical that Gannon needed Jordan Davis to make the scheme work. Pretty odd scheme if there is only 1 guy who can make it work, and he's a rookie DT who played half the snaps in college and will prob only play 25% of the snaps as rookie.

Here you go. He explains this stuff better than I could as he has a way better understanding of our scheme.

1 minute ago, Kiltman said:

Just the fact that they won’t have to designate a safety to constantly help that 2nd corner should be an improvement, especially when you follow the dominoes that the improved pass rush/Dline should provide.

I think the pass rush will be about the same. Reddick is a positive add, but bringing Barnett back + Old Man Graham coming back from major injury = less snaps for Josh Sweat, our 2nd best pass rusher after Reddick. I hope I'm wrong and Sweat is out there more than Graham and Barnett, but I bet Graham and Barnett start while Reddick does that hybrid LB role. Going to be gross if Gannon has Reddick dropping into coverage a bunch instead of just going after the QB.

6 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Here you go. He explains this stuff better than I could as he has a way better understanding of our scheme.

no chance in hell I'm reading all that, and I don't care what Honest NFL says about our scheme, I care about what I see Gannon doing during game days with my own eyes. And what I saw him doing last year made me want us to fire him every week we weren't playing Daniel jones or lesser caliber QB's.

Edited by Jeezla