New Stadium Thread

e16bball

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If they go to Virginia, especially with the way the franchise is now, they will lose the rest of the Maryland fans to the Ravens.  Right now before rush hour it is 1 hour and 13 minutes to get from work to Woodbridge.  Probably double that with stadium traffic.  I’m not doing that and I have memories tied up in attending games and family history with the team.  

Folks with much less connection aren’t going to do it either.  

They’ve lost all of MD to the Ravens. The only counties which are split Commanders/Ravens are Montgomery County, PG, and the southern Maryland counties of Charles, Calvert & St. Mary’s.

Everything north, west & east favors the Ravens heavily & even up into Delaware.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If they go to Virginia, especially with the way the franchise is now, they will lose the rest of the Maryland fans to the Ravens.  Right now before rush hour it is 1 hour and 13 minutes to get from work to Woodbridge.  Probably double that with stadium traffic.  I’m not doing that and I have memories tied up in attending games and family history with the team.  

Folks with much less connection aren’t going to do it either.  

Theyll gain far more fans going forward out Virginia than theyd keep in Maryland. And since making the move, best to do it while fandom is at a low and reboot in this way that will gain heading into the future.

And all you landlovers forget about the power of the Potomac.

6hdsoj.jpg

5 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Theyll gain far more fans going forward out Virginia than theyd keep in Maryland. And since making the move, best to do it while fandom is at a low and reboot in this way that will gain heading into the future.

6hdsoj.jpg

This. And while my preference is to keep the stadium right where it is (so my taxes don't go up and MD's do), I think it's a smart move by the team to move it to VA for this reason. Already most of the fans come from VA. DC is a transplant city with varying allegiances and most of the MD fanbase has eroded anyway.

And while I understand those in DC and MD who might complain about traveling 30 miles to the stadium, I currently travel about 60 miles (one way) to get to games. And have done this for decades. So I'm less than sympathetic to those who will not go to games if it goes to VA (Dulles or Woodbridge). No disrespect intended. I feel for them as it will be a change to their usual gameday pattern. But they will either adjust or not. We're currently not able to get people from DC/MD to come to games now and it's close to them. So why not move it to where the bulk of the fans are anyway and tap into the fans that might be able to come from further South and West who currently don't because of the distance?

JerruhWorld doesn't have mass transit and people have to travel to get to the stadium. And yet, it's packed. Those who currently metro or are used to a 10 minute ride to the stadium will adjust. 30 miles is not that bad and there are many ways to get to Woodbridge without using 95.

But again, winning solves everything. If we're winning, we'll fill the stadium. And if we continue losing, then it doesn't matter where it is (as the current location proves).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

6hdsoj.jpg

I can hit over half of the golf clubs in my bag into the bay from the front of my yard so………not a land lover.  

The fans they are punting away, as @turtle28detailed, are from areas that have a lot of disposable income, some of the most in the DMV area.  I wouldn’t be ignoring them and be ready to let them all go away.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I can hit over half of the golf clubs in my bag into the bay from the front of my yard so………not a land lover.  

The fans they are punting away, as @turtle28detailed, are from areas that have a lot of disposable income, some of the most in the DMV area.  I wouldn’t be ignoring them and be ready to let them all go away.  

I understand. And yet, the two wealthiest counties in the country are in VA.

I we're going by disposable incomes (with a metric of the difference between income and cost of living), then none in MD come close. Meanwhile 4 counties in NoVA (near where the Woodbridge site is) make the top 10.

https://www.kiplinger.com/real-estate/603232/the-real-richest-counties-in-the-us

• Prince William County (where the stadium might be built on the land they just optioned) is #7
  • Fairfax County #4
  • Stafford County (the county just below Prince William that they can tap more into with a move to Woodbridge) is #2
  • Loudoun County (where I live) is #1

Right now the counties you're talking about in MD aren't going to games anyway since most of the fans are coming from VA. It's not necessarily about "walking away from them" or "punting them away". They've already walked away or have punted themselves for the most part because of Snyder's poor management of the team and the poor product on the field. 

Again, though, I need to say this. I want it to stay right where it is. But if they move to VA, I think long-term it's the smarter move in terms of demographics. And like I said, while it may not be the case for you, there will be fans who make the 30-mile trek to the game. I do it at twice that distance and have done it for over 20 years (most of them doing 10+ games per year - with both preseason/all regular season/and playoffs). If we starting putting a consistent winner the stadium will be packed. If we don't, it won't (and we haven't and it's still not packed even when it's "close to metro" and "in MD").

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The stretch between Richmond and DC has been jumping in growth. Many from NVA have been moving south and commuting up. Fredricksburg region, King George County booming with residential development. And those north of Woodbridge, there mere miles away. I dont see where they have any right to complain. When theres 10s of thousands of Virginians wanting a pro team in their state to capitalize off. Theyll gain the Richmond/Fredericksburg/Ashland/Mechanicsville/Charlottesville and such base entirely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

I understand. And yet, the two wealthiest counties in the country are in VA.

I we're going by disposable incomes (with a metric of the difference between income and cost of living), then none in MD come close. Meanwhile 4 counties in NoVA (near where the Woodbridge site is) make the top 10.

https://www.kiplinger.com/real-estate/603232/the-real-richest-counties-in-the-us

• Prince William County (where the stadium might be built on the land they just optioned) is #7
  • Fairfax County #4
  • Stafford County (the county just below Prince William that they can tap more into with a move to Woodbridge) is #2
  • Loudoun County (where I live) is #1

Right now the counties you're talking about in MD aren't going to games anyway since most of the fans are coming from VA. It's not necessarily about "walking away from them" or "punting them away". They've already walked away or have punted themselves for the most part because of Snyder's poor management of the team and the poor product on the field. 

Again, though, I need to say this. I want it to stay right where it is. But if they move to VA, I think long-term it's the smarter move in terms of demographics. And like I said, while it may not be the case for you, there will be fans who make the 30-mile trek to the game. I do it at twice that distance and have done it for over 20 years (most of them doing 10+ games per year - with both preseason/all regular season/and playoffs). If we starting putting a consistent winner the stadium will be packed. If we don't, it won't (and we haven't and it's still not packed even when it's "close to metro" and "in MD").

Montgomery County “where I live!” Since were doing that, is ranked 19th in the country 

The median household income is $110,389. 

There are 3,144 counties and equivalents in the United States. The source of the data is the US Census Bureau and the data is current as of the indicated year.

My parents house is worth like $700,000 it’s near the Kentlands in Gaithersburg, MD; they paid $120,000 for it in 1983. My sister and brother-in-law spent $950,000 on their house in Darnestown MD in 2012. It’s worth $1.3 million now.

And that’s not even counting Potomac Maryland where Dan Snyder used to live, Alonzo Morning, Sugar Ray Leonard, Mike Tyson & others used to have houses or currently do.

Ted Leonsis lives in Potomac Maryland. The Lerners live in Chevy Chase, Md.

Just saying, really wealthy people live in MoCo. Virginia has more as it has more people & more big business plus more high ranking career military jobs but, Maryland is not far off. There are 272,000 millionaires in Virginia & 222,000 in Maryland.

Edited by turtle28

46 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Snyder should just build a floating stadium that just circles above DMV.  It will land in 6 different locations before and after the games to pick up people and drop people off near there homes.

Avg age of fans jumping from low 20s to 50 over the past 20 years.

Might be best going forward to build a giant nursing home and stick a field in the middle.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Snyder should just build a floating stadium that just circles above DMV.  It will land in 6 different locations before and after the games to pick up people and drop people off near there homes.

That would be awesome 😎 

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I hear ya, I’ve just never considered PWC NoVa myself but I do hear ya that it is.

I honestly say I grew up in NoVA now even though most people don't consider Fauquier that but it's more NoVA than Central VA in my mind. Most of my life was traveling towards DC rather than towards RVA. It's splitting hairs, but you tell me, ya know? 

14 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I honestly say I grew up in NoVA now even though most people don't consider Fauquier that but it's more NoVA than Central VA in my mind. Most of my life was traveling towards DC rather than towards RVA. It's splitting hairs, but you tell me, ya know? 

I agree, I guess I just always considered Arlington, Fairfax & Loudon more NoVa than that area but I’m sure the ppl that live in PWC or Fauquier consider themselves NoVa or at least the majority of them.

36 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I agree, I guess I just always considered Arlington, Fairfax & Loudon more NoVa than that area but I’m sure the ppl that live in PWC or Fauquier consider themselves NoVa or at least the majority of them.

I don't think you're wrong either. Not everyone from Fauquier holds the same thought I do, so I guess it truly is a frame of mind. 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Montgomery County “where I live!” Since were doing that, is ranked 19th in the country 

The median household income is $110,389. 

There are 3,144 counties and equivalents in the United States. The source of the data is the US Census Bureau and the data is current as of the indicated year.

My parents house is worth like $700,000 it’s near the Kentlands in Gaithersburg, MD; they paid $120,000 for it in 1983. My sister and brother-in-law spent $950,000 on their house in Darnestown MD in 2012. It’s worth $1.3 million now.

And that’s not even counting Potomac Maryland where Dan Snyder used to live, Alonzo Morning, Sugar Ray Leonard, Mike Tyson & others used to have houses or currently do.

Ted Leonsis lives in Potomac Maryland. The Lerners live in Chevy Chase, Md.

Just saying, really wealthy people live in MoCo. Virginia has more as it has more people & more big business plus more high ranking career military jobs but, Maryland is not far off. There are 272,000 millionaires in Virginia & 222,000 in Maryland.

The amount of money in the immediate Bowie/Landover community can’t be ignored either.