I'm guaranteeing Playoffs for Washington in 2022 season. Not gonna lie....my reason is whack, but I believe it will be true.

So let me preface this thread by saying I'm not guaranteeing the Divisional crown.

Or even a SB appearance. I can't dip my foot in that pool, yet.

But I'm 100% guaranteeing a Playoff birth. Maybe that includes a winning record, or maybe not. (See: 2020 team season)

So I decided to do a little research on teams that not only changed their team name, or Suffix?

But also their helmet logo &/or team colors & design.

The results I found were astonishing! ๐Ÿคฃ

We don't have to look back too far into the WFT 2020 season. 1st year with the name Redskins replaced. Numbers on the helmet. Pretty significant changes. The result? 7-9 record, Won Division & playoff birth.

No big deal, got lucky & probably just a coincidence, right? Or was it?

Now I didn't want to go back too far in the history because the NFL went through a lot of changes on teams, franchises, etc. So I decided to just stay in the modern era, or the AFL/NFL merger.ย 

Most teams have had tweaks on their uniforms. So this isn't including teams that have had little or minor changes to their uni's or helmet logo's.ย 

I'm talking about helmet logo's, color changes or modifications of significance, but also team name changes as well, if not both.

Then I decided to look at their respected season that same year of the change. How did they do? Did they suck, like you would expect a newly Expansion Franchise to suck? (Even though these teams weren't expansion teams?)

Let's take a look... ๐Ÿ‘€. ๐Ÿ‘€

1981 Bengals

Remember the old Cincinnati Bengals teams? I do. I'm that old. ๐Ÿ˜†ย 

Well, nothing's changed, much. Same ole' team.

Except in the year 1981. I was just a young kid & on the Redskins bandwagon even then.

Well, I remember QB Ken Anderson. Hell of a QB, I thought. They were always competitive with him at the Helm, it seemed. They always had sported the old Bengals lettering across the helmet. Literally, the word "Bengals" in black across their orange helmet.

Well, 1981 was the year they went with the Tiger Stripes. Completely changed their Logo. They didn't move or anything. But their colors were intense & very cool, I thought. Well, they finished the season 12-4 & lost the SB vs Joe Montana. (I know....I watched it & was rooting for the Bengals)

So moving on.....

1997 Broncos & Buccaneers

This year brought major changes to both these teams. Neither team moved or anything, but they both overhauled their colors, uni's & helmet logo's.

The Broncos went from the lighter blue helmet with the big "D", to the horse you see today.

The Buccaneers went from the white helmet with the lone Buccaneer on it with a dagger in his mouth, to what you see today. Dark peuter colors with the Bucs Flag Logo.

Well, the Broncos finished the year 12-4 & Bucs 10-6 & both making the Playoffs this same year.

1999 Titans

In 1997, the Houston Oilers & their Oil Rig Logo (one of my personal favorites btw...) moved to Tennessee. They became the Tennessee Oilers, but only changing the prefix of their name.

But in 1999, they changed their team name, colors & Logo to the Tennessee Titans & what you see today. In 1999, they finished the season at 13-3 & made the Playoffs & lost the SB vs Kurt Warner & the St. Louis Rams.

There were some misses, however....

The 1993 Patriots had a uniform & Logo transformation & made the Playoffs the following year in 1994.

The 2002 Seahawks had a uniform transformation & made the Playoffs the following year in 2003.

But neither of those teams changed their team name, either. So who knows?

The 1982 Raiders only changed their prefix from Oakland to L.A.ย  Minimal, if any changes to colors or uni's. It was also a strike season. They finished 8-1 that year. Won the SB the following year in 1983. ๐Ÿ˜–

ย 

So anyways...the point of this thread is this.

Don't count out Washington Commanders for the 2022 season.

Good things usually happen for teams immediately when they change their Colors, Logo's, or Team Suffix Name.

When they change both?

You can guarantee immediate success!! ๐Ÿ˜

Just something to think about.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We need to bump this thread, because I believe it has merit.

Teams that change their names, seem more likely than not to make the Playoffs in their debut season.

When we changed to WFT, what happened? We went 7-9, won the Division & made the Playoffs.

Now, here we are at 5-5.

I don't know how we get there. What games we'll win. But somehow, some way? This team will be one of the final 7 in the NFC Conference to be playing for a chance at a Superbowl.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 11:33 PM, aceinthehouse said:

We need to bump this thread, because I believe it has merit.

Teams that change their names, seem more likely than not to make the Playoffs in their debut season.

When we changed to WFT, what happened? We went 7-9, won the Division & made the Playoffs.

Now, here we are at 5-5.

I don't know how we get there. What games we'll win. But somehow, some way? This team will be one of the final 7 in the NFC Conference to be playing for a chance at a Superbowl.

Hereโ€™s my issue w/ if we can make the playoffs this year?

Weโ€™re going to probably have to get to 10 wins bc the Cowboys, Giants & 49ers probably are. Those 4 games we have against those teams in December are so huge, we have to win definitely 2, if not 3 of the 4 IMO to make the playoffs.

My feeling is we end up 9-8 or 8-9 and just miss the playoffs but I do see a path for us to get to 10-7 if we just beat the teams we should (Hou, ATL, CLE), split with the Giants & beat the Cowboys at home in week 18.

Remaining Schedule:

HOU: W (6-5)

Atl: W (7-5)

NYG: L (7-6)

NYG: W (8-6)

SF: L (8-7)

CLE: W (9-7)

DAL: W (10-7)

Edited by turtle28

• 2 weeks later...