The 22 49ers are going to have a Historic Defense with DeMeco Ryans

N4L

Posted (edited)

The first part of this post is basically just a DeMeco Ryans love letter. That man is amazing. We lost McDaniel and Wes Welker etc etc but if I had to choose only one coordinator to stay, DeMeco is an easy choice for me. 

I really hope we can get him to commit long term. Jed - pay this man like a HC. It probably wont happen because he is absolutely HC material and I think the league will eventually pry him away, but for the time being, this man is a grand chess master and I am imesurably excited that I get to see this man work on a weekly basis.

He is masterful in how he utilizes the pieces he has. The coverage combinations are superb and he has always had an incredible feel for the game of football. He was born to be a field general. His mind has always been his greatest asset. 

Hopefully he understands the value of having nick bosa fred warner arik kinlaw ward ward etc and realizes CA is a great place to live and work, and that there is a lot of honor in being a DC on a SB caliber team. Feels unlikely though. 

This defense has some fukin dogs on it. This DL is going to EAT. (RIP DJJ) We FINALLY have DE depth!! 

Corner has more talent than I can remember. We have three good LBs. Jimmie Ward is an all pro in my book. 

A few years ago, this defense had sloppy and unorganized coverages. Guys like Jimmie and Fred focused on fixing that, being fundamentally sound in all areas and being sure tacklers.

I saw Fred change the way he tackles towards the end of the season. He tries to punch the ball damn near every time hes near the ballcarrier. Hes started to get a couple of those now that its a focus of his game. The one he forced in GB flipped the game. 

We saw Jimmie ward finally get his hands on the ball. Takeaways are the final piece to both of their games and they know it.

This defense is going to HUNT people. This DL is SCARY and we are going to absolutely shut a lot of teams down

The schedule features a lot of tough QBs. I saw damn near every QB we play in 2019 have their worst game. In week 12 or 13 we were averaging 125 passing yards allowed per game. Thats just nuts. This defense has the potential to be even better than that team. 

This defense is going to be so good it may make Kyle get conservative on the other side of the ball. The bulk passing stats may not be there for Lance because we may (hopefully!) have the lead a lot, and perhaps big leads means garbage yards/points for opposing offenses, so its unlikely given those two factors that this defense gets recognized statistically adjacent to teams like the 2000 ravens, but you better bet your a ss this defense is going to have a superbowl caliber season

Edited by N4L

Honestly, I was thinking the same thing last week lol. Only thing I worry about is our run defense without Kinlaw. We lost DJ Jones who was AMAZING in the run game and now if Kinlaw continues to be injury prone, will it hold up? We are so damn deep at DL/LB and have some very solid corners with a great cover safety. There's some questions, especially at NB and SS but I think we will be fine there. Ryans is very good and he has shown he can make adjustments and learns from his prior mistakes. If Bosa stays healthy, this will be a top 2 defense, and there is a good chance it will be the BEST defense. We will be even a better running team with Lance so the defense will be well rested and be playing with the lead in most games. 

This defense can challenge the 2011 and 2019 defenses.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This defense can challenge the 2011 and 2019 defenses.

On paper, yes. Have to see how it all plays out though. Those defenses has a certain chemistry and cohesion that just manifested with the right additions. TBD how all the pieces fit together this year for that unit. But on paper, it looks to be damn good I will say.

As far as the run defense, I think we'll be fine. AA is still here and is a very good run defender. If Hurst can stay healthy, that would be a huge boost also, as he's a underrated run stopper. And I like Darrion Daniels's ability in that area as well.

Edited by 757-NINER

18 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

And I like Darrion Daniels's ability in that area as well

Don't think he's on the team any more. Pretty sure he's not on the 90

4 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

On paper, yes. Have to see how it all plays out though. Those defenses has a certain chemistry and cohesion that just manifested with the right additions. TBD how all the pieces fit together this year for that unit. But on paper, it looks to be damn good I will say.

As far as the run defense, I think we'll be fine. AA is still here and is a very good run defender. If Hurst can stay healthy, that would be a huge boost also, as he's a underrated run stopper. And I like Darrion Daniels's ability in that area as well.

AA inside will definitely help the run defense but make no mistake, Kinlaw will have to be a factor in that regard as well. I want to see if he can provide anything aside from a bull rush in the passing game. 

But man this DL is so damn deep and we have a lot of really good secondary players that it's going to be hard to imagine this team not being top 2-3. 

I just hope the OL is decent enough because if that unit is even average, this team is going to win 12-13 games, despite the hellacious schedule. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I want to see if he can provide anything aside from a bull rush in the passing game. 

He has better ball skills than Jimmie Ward...

• Like 1