Draft Prospects?

ET80

Just now, Apollo Stallion said:

I just hope the Browns or Giants take him at 1 or 2 or trade the pick to someone who will.  We already get to face Fournette, and Henry/Murray twice a year, we don't need the Colts adding Barkley into the mix.  Btw - Reason #26 the Texan better go get a real strong safety

I'm very confident the Giants will. They haven't had a decent run game since Tiki Barber in the early 00s, and another year of Orleans Darkwa isn't going to get the job done...

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Mike Mayock “someone will Taylor thier offense around Jackson, kind of like what Houston did last year. They started Tom savage and then after 5 or 6 weeks it wasn’t working and they made the switch”

no Mike, it was 2 quarters. 

I don't disagree with the take on Jackson, but it's a good reminder the next time someone online defers to "the professionals" opinions holding more value than informed hardcore fans.  I don't pretend to be able to spout off team needs, draft history, or contracts 32 teams deep without an open laptap, but when it comes to the Texans I am supremely confident that most of us here are vastly more qualified than 95% of the non-local media when it comes to referencing almost any Texans topic. 95% of what you hear on radio/TV is just "show prep" that is churned out from a central provider with the talking heads simply adding some flavor around some research compiled by entry level content aggregators.   Seriously folks, no real scout is giving away his real research or opinions (his livelihood) for free to some jabroni who has a press pass to Indy but rather they dole out some half-truths akin to poker table talk that reporters treat as fact.

As for the draftniks, I generally find Mayock to be in the middle to back end of the pack primarily because he is shameless sunshine pumper who's purpose much like the NFL Network he works for is just a hype mechanism, rarely providing insights that go farther than how "great" everyone is. People don't seem to recognize the PR machines built behind so many of these QBs or hold these "analysts" accountable for how easily they fall for it every year.  Just looking at Mayock alone, this is a guy who touted Sanchez over Stafford, Gabbert over Newton, Manziel over Bridgewater and so on down the line.  Ever since ESPN started trying to turn Kiper/McShay "Latest 3.0" Big Board/Mock "reveals" into bi-weekly "events" it has become completely contrived as they try to manufacture "movement" by sandbagging and clearly collude to ensure differing takes such as Kiper jacking Allen up to #1. 

As a post script to Orlando Brown's "breathing" excuse for putting up 14 reps as a 345 lb o-lineman, UCF LB Shaquim Griffin just put up 20 WITH ONE HAND!  Already preparing myself for all the :15 olympic style tear-jerker human interest stories on Griffin who without a doubt is going to generate the biggest applause when he's picked in Dallas. Even my cynical, contrarian butt is going to be rooting for this guy especially in this process that is so full of guys who won genetic lotteries but lack the drive, character, and work ethic it takes (or take shortcuts like Brian Cushing). 

BTW - read this dude's letter to GMs if you want to know what this guy is all about - https://www.theplayerstribune.com/shaquem-griffin-ucf-nfl-draft-letter-to-general-managers/ 

So the two lineman I really came away liking are Braden Smith (have for a while) and Wyatt Teller. Also wouldn't mind Noteboom.

I also really like Frank Ragnow (I was an am on board with Daniels but there is no way he is there anymore).

Brian O'Neill is obviously intriguing from a physical stand point. But his senior bowl week scares the crap out of me.

Just want to put this out there now. I want D'Shawn Hand badly. I'm kind of hoping he doesn't do too great at the combine and jump up boards. But I still think talent wise already he should be a 1st round pick. Overshadowed a bit in Bama but he is going to be a great 3-4DE. Would be a steal for us in round 3 even if for whatever reason he is rated as a 4th like I've seen.

Time to eliminate any talk of JT Barrett as Watson's backup.  Unlike Lamar Jackson who just has a few rough edges, this dude has no business playing QB at the next level.  It looked like they let someone's 8th grade little kid brother out there every time he took the ball in the drills.   I'm the first to say that top end arm strength is massively overrated especially the deep show off stuff like Josh Allen throwing 70 yard bombs (if you recall we had a punter who could throw 75).  It's way more important to be accurate on the short-mid range stuff with zip on the sideline routes.  JT Barrett looked like a softball player amongst 95+ mph hurlers out there today.  The dude cannot throw a a basic 10 yard out as not only are they painfully slow, he threw everyone I saw behind the WR which are pick 6's in the NFL.  Some guys are just built for college football and this guy belongs in the Eric Crouch, Charlie Ward, Pat White bunch and is more Tajh Boyd than Deshaun Watson. BTW - Luke Falk was even worse. 

A guy who continues to impress is Nic Shimonek.  I think he's moved clearly into a day 3 spot and part of me thinks he's got a great makeup for a backup considering he got alot of practice being a #2 behind some pretty good QBs at Tech and always answered the bell until he finally stuck last year and put up a pretty good season.  Dude can make all the throws, is accurate, and is way more athletic than he gets credit for.  I don't think he's a high upside guy to groom for a starter, but rather a guy you can confidently keep as a #2, Matt Moore type that's going to be good in the QB room.  I know this sounds like the same things I complained about when Kubiak picked TJ Yates essentially with the same idea in mond, but TJ Yates simply doesn't have an NFL arm while Shimonek does. We could do much worse than spending one of our 6th rounders on Shimonek, but if you look around the league there seems to be a ton of teams with empty backup Qb spots, so he could go pretty early on day 3 and frankly I think he'll provide as much value as Mason Rudolph does without burning a day 2 pick to get him.    

So here are some of the DBs I'm interested in watching today

Tony Brown
Anthony Averett
Tarvarus McFadden
Quenton Meeks
Levi Wallace (yes as you can see I want to see what all the Bama CB's can do. Many have disappointed as the high picks they were but generally have been starter quality or at least someone serviceable enough for 30 snaps a game)

Quin Blanding
Terrell Edmunds
Deshon Elliot
Natrell Jamerson

There are other interesting ones but these are the guys I really am looking at

19 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Time to eliminate any talk of JT Barrett as Watson's backup. 

Yeah, I'm off that wagon for good now. I always figured there was a foundation to work from, but he's not good fundamentally and lacks any sort of physical base to build off of. Maybe a UDFA/PS guy once the whole draft process is over, but don't burn a draft pick on those guy.

20 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

A guy who continues to impress is Nic Shimonek. 

I don't hate this idea - could be that groomed guy in the 3 spot on the roster, behind whatever vet we bring in as the 2. 

2 hours ago, mse326 said:

Quin Blanding

He's an interesting name - production was really good, but never looked like an explosive athlete. His numbers will be an interesting story, because he doesn't look like a starting caliber S due to his lack of athleticism. This being said, he's probably worthy of taking Lonnie Ballentine's spot in the rotation.

11 hours ago, mse326 said:

So here are some of the DBs I'm interested in watching today

Tony Brown
Anthony Averett
Tarvarus McFadden
Quenton Meeks
Levi Wallace (yes as you can see I want to see what all the Bama CB's can do. Many have disappointed as the high picks they were but generally have been starter quality or at least someone serviceable enough for 30 snaps a game)

Quin Blanding
Terrell Edmunds
Deshon Elliot
Natrell Jamerson

There are other interesting ones but these are the guys I really am looking at

Mixed bag. But I am now fully on the Terrell Edmunds hype train. I liked him before the combine as a player but thought his athleticism was only so-so. I was wrong on that. He is definitely my top draft target for our first 3rd round pick.

Glad Tony Brown tested as well as he did. He seems to have all the tools. Don't know if it was mental, motor, or what but he was inconsistent at Bama. Sometimes looked like a great slot CB, other times getting beat pretty easily. I think whether you take him depends on your interviews with him so we'll never know for sure. Wouldn't be upset with him though. Averett tested better than I thought athletically but didn't look great in drills. Don't know if he is generally that stiff or if it was nerves. McFadden I can't get a good read on. Seems more athletic on film than in shorts. But did get beat a little often as well. But you obviously aren't getting a flawless DB in the 3rd or later anyway. I still wouldn't mind him either based on tape. Levi Wallace really disappointed me he is basically off my board now. Really wanted to see Meeks run cause I'm not sure if he is a CB or safety transition candidate. I always get nervous when healthy guys decide not to run but do the drills. Red flag that they are hiding something.

Quin Blanding tested about what was expected which makes me nervous. Shows there really isn't any untapped athletic ability there. Elliot really disappointed me. Did like what I saw from Jamerson.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got any info on Louisville T Geron Christian? I was looking at WF on their T prospects, and they have Christian compared to Duane Brown - incredibly raw, yet a guy you can build up to a potential franchise T. Should be around in the 3rd, too. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think Gaine is going to go with the highest 2018 impact guys with our 3rd rounds. Like a RB and a TE, cause at the point in the draft you can still find guys that can come in from day 1 and contribute. Then you can take a flyer on a OT prospect that has the tools alla Davenport last year 

5 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

I think Gaine is going to go with the highest 2018 impact guys with our 3rd rounds. Like a RB and a TE, cause at the point in the draft you can still find guys that can come in from day 1 and contribute. Then you can take a flyer on a OT prospect that has the tools alla Davenport last year 

I disagree. I don't think he is drafting for this year at all really. He'll be going basically straight BPA.

One guy I'm really warming up to is Tarvarius Moore. I think he is the perfect mix of BPA and 2018 impact for us.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

I disagree. I don't think he is drafting for this year at all really. He'll be going basically straight BPA.

One guy I'm really warming up to is Tarvarius Moore. I think he is the perfect mix of BPA and 2018 impact for us.

Bingo!  Him or Troy Apke....

Archived