2022 Around league

dll2000

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Cousins is the type of QB who puts you in QB purgatory. Just good enough to make you question whether or not you can find something better. But not good enough to put your team over the top.

He’s such an enigma to me, because if you look at his stat sheet it reads like he’s a borderline top 5ish QB. 4 years in MIN and he averages 4100 yards, 31 TD and 9 INT per season. Imagine a Bears QB with that! But when you watch him consistently the eye test frequently doesn’t match the way that reads. There’s always a “Yeah, but…” with Cousins. If he were a Bears QB I think we’d have the same Good Kirk / Bad Kirk convos we had with Rex and Cutler. And his not quite good enough is as good as it’s gonna get for him, right? Look at his skill position guys. Cook/JJ/Thielen is pretty close to as good as it gets league-wide. Good defense pretty much every year too.

As a Bears fan, hopefully Zimmer was not the thing holding them back.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

He’s such an enigma to me, because if you look at his stat sheet it reads like he’s a borderline top 5ish QB. 4 years in MIN and he averages 4100 yards, 31 TD and 9 INT per season. Imagine a Bears QB with that! But when you watch him consistently the eye test frequently doesn’t match the way that reads. There’s always a “Yeah, but…” with Cousins. If he were a Bears QB I think we’d have the same Good Kirk / Bad Kirk convos we had with Rex and Cutler. And his not quite good enough is as good as it’s gonna get for him, right? Look at his skill position guys. Cook/JJ/Thielen is pretty close to as good as it gets league-wide. Good defense pretty much every year too.

He is the definition of a QB who makes every single throw he should make...but very few of the one he shouldn't...just no magic to his game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Cousins isnt that good but the coaching and defense have been walking abominations the last two years. Cousins has carried Zimmer these last two years. I hope it continues this year too. Lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Cousins isnt that good but the coaching and defense have been walking abominations the last two years. Cousins has carried Zimmer these last two years. I hope it continues this year too. Lol

Zimmer is conservative to a fault and only knows how to win by playing defensive football. He’s always coached the turnovers out of QBs and limited the risks they take. He’s also not shy about putting players in purgatory.

Cousins is an OK starter who got massively overpaid and then took an unfair amount of criticism for Zimmer’s mistakes.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Zimmer is conservative to a fault and only knows how to win by playing defensive football. He’s always coached the turnovers out of QBs and limited the risks they take. He’s also not shy about putting players in purgatory.

Cousins is an OK starter who got massively overpaid and then took an unfair amount of criticism for Zimmer’s mistakes.

This is a key point. This is why I am more than happy to see Fields get to play out a 5th year option or even a franchise tag if we aren't sure he is a top 10 QB yet. Even for a guy that is 11-15, which is far better than we are use to as Bears fans, I just don't think I can be on board with the massive contracts being handed out to QBs. I like how the Browns handled Baker honestly, he is a guy that can win a good amount of games but is he a guy I feel like I can dedicate 15 to 19% of you salary cap to and still win in the postseason.

I think the risk they assumed with Watson with a fully guaranteed contract is crazy though. Love the talent, but damn. lol

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agreed. His supporting cast make him look better than he really is.

This is why stats and eye test have their own lane persay. For example, some people may look at Rodgers INT stat line and come away amazed by it, and it is impressive, but how many times has that been because he overly cautious at times and not willing to take risks? Same with Watson. You look at his sack numbers and you would think this guy had the worst OL in the league but that's because he's notorious for holding onto the ball too long and not willing to take risks.

13 hours ago, Sugashane said:

This is a key point. This is why I am more than happy to see Fields get to play out a 5th year option or even a franchise tag if we aren't sure he is a top 10 QB yet. Even for a guy that is 11-15, which is far better than we are use to as Bears fans, I just don't think I can be on board with the massive contracts being handed out to QBs. I like how the Browns handled Baker honestly, he is a guy that can win a good amount of games but is he a guy I feel like I can dedicate 15 to 19% of you salary cap to and still win in the postseason.

I think the risk they assumed with Watson with a fully guaranteed contract is crazy though. Love the talent, but damn. lol

Paying the wrong QB is the quickest way an NFL team can go wrong. Unfortunately there are a lot more "wrong guys" than people are willing to accept. There are maybe 3-4 elite QBs who consistently elevate the team around them. Those are the guys you pay. Paying anyone else puts you in purgatory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Paying the wrong QB is the quickest way an NFL team can go wrong. Unfortunately there are a lot more "wrong guys" than people are willing to accept. There are maybe 3-4 elite QBs who consistently elevate the team around them. Those are the guys you pay. Paying anyone else puts you in purgatory.

Interestingly, the Rams paid Goff and Bradford and got out from under both.   Philly got out of Wentz and miraculously so did Indy.

Lions got out of Stafford.  

Houston got out of Watson.  There was someone else too ... can't think of him off top my head.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Interestingly, the Rams paid Goff and Bradford and got out from under both.   Philly got out of Wentz and miraculously so did Indy.

Lions got out of Stafford.  

Houston got out of Watson.  There was someone else too ... can't think of him off top my head.

Foles LOL.  Jacksonville got out of Foles.

Can't believe I forgot that one.   There was another one though ...