2022 Around league

dll2000

I don’t know if I believe this whole narrative that the Lions are going to be looking to replace Goff. I think during the trade it was entirely possible (probably even) that his acquisition was a stop gap to shore up the position until an actual qb fell to them. But he is coming off a 4500 yard season and was a significant part of their success. He’s only 28, still in his prime. The Lions failures last season were essentially all defense and with a DT at 6 and CB at 18, they’re instantly looking better. To draft a qb there (or higher) would be the dumbest move they could make with the cards they have to play. 

7 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I don’t know if I believe this whole narrative that the Lions are going to be looking to replace Goff. I think during the trade it was entirely possible (probably even) that his acquisition was a stop gap to shore up the position until an actual qb fell to them. But he is coming off a 4500 yard season and was a significant part of their success. He’s only 28, still in his prime. The Lions failures last season were essentially all defense and with a DT at 6 and CB at 18, they’re instantly looking better. To draft a qb there (or higher) would be the dumbest move they could make with the cards they have to play. 

I’m with you on this one. I don’t love Goff, but he was really effective for them last year and he’s surrounded by good young talent that isn’t going anywhere. Honestly I see them more as a team that could trade down from 6 to a QB needy team more than as a team that takes the QB themselves. 

18 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I think Detroit is going to stay with Goff if I had to bet on it.  My point is I wouldn't. 

In their defense there are a lot of examples of a great teams elevating QBs rather than other way around.  

You can use Goff himself as a prime example.   Give him Kupp, Woods, Cook, Higbee and Gurley with a great defense and Goff can get you to a super bowl and go to pro bowl. 

Take a couple of guys away and Goff looks pretty pedestrian, really bad at times.  

Give him a bad defense and one Receiver, TE and RB (sound familiar?) and you get 2021 Goff.   Lions drafted number 1 overall that year and Goff was a bum.   

Following year add DJ Chark and some other FAs, get healthier, add blue chip talent in draft, your blue chip talent from year prior gets better and you get 2022 Goff.   They won 9 games in 2022 in a big improvement and Goff looked okay to good.

But I think McVay had right of it in end and also Jeff Fisher for that matter.  

Don't forget this performance on biggest stage:

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/2/3/18209935/jared-goff-bad-performance-super-bowl-53-rams-patriots

Goff just isn't that good.  I would rather upgrade at QB than try to load up around him.  

I think Detroit will find out same.   For Goff to get you all the way to trophy it has to be on a supremely loaded team.  It's possible Detroit can build a really good team  if they keep drafting well.  But I wouldn't bet on a title with Goff.  

Detroit is building 12 win, 1 or 2 playoff win teams if they stay with Goff IMO.

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Goff just isn't that good.  I would rather upgrade at QB than try to load up around him.  

I think Detroit will find out same. 

Detroits going to have to find that out before they do that, which will be longer than just one season in which he looked good. I’m not saying at any point that Goff is elite or will ever enable a team to contend for an actual Super Bowl, but he’s doing enough right now and in the near future to not give Detroit a legitimate consideration for taking a qb. I guess unless Caleb Williams fell into their lap. I’m personally not overly confident with this class as a whole for qb. 

28 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Detroit is building 12 win, 1 or 2 playoff win teams if they stay with Goff IMO.

we’ve been watching Detroit long enough to know that’s still an absolute win for the franchise. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think Detroit is going to stay with Goff if I had to bet on it.  My point is I wouldn't. 

In their defense there are a lot of examples of a great teams elevating QBs rather than other way around.  

You can use Goff himself as a prime example.   Give him Kupp, Woods, Cook, Higbee and Gurley with a great defense and Goff can get you to a super bowl and go to pro bowl. 

Take a couple of guys away and Goff looks pretty pedestrian, really bad at times. 

Agree completely, but at the same time he’s gonna have Amon-Ra, Jameson Williams, Swift plus a good young OL around him for the foreseeable future, plus whatever else they can add this offseason. He’s kind of in that place now where he’s set up to succeed in the same way he did with the Rams too.

They’ll be interesting to watch this offseason. Both choices for DET can make a lot of sense. Go get a top prospect QB and if it hits you’re possibly great for 10 years, but maybe less good in 2023 too. Or, use your considerable draft assets to load up everywhere else and put a solid-not-great Goff in charge of a potential mega team for the next few years and maybe limit the long term outlook, but also probably set up a better chance to win big in 2023-24. It’s probably both an enviable and unenviable position for an executive. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Detroits going to have to find that out before they do that, which will be longer than just one season in which he looked good. I’m not saying at any point that Goff is elite or will ever enable a team to contend for an actual Super Bowl, but he’s doing enough right now and in the near future to not give Detroit a legitimate consideration for taking a qb. I guess unless Caleb Williams fell into their lap. I’m personally not overly confident with this class as a whole for qb. 

we’ve been watching Detroit long enough to know that’s still an absolute win for the franchise. 

I seem to remember a fanbase that recently wildly celebrated a 12 win season and quick playoff exit.

I was part of that too.  But, it's not for me long term.  

I would rather be on a totally stink for a bit and hopefully get really good cycle than always patching the quilt.  I was fine with us losing games this year.   I was rooting for it even.  

Lions and Browns ineptitude in draft for a decade plus was pretty astonishing.   Random big board choices would have done better.

40 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agree completely, but at the same time he’s gonna have Amon-Ra, Jameson Williams, Swift plus a good young OL around him for the foreseeable future, plus whatever else they can add this offseason. He’s kind of in that place now where he’s set up to succeed in the same way he did with the Rams too.

They’ll be interesting to watch this offseason. Both choices for DET can make a lot of sense. Go get a top prospect QB and if it hits you’re possibly great for 10 years, but maybe less good in 2023 too. Or, use your considerable draft assets to load up everywhere else and put a solid-not-great Goff in charge of a potential mega team for the next few years and maybe limit the long term outlook, but also probably set up a better chance to win big in 2023-24. It’s probably both an enviable and unenviable position for an executive. 

I was saying Detroit roster in preseason was way better than Bears on paper.  I put up side by sides on multiple threads.  I argued it elsewhere.

I said they have 2 good OTs and a good C.  That is proper way to build an OL.  I wanted DJ Chark for Bears.  I think their hurt rookie WR is really good.    I thought their last two drafts were really good.   

Here and on twitter all I got was "Lions are going to Lion."    Beginning of season had me looking stupid though.   

They have two first rounders again this year.   Guessing they aren't getting two sucky players.

On 2/8/2023 at 3:30 PM, Ty21 said:

Agree, and I'm one of his biggest skeptics here. If I am DET I am happily rolling with him and stacking the team around him, and if he falls apart then he can be cut for pennies next year and save over $20 mil. DET will have that money open to re-sign players and go after FAs, and then can just trade up for their rookie prospect.

Goff can't be counted on for a long-term commitment yet but he was significantly better than he has been since his two great years for the Rams. I was expecting him to fall apart late after a solid first half of the season, but then he had an even better second half.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Does anyone have any special plans for the Super Bowl?

We are having a bigger get together than usual for my family. All meeting at my brother's house. Rumors of Mario Kart being brought out to splinter the girls' relationships for a number of years has come up.

I will be leaving town today to church retreat in WI with like 20 11-13 year olds boys in my particular cabin.  Thankfully 3 other adults with me in there.  

The 6th graders in my group are the loudest humans I have ever been around in my life.  They are all so naturally loud that they tend to continually turn up volume to be heard over one another.  They all just talk at once all time.  Going to be an experience.  

Will be back in town on zero sleep on Sunday around 4.  Go home eat and probably fall asleep watching SB.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

We are having a bigger get together than usual for my family. All meeting at my brother's house. Rumors of Mario Kart being brought out to splinter the girls' relationships for a number of years has come up.

oh ****, we're throwing a party with 30+ people and just remembered my gf has a 64 in her closet. that will get pulled out for pregame tournaments

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Unfortunately nothing special. I will be traveling to Chicago this weekend for a funeral so I will try to connect with one of my buddies while I'm there to watch the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I will be leaving town today to church retreat in WI with like 20 11-13 year olds boys in my particular cabin.  Thankfully 3 other adults with me in there.  

The 6th graders in my group are the loudest humans I have ever been around in my life.  They are all so naturally loud that they tend to continually turn up volume to be heard over one another.  They all just talk at once all time.  Going to be an experience.  

Will be back in town on zero sleep on Sunday around 4.  Go home eat and probably fall asleep watching SB.  

Honestly I said, "Oh no" when you mentioned that many kids in one cabin. lol  Very cool though. We just went to a big concert with our church last week. This summer my older two want to do a church camp like I went to.

Some ear buds and a charging brick can be a lifesaver. I listen to books a lot when I take a group of kids to a game. My son is Taz when he wakes up and I don't let him take his ADHD meds until he eats breakfast, so sometimes I regret life choices until it kicks in.

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

oh ****, we're throwing a party with 30+ people and just remembered my gf has a 64 in her closet. that will get pulled out for pregame tournaments

Welp. I'm officially middle aged. I got tired just thinking about that. 😅  

I enjoy parties and will go to a few a year, but hosting them? You're a more patient man than me. We get 4-5 guys together and the girls and kids all get together but that isn't even weekly anymore since all our kids are in sports. When football ends we generally bring out the instruments and remember why we never do shows. Fun though.

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

Unfortunately nothing special. I will be traveling to Chicago this weekend for a funeral so I will try to connect with one of my buddies while I'm there to watch the game.

Damn man I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully you guys can hang out and enjoy some time catching up. If anything there should be plenty of action in Chicago to get a story or two.

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Damn man I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully you guys can hang out and enjoy some time catching up. If anything there should be plenty of action in Chicago to get a story or two.

Thanks brother. That's the plan. I haven't been back home since 2014 so it will be nice to catch up with the crew. Wish it was under better circumstances but such is life. The older you get the more frequently these things occur. The only thing you can do is make the best of whatever life throws at you.

• Like 1