2022 Around league

dll2000

15 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Mac Jones played pretty well last year.   Especially given he split time in offseason and he had no dynamic playmakers to speak of.  Hunter Henry was probably their best offensive player and he missed 7 games I think.  

To say he is looking much improved over that is a nice compliment to him coming from a guy that throws compliments for his own players around like manhole covers.   

Mac threw for 3,801 yards, 22 TDs to 13 ints and a completion percentage of 68% and won 10 games.   I think Bears fans would be happy with those numbers this season.

Now I think Fields in Mac's place on Pats could have done same thing, probably even better.  But we will never know that and it doesn't take away from what Mac actually did.

The supporting cast or offseason reps (he had none with the starters) didn't make much of a difference. The big difference was that Belichick and Saban are close friends and so Belichick knew exactly what he was getting with Mac and the type of person he was ahead of time. Saban wasn't just some college coach blowing smoke up a scouts *** talking about how he's good at this and that, like a car salesmen, and not mentioning the obvious flaws and how to fix it. This valuable information put Belichick ahead of curve. He knew the flaws and how to fix it.

Now whether Mac stays consistent or not remains to be seen but it's obvious where the real difference maker was.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

The supporting cast or offseason reps (he had none with the starters) didn't make much of a difference. The big difference was that Belichick and Saban are close friends and so Belichick knew exactly what he was getting with Mac and the type of person he was ahead of time. Saban wasn't just some college coach blowing smoke up a scouts *** talking about how he's good at this and that, like a car salesmen, and not mentioning the obvious flaws and how to fix it. This valuable information put Belichick ahead of curve. He knew the flaws and how to fix it.

Now whether Mac stays consistent or not remains to be seen but it's obvious where the real difference maker was.

I don’t think it was inside knowledge in how to fix his flaws.  

I think it was more Mac was just a good player that people underestimated because of a shirtless photo showing lack of muscle definition on his torso.  So he gets hung with the ‘low ceiling’ label that people are still endlessly spouting.  I think I heard it again earlier this week from someone.  

I think Belichick truthfully says he looks better this year because, unlike Fields, he had a full year of good coaching. Because experience, good practice and good reps matter.

And unlike Fields, Mac didn’t get crap kicked out of him physically.  That matters as well.  

The rest of league should be thankful Belichick is often crappy at drafting, has to pick at end of rounds and manages to lose high picks every handful of years.  

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The athletic report DK Metcalf is getting a 3 year $72 million deal that includes $58.2 million guaranteed…quality player but man the receiver market really is crazy right now

At first I didn't think it was a bad deal since the fully GTD money was only about 55% and the initial contract gave them outs after 2 years. But then they added 2 more void years to the contract at 8 and 2M with dead hits at 10 and 2 and that changes things.

but. kinda like you alluded too, that's the going rate now for WRs.

30 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

kinda like you alluded too, that's the going rate now for WRs.

It really is, and if Mooney has another 1000+ yard season this year he’s almost surely going to be looking for a deal in that $20M+ range next offseason.

Mooney’s year 2 box score numbers (I realize they’re not everything) compare pretty well to those of Moore and McLaurin:

Mooney: 81-1055-4

Moore: 87-1175-4

McLaurin: 87-1118-4

Moore and McLaurin did that as undisputed WR1 on their teams. Mooney was our WR1 last year by default since ARob was going through the motions, but if he can repeat or exceed that performance in 2022 as our unquestioned WR1 then he should expect to cash in big time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It really is, and if Mooney has another 1000+ yard season this year he’s almost surely going to be looking for a deal in that $20M+ range next offseason.

Mooney’s year 2 box score numbers (I realize they’re not everything) compare pretty well to those of Moore and McLaurin:

Moore and McLaurin did that as undisputed WR1 on their teams. Mooney was our WR1 last year by default since ARob was going through the motions, but if he can repeat or exceed that performance in 2022 as our unquestioned WR1 then he should expect to cash in big time. 

Man, that tweet really puts things into perspective don't it? 28M APY! That's Crazy. Money wise, WRs are slowly starting to get up there with QBs per year money. Remember when the Vikes signed Cousins for about 25M APY a few years ago?

I've been on record many of times this offseason saying that I think Mooney comes close to Tyreek Hill's 3rd year numbers and as you said if he does that then not only does he cash in but we have a legit #1 for Fields for the next 5-6 years.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

One of these names do not belong…thanks Jags for resetting the market…

Mon a side note the $15 million they game to a no name off the ball LB is also probably screwing us over when it comes to Roquan as well.

Edited by Madmike90

14 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

One of these names do not belong…thanks Jags for resetting the market…

Mon a side note the $15 million they game to a no name off the ball LB is also probably screwing us over when it comes to Roquan as well.

I don't think one team can be held responsible. It's a slow snowball effect and every club contributes to it in some way shape or form. That's how the CBA is built.

The players are set to get a certain % of the the NFL earnings and as long as the NFL earnings continue to rise then so does the players asking price.

Cost of doing business.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I have to think the Darius (Shaquille?) Leonard deal is the target deal there, especially now that they’ve confirmed they’re looking at Roquan as a WLB. He’s going to want to top Leonard’s deal in AAV, guarantees or both. And if you’re the Bears, how do you not do it? Forget positional value for a minute - he’s your best player and the undisputed defensive leader playing for a defensive-minded HC on a team full of kids. 

35 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/cardinals-remove-independent-study-clause-from-kyler-murray-s-contract

It appears that the Cardinals are reversing course on the "independent study" clause in Kyler Murray's contract and are now removing it.

Might as well as left it in at this point.  But it doesn’t matter they were never going to use it.   Really stupid to put it in in the first place given how embarrassing it was.   Even if they felt it necessary.  

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I don't think one team can be held responsible. It's a slow snowball effect and every club contributes to it in some way shape or form. That's how the CBA is built.

The players are set to get a certain % of the the NFL earnings and as long as the NFL earnings continue to rise then so does the players asking price.

Cost of doing business.

Given increasing quality of WRs coming out of college you may want to hold off a bit unless guy is really, really good.  Supply of WRs is increasing.

I bet RB decreases a bit in future as a lot of top guys are going to WR now because RBs aren’t being paid.  Sky Moore is an example to me.  

Big scarcity is high quality at OT, C, edge and QB of course.  

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I have to think the Darius (Shaquille?) Leonard deal is the target deal there, especially now that they’ve confirmed they’re looking at Roquan as a WLB. He’s going to want to top Leonard’s deal in AAV, guarantees or both. And if you’re the Bears, how do you not do it? Forget positional value for a minute - he’s your best player and the undisputed defensive leader playing for a defensive-minded HC on a team full of kids. 

They will likely end up paying him because they have a lot of money to spend next year.   So why not? There are only so many good FAs that will come on market and you also want to pay in a given year. 

But reasons you wouldn’t is they aren’t trying to be legitimately competitive this year, just not embarrassing.  

When allocating resources per position ideally and in abstract ILB is probably last after RB from an analytical perspective and Poles is an analytical guy.

He has made a lot of tackles, but hasn’t had a ton of impact plays.  

Take Bears out of it because we have poor LB depth this year.  Swap Roquan in on a team with decent LBs for one of them. How does win total change?  Probably not much if at all.  IMO he is a luxury not a necessity.  It isn’t like losing Urlacher who was intergral to those teams and was a true team leader.  I don’t think Roquan is leader of that defense.

Don’t forget it’s possible that rape allegation could swing back around again.

He is a fan favorite because he is a LB in Chicago and was only first round pick of Pace era to hit so far.  

If it was me I give him a decent offer, but no monster deal.  If he sits, he sits.  He is replaceable.   If we aren’t close I would seek to trade him.

I would build my team from the Olines and Dlines and impact WRs, Ss and CBs. 

Edited by dll2000
Give not don’t give

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

That being said I would have no problem paying Mooney 20 a year.  You want guys like Mooney on your football team.  

They are multipliers in many ways.  

Agreed. Young, high work ethic guys who are also high performers are the kinds of guys teams want to build around. Getsy talked about it just yesterday with Fields, and Poles has been openly super high on Mooney since the day he was hired. Leaders don’t have to lead with words. When your best players are also your hardest workers, that’s infectious. In Mooney’s case, it also certainly helps his cause that he’s got a great rapport with (what we hope will be) our franchise QB.

Worrying about how much we’ll need to pay to retain a 25-year old budding star receiver is absolutely the kind of problem we want to have next offseason. 

• Like 1