1. 1. choose

• LAVONTE DAVID
    • FRED WARNER
    • DEMARIO DAVIS
    • ERIC KENDRICKS
    • BOBBY WAGNER
    • DARIUS LEONARD
    • ROQUAN SMITH

How in the hell is Tremaine Edmunds not on this list?  With his size, versatility in coverage and overall upside still being only 24 the dude is a super star ILB.

And isn't Darius Leonard a OLB not a ILB?  Even Fred Warner sure he plays ILB but just because of the scheme, physically and in how he plays he is a OLB with his versatility.  

Also isn't Devin White superior to LaVonte David in almost every way?  I would put Devin White on the list ahead of David and he is right up there with anyone.  Bobby Wagner is awesome but he is up there in age and might be on the decline but will see.  Maybe on the Rams he will get back to the old Bobby Wagner.  

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

And isn't Darius Leonard a OLB not a ILB?  Even Fred Warner sure he plays ILB but just because of the scheme, physically and in how he plays he is a OLB with his versatility.  

I think OP is referring to off-ball linebackers rather than just purely ILB.

45 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

I think OP is referring to off-ball linebackers rather than just purely ILB.

Well if that is the case then no ILB in a 3/4 defense should be included in a way.   Deion Jones is then what a ILB then?  Kyzir White, who was last year in a 3/4 was but with the Eagles I assume he will be a OLB.  DeVondre Campbell is another, but he is more of a length coverage ILB who can drop back, that is why they got the hammer ILB in Quay Walker to be more the downhill type.

ILB to me is that downhill type, but it is hard because all of them have to be versatile in coverage and good enough in coverage.  And even what a 3/4 OLB is a on the ball linebacker yet a lot of them are asked to drop in coverage as well so it is not like they are 100% pass rushing, even true DEs drop in coverage.

22 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Well if that is the case then no ILB in a 3/4 defense should be included in a way.   Deion Jones is then what a ILB then?  Kyzir White, who was last year in a 3/4 was but with the Eagles I assume he will be a OLB.  DeVondre Campbell is another, but he is more of a length coverage ILB who can drop back, that is why they got the hammer ILB in Quay Walker to be more the downhill type.

ILB to me is that downhill type, but it is hard because all of them have to be versatile in coverage and good enough in coverage.  And even what a 3/4 OLB is a on the ball linebacker yet a lot of them are asked to drop in coverage as well so it is not like they are 100% pass rushing, even true DEs drop in coverage.

I'm not sure Campbell is that anymore.

He was moved to the ILB spot in GB.  Why?  Because that is the position that he wanted to play.

I believe Quay will be that guy as well.  They want them interchangeable and to be 3 down players.

I don't think there is a true "downhill" and "coverage" ILB in the GB scheme anymore.  Depending on the offensive set, they will both be doing both.

At least that is what was being reported after GB drafted Quay.

Regarding Campbell.... "Campbell wanted to be a MIKE, and the Packers kept their promise of giving the player what he wanted. According to Pro Football Focus, Campbell played a saw a career-high in snaps as a true inside linebacker."

Here's the link when Campbell talks about how he was good in GB and why he re-signed.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/20/trust-unlocked-devondre-campbells-all-pro-potential-with-packers/

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not sure Campbell is that anymore.

He was moved to the ILB spot in GB.  Why?  Because that is the position that he wanted to play.

I believe Quay will be that guy as well.  They want them interchangeable and to be 3 down players.

I don't think there is a true "downhill" and "coverage" ILB in the GB scheme anymore.  Depending on the offensive set, they will both be doing both.

At least that is what was being reported after GB drafted Quay.

Regarding Campbell.... "Campbell wanted to be a MIKE, and the Packers kept their promise of giving the player what he wanted. According to Pro Football Focus, Campbell played a saw a career-high in snaps as a true inside linebacker."

Here's the link when Campbell talks about how he was good in GB and why he re-signed.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/20/trust-unlocked-devondre-campbells-all-pro-potential-with-packers/

Regardless the dude was put in coverage situations last year, he had 2 INTs and 5 passes deflected so he is asked to cover and compared to Barnes who sucked, pretty sure he was the coverage guy of that group of two or the ideal guy in coverage.  But yeah he is versatile and most backers are asked to do a variety of things, still in terms of being a true ILB, again not sure a 3/4 ILB is even close to the same thing as a 4/3 ILB in what they are asked to do.  

Like the Ravens 3/4 ILBs, Queen and Bynes are just asked to run and make plays, and they drafted McClain who is a smaller athletic LB to play ILB in that system as well.  They want versatility and speed there obviously and none are really a physical ILB at all and they are all about speed and quickness.  

5 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Because PFF says he sucks. If PFF doesn't love you, you ain't in the convo.

Bills were the #1 D in the NFL last year, #1 in last amount of yards given up per game and least amount of points given up per game etc.   Pretty sure Edmunds helped greatly with that using his length in coverage and his size and physical strength in run D.

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Regardless the dude was put in coverage situations last year, he had 2 INTs and 5 passes deflected so he is asked to cover and compared to Barnes who sucked, pretty sure he was the coverage guy of that group of two or the ideal guy in coverage.  But yeah he is versatile and most backers are asked to do a variety of things, still in terms of being a true ILB, again not sure a 3/4 ILB is even close to the same thing as a 4/3 ILB in what they are asked to do.  

Like the Ravens 3/4 ILBs, Queen and Bynes are just asked to run and make plays, and they drafted McClain who is a smaller athletic LB to play ILB in that system as well.  They want versatility and speed there obviously and none are really a physical ILB at all and they are all about speed and quickness.  

Bills were the #1 D in the NFL last year, #1 in last amount of yards given up per game and least amount of points given up per game etc.   Pretty sure Edmunds helped greatly with that using his length in coverage and his size and physical strength in run D.

You are talking like 4-3 and 3-4 are the "common" defenses run, when the reality is most teams are in a nickel for the majority of the game.   

54 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You are talking like 4-3 and 3-4 are the "common" defenses run, when the reality is most teams are in a nickel for the majority of the game.   

Agreed, the Bills the best D in the NFL played 5 DBs 90% of the time or something like that.  But with Von Miller now on the roster not sure that will always be the case but Milano is athletic and has range which helps same with Edumnds.  

The secondary will be great though, and really Hyde coming into the NFL had corner ability and played corner in college, Poyer did a bit as well if I remember correct.  So in some ways they have 5 CBs or DBs with great ball skills and Elam could be a star in the NFL if he stays healthy.  

CB T. White / D. Jackson
SS J. Poyer
FS M. Hyde
Nickel T. Johnson
CB K. Elam / S. Neal

Either way Campbell is asked to cover and does it a lot.  Mind you no way the Packers play nickel 90% of the game, granted maybe they move Gary to edge and take on one of the DEs but then it is more like a 3/3/5

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Agreed, the Bills the best D in the NFL played 5 DBs 90% of the time or something like that.  But with Von Miller now on the roster not sure that will always be the case but Milano is athletic and has range which helps same with Edumnds.  

The secondary will be great though, and really Hyde coming into the NFL had corner ability and played corner in college, Poyer did a bit as well if I remember correct.  So in some ways they have 5 CBs or DBs with great ball skills and Elam could be a star in the NFL if he stays healthy.  

CB T. White / D. Jackson
SS J. Poyer
FS M. Hyde
Nickel T. Johnson
CB K. Elam / S. Neal

Either way Campbell is asked to cover and does it a lot.  Mind you no way the Packers play nickel 90% of the game, granted maybe they move Gary to edge and take on one of the DEs but then it is more like a 3/3/5

I can't comment about the Bills as I do not watch them.  But Hyde?  Yah, came from GB.  Love that guy. 

But Gary?  He's an EDGE all day long.  Not a DE.  GB is typically 2 DL, 2 EDGE and that is the front.  Both EDGE players stand up.  2 ILB's behind them.  3 corners.  2 safeties.

If they are playing a heavy running team, then you see a little 3 DL, 2 EDGE, 2 ILB, 2 corners, 2 safeties.  

Campbell doesn't really man cover.  He drops into a short zone and more or less reads the QB's eyes..  Rarely runs with a TE.  Quay should be doing that.  But I feel like we will see a 1 DL, 3 EDGE, 2 ILB, 3 corners and 2 safety looks.  Gary should rush like Z did, inside, while Quay and Preston take the EDGE rushes.

Prior to Quay, GB tried to sub out Barnes a lot on passing downs and get a 3rd safety in there.  Maybe they still try to do that this year, but who knows.

On 7/6/2022 at 12:13 PM, Ozzy said:

How in the hell is Tremaine Edmunds not on this list?  With his size, versatility in coverage and overall upside still being only 24 the dude is a super star ILB.

Also isn't Devin White superior to LaVonte David in almost every way?  I would put Devin White on the list ahead of David and he is right up there with anyone.  Bobby Wagner is awesome but he is up there in age and might be on the decline but will see.  Maybe on the Rams he will get back to the old Bobby Wagner.  

Milano>>>>Edmunds