Draft Prospects?

ET80

13 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

just looking around today and 14 reps is the lowest point, but if you look at guys with 35 inches or longer and none of them have done over 19

I honestly see bench press reps as a false flag - it's a cool test I guess, but not great for what they're testing for, which is functional strength. I think deadlifts or squats would be a better measure as to how much functional strength these guys have - actual strength needed to play football, lower body strength needed to drive and push guys around.

This being said, being this unprepared is akin to not studying basic math for the SAT. You know you'll have to do it, so there's no excuse if you bomb it.

Guys on the OL I like

Skyler Phillips RG - Good strength, great pass blocker, can get overextended in the run game. Solid all-around player. OB got to coach him at the senior bowl

Braden Smith RG - He might work himself into rd 2, but would be a great pick in rd 3. Good size, strength, and athleticism.

Austin Corbett - LT/RT This guy would be a steal in rd 3 or 4. I don't care what his profile says, the guy is a brute. Plays with good pad levels, plays very strong, always looking to hit someone, great run blocker, very good pass blocker and seems to understand blocking schemes. I would love to see him there for us in 3 or 4.

Taylor Hearn - LG from Clemson. He allowed only one sack, two hits, and six hurries, according to Pro Football Focus this past year. He played with Watson in 2016, so he should be able to pick up our offense quickly. Reviews are mixed with him, but I like what I see.

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Barkley has blown up at the combine. His numbers are unreal for a guy that was already a top 5 player. If I’m cleveland I might take him at 1 

They'd set the place on fire if they passed on a QB at 1, but I actually agree. Barkley is going to be a Todd Gurley/Zeke Elliott type back from day one, Cleveland has a great OL for him, and they can take the last man standing amongst the top 4 (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen) with our pick. 

It's sad - the one time they shouldn't take a QB at 1 is the time they will take a QB at 1.

8 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I honestly see bench press reps as a false flag - it's a cool test I guess, but not great for what they're testing for, which is functional strength. I think deadlifts or squats would be a better measure as to how much functional strength these guys have - actual strength needed to play football, lower body strength needed to drive and push guys around.

This being said, being this unprepared is akin to not studying basic math for the SAT. You know you'll have to do it, so there's no excuse if you bomb it.

McGlinchey is 6' 8" and did 27 reps.  Kolton Miller is 6' 9" and did 24.  The guy who failed this test worse than Orlando Brown is his agent who just let his client be "the story" of the combine and I suspect this one's going to hurt more than Andre Smith's topless man-boob dash did.  Many of the long-armed guys DNP'd the bench and considering what happened to Billy Price (torn pec) skipping it if he's not ready is easily justified.  He still has the Pro Day to try to justify his "breathing" excuse on the bench, but his lack of athleticism sticks out like a sore thumb when you couple his horrific 2+ second split in the first 10, worst vert and broad jumps, and also looking clueless in the drills (slow, weak, and stupid is no way to go thru like, son).   I know tackles don't require as much of a punch and won't be pulling and needing to get to the 2nd level as much as guards, but it's something the Texans need to be paying attention to as XSF's ridiculous lack of punch got him destroyed, he never seemed to learn from his mistakes, and once he got fat he couldn't get to the 2nd level anymore.

If we think he has the character to work hard to get in shape and don't confirm red flags in his film, we certainly showed with Brandon Brooks that a red shirt year can pay off, but I'm not sure we're in a position to be drafting o-lineman that can't contribute next year.  Rick Smith's record with draft stock droppers has not been good as guys like Nix III, Strong, and Montgomery clearly fell for a reason and still am not seeing what people see in D'Onta Foreman's "promising" 3 or 4 good plays last year considering true "steals" Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara were the RB's taken before him in the 3rd.

BTW - He'll be long-gone by the time we pick, but the flip side of this seems to be UT's Connor Williams who when healthy may be a great athlete, but every time I've watched him, the announcers spent pre-game and 1st quarter telling us how great he is, then by the second half were trying to explain away all the times he looked awful.    The situation reminds me of the A&M o-lineman who got so much hype after Joekel like Ifedi, Ogbuehi, Matthews, who I liked until A&M moved them to LT and thought surely NFL scouts are smart enough to see them as G's or maybe RT's and draft accordingly.  The Jags, Seahawks, and Bengals all wrecked their offensive lines counting on these guys to be LT's and Jake was the worst tackle in football as a rookie (and while improved, never should have gone ahead of T. Lewan and Z. Martin). If I didn't know better, I'd think half of the hype Williams has gotten is because people confuse him with Mack Brown era Mike Williams who became a #4 overall pick (that also had no business playing LT in the NFL). 

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

They'd set the place on fire if they passed on a QB at 1, but I actually agree. Barkley is going to be a Todd Gurley/Zeke Elliott type back from day one, Cleveland has a great OL for him, and they can take the last man standing amongst the top 4 (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen) with our pick. 

It's sad - the one time they shouldn't take a QB at 1 is the time they will take a QB at 1.

It’s not even last man standings, there would be at least 2 of the 4 left. 

28 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I just hope the Browns or Giants take him at 1 or 2 or trade the pick to someone who will.  We already get to face Fournette, and Henry/Murray twice a year, we don't need the Colts adding Barkley into the mix.  Btw - Reason #26 the Texan better go get a real strong safety

Archived