2022 Around league

dll2000

On 7/8/2022 at 8:36 AM, abstract_thought said:

They've needed to draft a QB for half a decade it seems.

To be fair to them, both Mayfield and Bridgewater were reasonable. They're low-level NFL starters. But Darnold was a disaster waiting to happen. It amazes me how hesitant NFL teams are to give up on highly-drafted players.

Rookie contracts would be my guess. But I agree. Often times you can just tell if a QB has 'it' or he doesn't. If he doesn't then let it go before it's too late. Most GMs won't do that, for different reasons. But that's why I give mad props to Kiem for drafting Rosen in the 1st and then immediately putting his pride aside and admitting he was wrong and moving on before it was too late.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2022 at 7:36 AM, abstract_thought said:

They've needed to draft a QB for half a decade it seems.

To be fair to them, both Mayfield and Bridgewater were reasonable. They're low-level NFL starters. But Darnold was a disaster waiting to happen. It amazes me how hesitant NFL teams are to give up on highly-drafted players.

Three reasons;

1) They still believe their initial scouting opinion.

2) They suspect failure is not due to player, but situation and coaching.

3) They believe their own coaching can fix whatever is problem.

Like a gambler who only remembers mostly their wins and not losses, they fixate on all times that was true for them and not all times it wasn’t.  

• Like 2

Just now, dll2000 said:

Three reasons;

1) They still believe their initial scouting opinion.

2) They suspect failure is not due to player, but situation and coaching.

3) They believe their own coaching can fix whatever is problem.

Like a gambler who only remembers mostly their wins and not losses, they fixate on all times that was true for them and not all times it wasn’t.  

That was supposed to be a colon.   

Sometimes above is true.  Why you take a chance, but you should be always very wary of giving up a lot for someone someone else is desperate to be rid of no matter the talent.

Ditka said that was his number one lesson in NFL.  Don’t pick up other peoples trash.   

15 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Why you take a chance, but you should be always very wary of giving up a lot for someone someone else is desperate to be rid of no matter the talent.

This is an interesting take. I'll leave it alone though.

15 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Ditka said that was his number one lesson in NFL.  Don’t pick up other peoples trash.   

No. Just trade away an entire draft for a RB instead.

Ditka also spent most of his time in the pre-salary cap era too so it's easy to say things like this.

He is the most overrated coach in Bears history. The only reason he gets so much recognition is because of the SB win and Buddy Ryan played a bigger part in that than he did.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Ditka also spent most of his time in the pre-salary cap era too so it's easy to say things like this.

He is the most overrated coach in Bears history. The only reason he gets so much recognition is because of the SB win and Buddy Ryan played a bigger part in that than he did.

I agree with you here. Ditka is revered in Chicago sports lore but he is overrated. He is Barry Switzer and his GM acumen is nothing to take into consideration. Like at all.

On 7/14/2022 at 11:30 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Silly JAF. Williams wasn't someone else's trash... He was Ditka's. 

I was Ditka’s biggest critic in real time in early 90s when he was revered still.  I thought Williams trade was one of dumbest in history in real time.    

Doesn’t mean I can’t take something away from him.  

He said this after he retired by the way.   

Edited by dll2000
Can’t not can

Alot of good things coming out of Pitt about Pickens (the WR Poles passed up on twice).  He's likely to see day 1 action behind Claypool and Johnson. Ironically, he's battling snaps with Miller. Mitch/Miller should be interesting.

Moving Daniels to RG is a big mistake. This will be his 4th position move in 4 years (well 5 really). Damn. Atleast keep him on the left side.......but Pat Meyer is gonna Pat Meyer.

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Alot of good things coming out of Pitt about Pickens (the WR Poles passed up on twice).  He's likely to see day 1 action behind Claypool and Johnson. Ironically, he's battling snaps with Miller. Mitch/Miller should be interesting.

Moving Daniels to RG is a big mistake. This will be his 4th position move in 4 years (well 5 really). Damn. Atleast keep him on the left side.......but Pat Meyer is gonna Pat Meyer.

A lot of fans for a lot of teams wanted to take a chance on Pickens talent in 2nd. 

He will be closely watched by fans of many teams next two seasons, Green Bay and Bears fans amongst them.

Daniels has mostly played RG.  Whitehair played LG mostly.  

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

A lot of fans for a lot of teams wanted to take a chance on Pickens talent in 2nd. 

He will be closely watched by fans of many teams next two seasons, Green Bay and Bears fans amongst them.

Daniels has mostly played RG.  Whitehair played LG mostly.  

Daniels played his 1st three years at LG (mixed with a few games at C in each 2018 and 2019) and only 1 year at RG.

Daniels played LG his rookie year before being moved to center for a short time and then back to LG while swapping with Whitehair. Then Nagy tried Daniels again at center in 2019 for a short time while Whitehair played LG until Nagy swapped them again. In 2020, Daniels played LG until he tore his pec that kept him out for the season. Then Nagy moved him again last year to RG.

Constantly moving guys around like that is foolish and they wonder why there was no continuity.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Daniels played his 1st three years at LG (mixed with a few games at C in each 2018 and 2019) and only 1 year at RG.

Daniels played LG his rookie year before being moved to center for a short time and then back to LG while swapping with Whitehair. Then Nagy tried Daniels again at center in 2019 for a short time while Whitehair played LG until Nagy swapped them again. In 2020, Daniels played LG until he tore his pec that kept him out for the season. Then Nagy moved him again last year to RG.

Constantly moving guys around like that is foolish and they wonder why there was no continuity.

I have to excuse Nagy a bit here.  The line improved somewhat dramatically when they took Whitehair off center and moved him to LG.  This even with moving a below average player to center.   I would have left Whitehair at left guard too.  He was only an emergency center and that is clearly not his position.  

Daniels main problem IMO hasn’t been LG or RG it’s been a regression of fundamentals while with Bears from his rookie year.  After his rookie season I thought he was going to be a perennial pro bowler with added strength and age maturity.  I was wrong.

He got better at those again of late, but still tended to blow a lot of assignments and angles and what not.

You could attribute some of that to position change, but I suspect Daniels main problem is between his ears.  He can still be a very good player in this league if light comes on.