Riley Ferguson | QB | Memphis

Da_Ducktator

Wanted to provide my scouting report of Ferguson and just kind of open the topic of discussion on him to gauge people's opinions because despite a great year (individually and team-wise), still seems to be flying under the radar a bit.

This is my rough idea of how I want to present my scouting reports (below), but I'm open for comments and suggestions on the format in addition to the report on Ferguson itself.

Riley Ferguson | Memphis | QB

6'4" | 210 lbs.

Strengths: Naturally strong arm who can really fling it when everything is clicking... Trusts his arm and his receivers... Ball spins well when he is able to throw with his feet set...Solid, though not great athlete, but has good foot quickness and is clean in his drop-back... Displays good control of his offense, identifying blitzes presnap and making a choice on the uncovered man... While at Memphis, has displayed a competitive nature, never giving up in games despite the score (see the 2017 UCF game), and all reports point to him being a positive leader for the team... Shows the ability to drop it in a bucket down-field... Does a nice job of knowing when to drill it in or put touch on the ball... 24-9 record as a starter dating back to JUCO (as of nine games through 2017)... Throws with a nice base most of the time, keeping his feet shoulder-width apart...

Weaknesses: Biggest problem mentally may be that while he makes quick decisions, he seems dead-set in those opinions... Doesn't scan the field much or go through progressions, more-so identifying a receiver or side presnap and sticking with it... Physically his biggest issue is a skinny lower body and rarely setting his feet on throws when asked to move... Accuracy is erratic in large part due to the fact that his front leg is stiff on throws, not properly stepping towards his throws and following through with his lower body and midsection... Offense he plays in also has a lot of overloaded sides and designed roll outs in those directions, not asking him to drop straight back and climb the pocket much (though he has flashed the ability to do so)... While you admire the confidence he has throwing, it leaves him prone to mistakes... Has a wind-up motion that hinders the quickness of his release... Isn't asked to go under center much... Not a threat to run... Fades away from pressure at times that isn't necessarily there (phantom pressure)... Left the Tennessee program after a spring camp battle and will leave force NFL teams to do some digging to the full nature of his departure... Didn't handle leaving the Volunteers in an exceptional mature way, leaving because he &wasn't happy& and not notifying anybody with the program until it was time to report and they called to ask where he was...

Overall: Ferguson is a fearless gunslinger on the field who is going to make some mistakes, but going to provide some brilliant moments as well. Going to need polishing but has some good tools to work with. Patience with him could lead to a guy who could make starts in the league, but he's never going to stop getting himself into trouble due the nature of the way he plays with extreme confidence in his arm and surrounding talent. Main thing that will affect his grade with NFL teams is how he handles the grilling over the UT departure. If he has learned from his immaturity with that instance though, than he's worth taking a chance on to develop.

Grade: 4th Round

Archived