2022 Around league

dll2000

58 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Its not Without Consequence, it just depends when you want to pay the consequence (and in reality they are doing that right now, these moves are just to get to even at this point)

Correct. I meant to say without immediate consequence, which isn’t entirely true either, but their immediate consequences haven’t been very big IMO, and the cap has been an issue for them for like 5 seasons now. It didn’t prevent them from adding Mathieu and Maye last offseason and they were something like $85M over the cap in February 2022. They haven’t had to cut anyone actually worth keeping this offseason despite being $50M over the cap a few days ago, and the cap won’t be something that prevents them from paying Derek Carr $40M+ annually this offseason either from what I can gather. It’s less of a restriction and more of an accounting annoyance. 

The cap in football isn’t really a “cap” so maybe my issue is more in the name than anything else. The NHL has a hard cap. If the NFL truly wants a level financial playing field they should shift to something more like that. I don’t think the owners with the most influence (Jones and Kraft come immediately to mind) want a hard cap though, because it gives them a competitive advantage,  and if they don’t want one it’s not happening. 

• Like 1

I saw the tweet about Webb retiring earlier and my immediate though was to try and get him here as an assistant QB coach…I would put money on him being an HC within the next 5-8 years…some of the stories of how detailed he is and how much he help Josh Allen & even Daniel Jones this year as a backup are legendary…he could be the next Kevin O’Connell type of riser.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2023 at 10:55 AM, AZBearsFan said:

Correct. I meant to say without immediate consequence, which isn’t entirely true either, but their immediate consequences haven’t been very big IMO, and the cap has been an issue for them for like 5 seasons now. It didn’t prevent them from adding Mathieu and Maye last offseason and they were something like $85M over the cap in February 2022. They haven’t had to cut anyone actually worth keeping this offseason despite being $50M over the cap a few days ago, and the cap won’t be something that prevents them from paying Derek Carr $40M+ annually this offseason either from what I can gather. It’s less of a restriction and more of an accounting annoyance. 

The cap in football isn’t really a “cap” so maybe my issue is more in the name than anything else. The NHL has a hard cap. If the NFL truly wants a level financial playing field they should shift to something more like that. I don’t think the owners with the most influence (Jones and Kraft come immediately to mind) want a hard cap though, because it gives them a competitive advantage,  and if they don’t want one it’s not happening. 

The NFL has a hard cap, there is no luxury tax, teams MUST be below the cap by the start of the league year.  NO has just kept kicking the can down the road, knowing that the cap is going to continue to go up.  At some point that will come back to bite them.  But that is their method of cap management, just as it was the Bears during Pace's time here (courtesy of Josh Lucas).  The Rams have also backed themselves into a corner as well.  

56 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The NFL has a hard cap, there is no luxury tax, teams MUST be below the cap by the start of the league year.  NO has just kept kicking the can down the road, knowing that the cap is going to continue to go up.  At some point that will come back to bite them.  But that is their method of cap management, just as it was the Bears during Pace's time here (courtesy of Josh Lucas).  The Rams have also backed themselves into a corner as well.  

What I was trying to say is that the NFL’s cap has far more flexibility to it than the NHL’s cap that allow for manipulation. The NHL doesn’t allow for renegotiation of contracts before their final season or adding void years that let teams use fake money to overspend relative to the cap number. It’s far better for competitive balance.

Look at the gymnastics the Rangers are doing right now to try to make room to possibly trade for Patrick Kane. That doesn’t happen in the NFL because teams can just adjust guys’ existing contracts to put on additional years they know that player won’t be there and for which they’ll never actually have to pay a penny on to be able to do pretty much whatever they want personnel-wise at any point. The dynasty era Blackhawks had to consistently trade away really good players because they aren’t allowed to do what the Saints do. To me, THAT is a hard cap. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

What I was trying to say is that the NFL’s cap has far more flexibility to it than the NHL’s cap that allow for manipulation. The NHL doesn’t allow for renegotiation of contracts before their final season or adding void years that let teams use fake money to overspend relative to the cap number. It’s far better for competitive balance.

Look at the gymnastics the Rangers are doing right now to try to make room to possibly trade for Patrick Kane. That doesn’t happen in the NFL because teams can just adjust guys’ existing contracts to put on additional years they know that player won’t be there and for which they’ll never actually have to pay a penny on to be able to do pretty much whatever they want personnel-wise at any point. The dynasty era Blackhawks had to consistently trade away really good players because they aren’t allowed to do what the Saints do. To me, THAT is a hard cap. 

You're a tad incorrect here, what happens is teams convert salary to bonus, and pay it out immediately, they spend the money, but bc it's structured as a bonus they can amortize it out the length of the contract.  But the money has been paid, it's just the structure that determines the cap hit.  For instance, if Rodgers plays for the Pack this year, he will count ~$50M towards the cap.  If he's traded it becomes ~$30M, if he retires or is cut its $99M.  Now yes, when you do a restructure you can add void years, just to lengthen the contract to lessen the cap hit per year, but the bill always comes due.  

8 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You're a tad incorrect here, what happens is teams convert salary to bonus, and pay it out immediately, they spend the money, but bc it's structured as a bonus they can amortize it out the length of the contract.  But the money has been paid, it's just the structure that determines the cap hit.  For instance, if Rodgers plays for the Pack this year, he will count ~$50M towards the cap.  If he's traded it becomes ~$30M, if he retires or is cut its $99M.  Now yes, when you do a restructure you can add void years, just to lengthen the contract to lessen the cap hit per year, but the bill always comes due.  

Right - you can manipulate the present day cap multiple ways through restructures or dummy year extensions with non-guaranteed years the player will never see, and yes, that bill eventually comes due on the restructures. My point was that a hard cap like the one the NHL has doesn’t let you do any of those things, and that calling the NFL’s cap a “hard cap” is fundamentally inaccurate when almost everything about the number teams are accounting for in present day is entirely fluid. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Our project paid off for someone else.  I can see same thing happening with Robinson.

Hicks paid off for us.  Such is way in NFL.  

SO GLAD we let an ascending RRH walk in 2021 so that we could keep Jimmy Graham and sign Andy Dalton as a UFA… 

• Like 4

On 2/26/2023 at 12:42 PM, AZBearsFan said:

SO GLAD we let an ascending RRH walk in 2021 so that we could keep Jimmy Graham and sign Andy Dalton as a UFA… 

You remember the malaise and depression across Bears fandom when Dalton was signed?  LOL

You could feel it.  

Then the high of the Fields draft selection.  

Then back down again a bit when Dalton was announced as QB1 anyway.